View Single Post
Old 04-27-2010, 06:46 AM
sewcrafty

Originally Posted by QBeth
Originally Posted by sewcrafty
...The prices for some of the notions, books, etc. I"ve purchased in the past have gone up soooooo much I can't understand how individuals just getting into this craft can afford it all. I'm just glad I purchased when I did, its made a huge difference on my pocketbook. Can't imagine just starting out in this!!
Tonight is the first meeting of a group of women at work who've asked me to teach them quilting or, as I say, teach them the little bit I do know. :) Their timing was rather good because the last few weeks there have been tremendous sales at Joann's.

I put together a basic list of supplies (mat, ruler, rotary cutter, notions, some fat quarters, etc.) and, using 40% as the discount, it came out to about $125 which turned into a bit less than that due to the 50% sales going on. If you can get the more expensive basic items on sale, it's not too bad getting started. I figure that what they bought will give them some idea if they'll like this hobby (how can't they like it?!) and, if they don't like it, most of it can be used for something else (e.g., rotary cutter to cut wallpaper).

Hope it goes well tonight! They all went out and bought new machines (not included in the $125 quoted above) so I'm determined to live up to their expectations. Should be fun! I'll let you know.
Good Luck and have fun!!!