Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011 >

[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011

[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011

Old 11-07-2009, 05:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by sandpat
Yes, the CW reproduction line. It really is pretty. I might splurge on a jelly roll for my Jane.
i really liked that line too and i'm not a fan of reproduction fabrics but i thought that was just so pretty.
Old 11-07-2009, 05:23 PM

Janstar wrote:

I just figured out how to copy Triangles in the right size!! Yeah!!! Maybe there's hope for the old girl after all. Are there any triangles in mirror Kelly? Some of those I don't know weather to PP, Template or rotary them. Guess we'll find out about that at the first of the year. I can wait! Not!!!

i haven't come across triangles that need to be mirrored but i've only made about 4 in my life.
I did triangle RS12 in the swap and I mirrored it. I don't know what I'm doing wrong but I mirrored the triangle and also the block I did. If I sew from the back I don't mirror but because the paper I'm using I can see through I find I have to mirror to sew on top. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong but it looks fine when it's finshed, I'm not going to worry about it. I've done several paper pieced quilts but I've always used Carol Doake paper which is not transparent. I never had this issue until I started using transparent.
Old 11-07-2009, 05:25 PM

Star
Hello!! need to say something because I wasn't getting updates either
I get updates after I've posted something for maybe the next 5 times then I don't get them anymore until I post again.
Old 11-07-2009, 05:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by okie
Janstar wrote:

I just figured out how to copy Triangles in the right size!! Yeah!!! Maybe there's hope for the old girl after all. Are there any triangles in mirror Kelly? Some of those I don't know weather to PP, Template or rotary them. Guess we'll find out about that at the first of the year. I can wait! Not!!!

i haven't come across triangles that need to be mirrored but i've only made about 4 in my life.
I did triangle RS12 in the swap and I mirrored it. I don't know what I'm doing wrong but I mirrored the triangle and also the block I did. If I sew from the back I don't mirror but because the paper I'm using I can see through I find I have to mirror to sew on top. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong but it looks fine when it's finshed, I'm not going to worry about it. I've done several paper pieced quilts but I've always used Carol Doake paper which is not transparent. I never had this issue until I started using transparent.

are you still sewing the fabric on underneath the paper next to the feed dogs?

i'm like you in that i learned on paper you couldn't see thru and i just couldn't sew on "this" paper with the fabric on top.

a few people at our guild work with "this" paper do sew with the fabric on top and the paper against the feed dogs and i think in that instance you would have to do a mirror image.

Old 11-07-2009, 05:54 PM
Banned

i wish we all lived near each other so we could just pop over and help each other out.
Old 11-07-2009, 06:13 PM

few people at our guild work with "this" paper do sew with the fabric on top and the paper against the feed dogs
I'm really trying to understand this. If you sew with the fabric on top you wouldn't be able to see the sew lines on the paper, right.
Here is my way of thinking (can be dangerous). Whether you're using transparent or opaque the fabric has to be against the feed dogs. The difference for me is I put the fabric under the paper while leaving the paper on top. When using opaque I had to turn the paper over, align the fabric and then turn it back so the fabric in on bottom (next to the feed dogs).
Old 11-07-2009, 06:23 PM

i seem to be having trouble getting my printer to print out the pp right mothing i do seems to work. it prints out to outline but not the individual pieces so i can't see where to put the fabric for the right piece.
Old 11-07-2009, 07:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by luvmortherest
i seem to be having trouble getting my printer to print out the pp right mothing i do seems to work. it prints out to outline but not the individual pieces so i can't see where to put the fabric for the right piece.
are you using the Dear Jane software? if so, i'll talk you thru it

Open the DJ software to the block you'd like to make, then

click on "file"
click on "print"
click on "foundation pattern"
click on "options" make sure "separate units" is checked
click on "preview" make sure all the pieces are there and they are spaced out nicely - if you need to move things around - you click on "move" and then click on the piece you'd like to move and drag it to the new location.

now you're ready to print - so click on "print"

if you're working with a block that needs to be mirrored you do the following

click on "file"
click on "print"
click on "foundation pattern"
click on "options" select "mirror" and make sure "separate units" is checked
click on "preview" make sure all the pieces are there and they are spaced out nicely - if you need to move things around - you click on "move" and then click on the piece you'd like to move and drag it to the new location.

now you're ready to print - so click on "print"

Old 11-07-2009, 07:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by okie
few people at our guild work with "this" paper do sew with the fabric on top and the paper against the feed dogs
I'm really trying to understand this. If you sew with the fabric on top you wouldn't be able to see the sew lines on the paper, right.
Here is my way of thinking (can be dangerous). Whether you're using transparent or opaque the fabric has to be against the feed dogs. The difference for me is I put the fabric under the paper while leaving the paper on top. When using opaque I had to turn the paper over, align the fabric and then turn it back so the fabric in on bottom (next to the feed dogs).
the ladies at the guild use the paper like some people do when they paper piece with freezer paper, they use it more as a seam guide instead of actually sewing right thru the paper.

i found it all very confusing and just stayed with the way i was used to.

it sounds to me like your doing it correctly, or at least the same way that i do it. maybe you're mixing up which piece is supposed to go down first.

we should do a sample block together and figure out why its happening.

Old 11-07-2009, 07:22 PM

That might work, don't you first sew 2 to 1, then 3 to 2, 4 to 3, etc.

You place # 1 under the paper right side facing the feed dogs. You put #2 under #1 right side together. When you sew you have the paper print side up, then under that you have #1 and then #2. When you turn the paper over you open the seam and # 2 is covering #2 spot on the paper, trim to quarter inch, place #3 right side together with #2. etc. The only time you turn the paper is when you are opening the seam. The way I am doing it works, I just never did piecing that I needed to mirror. I shouldn't have had to mirror the block J6 but that was the only way I could keep the number sequence right. I can see where you would need to mirror A1.
I am getting so sleepy I may be heading for the bed in a bit.