Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011 >

[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011

[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011

Old 01-19-2010, 12:19 PM

Here we are.... 30 something women from around the world. We've never met and chances are high most of us never will. New Zealand, Canada, Netherlands, Japan, Britain, America... and probably some I've missed, is there anyone from Australia? How impressive is that list!

We all started this journey at the beginning of the year, our goal is to make the same quilt that Jane Stickle made in 1863. 169 blocks.... 52 triangles... and 4 kites. She can't have done it in one year, surely it took longer!

We're not out to defraud, we're not out to start a war.... we just want to quilt, we just want to sew together, and learn, and laugh, and no doubt sometimes cry.

Admin doesn't want to shut us down, they just want to protect their site. If someone mentions the dreaded copyright word (I'm too scared to even type it! ;-) it's not an offence punishable by death! The post will be deleted, that's all. No hanging, no whipping, no court date.

We can still post photos of how a block went together, the tricky parts, how we got around it, etc. And if we step over the line, admin will no doubt let us know, and we'll adjust ourselves, and carry on.

So lets get back to what we're here for.... being part of the biggest and bestest online group to ever make a Jane Stickle quilt. :-)
Old 01-19-2010, 12:20 PM

One more thing..... can someone get me an IV line for my coffee this morning please. ;-)
Old 01-19-2010, 12:32 PM

Well said Blue, I second that and you forgot me here in lonely old Spain. :?

Someone told me it took Jane Stickle 4 years to make her quilt I am sure it was Lesley (Lacelady) and taking into account she had to design all those adorable and sometimes insane blocks I think she did well.

Now lets do it, we can and quicker. There are loads of sites out there with help on how to do the blocks, so I am sure we can do this and without offending anyone.
Old 01-19-2010, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Butterflyspain
Well said Blue, I second that and you forgot me here in lonely old Spain. :?

Someone told me it took Jane Stickle 4 years to make her quilt I am sure it was Lesley (Lacelady) and taking into account she had to design all those adorable and sometimes insane blocks I think she did well.

Now lets do it, we can and quicker. There are loads of sites out there with help on how to do the blocks, so I am sure we can do this and without offending anyone.
DOH! Sorry! I knew there was a little island somewhere, I kept thinking of Guam and knew that wasn't it. It's early, and I haven't had enough coffee yet... that's my story and I'm sticking to it! ;-)

While browsing sites and photos there was one where a woman had made the JS quilt in SEVENTY SIX DAYS! That's right... DAYS, not years! lol I can't remember which one it was, but her hubby was in hospital and she sewed while visiting him. How impressive is that.
Old 01-19-2010, 01:19 PM

I agree with what Blue said! Let's go for it ladies!!!
Old 01-19-2010, 01:21 PM
Power Poster

Well Ladies I hadn't seen this til now.

I have a free teaching site and had given some thought of putting my tutorials on there as well as here. If anyone would like I can put the tutorials on my site. I am still going to do my tutorials if anyone wants them. I don't have to put them on here.

so if this is something you would like to add to just let me know here or on my site. The link is in my signature. I will have to set up a catagory for them but that is no problem. Anyone who wants to add tutorials is more than welcome! We will be careful of the copyright issue but that shouldn't be too tough.
Old 01-19-2010, 01:38 PM

Wow I have missed loads this weekend!!!!
Well I do not think anyone should panic this is do-able as many have said. We just need to reword things a bit and be sure that none of the patterns are fully visable. I do not see why we can't show the difficult parts as long as the full pattern is not visable and no names of blocks show.
I SAY PARTY ON
:thumbup:
Old 01-19-2010, 01:48 PM

this name popped into my head

Klue's Krew's Journey
Old 01-19-2010, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by cheriffic
I SAY PARTY ON
:thumbup:
AMEN!

:-D :-D
Old 01-19-2010, 01:49 PM

Is anyone in the group doing hand piecing? I've done hexagons before, and I'm thinking of tackling part of one of Week 4's triangles by hand.

Any tips for me?