Thread: Quilt Labels
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2010, 06:58 AM
grammypatty7

Originally Posted by stitchinwitch
Do you add a label on every quilt you make?

Do you attach it BEFORE quilting or After?

What form of label do you use? - on the roll, customized, embroidery the name or write it?
I try to add a label of some kind to every quilt that I give away. When possible, I use the text feature on my sewing machine to make one and put a pretty graphic border around the outside and hand sew it in place on the lower right hand corner of the back.

For years, I didn't have a sewing machine with text as mine kept working but the machine was good so I used a marking pen to write/print the info on and then hand embroidered right on the quilt. For the grandchildren who will take their quilts to college, I put the info on the front of the quilt either in a block in the center or the righ hand corner. That way people will think twice before stealing as the ownership info is in plain sight and not easily removed. A hand sewn tag could be removed from the back and another added to cover the stitching area. I also photo the quilt in progress and completed and with the owner so that if the need to prove ownership, I have it. Luckily none of the quilts have been stolen - other things sure have but not the quilts.