Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011 >

[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011

[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011

Old 06-03-2010, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by sandpat
Ladies, I'm sooo excited today!!! Today and the next few days that new LQS near me is having their Grand Opening sales...so of course, I HAD to go! Anyway..since she offers a great selection of CW fabs, I bundled up my Jane blocks and off I went determined to find my sashing and backing. Well...I DID find it!

I had decided that I wanted to be different and go with a dark background rather than the light..so I went with a Moda Kansas Troubles really dark brown. At first I thought that I would just use the same thing on the back, but I loved this sweet little floral that matched so well...I decided to use it...So...I got enough for the Jane and picked up some cuts and FQ's too and got out of there for less than $130.00!! I'm doing the happy dance!!! Now I'll be able to start doing the QAYG like Lesley once I get all the IRR's done so I can focus on Jane :lol: :lol: :lol:
Patti, That sounds very pretty, post some pics of the fabric, so we can all see! :-P
Old 06-03-2010, 10:26 PM

Great price Patti, because I know you need quite a few yards of backing fabric.

I am going to have to do a few of my blocks over, not happy with Mr Wonky and I do like that block it would make a nice centre piece for my on point design.
Old 06-04-2010, 04:07 AM
Power Poster

Patti, so pleased for you getting the remaining fabrics for Jane etc. - sounds like a good price. Please can we see them????? Pretty please???
Old 06-04-2010, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by sandpat
My tip is .....fold the paper down towards you, hold it to the light as you hold up your next piece. If your fabric totally covers the section you are ready to sew...it will cover it when you sew it and you won't be unsewing anything. Somewhere on this thread I showed a pic of doing this.
I know this. I do this. But sometimes I try to make a piece fit rather then cutting out a new piece. It's that 'save everything & use it all up' mentality. I'm so used to having to squeeze the most I can out of a fabric since I use so many scraps that sometimes I am my own worst enemy.

Oooh, I agree with the others, show us your pretty new fabric! :-D
Old 06-04-2010, 05:40 AM
Power Poster

I'll post a pic in a little while...after coffee and morning feeding....
Old 06-04-2010, 05:44 AM

I have a question please.

When doing your quilting which I will be doing by hand (she says hopefully) what weight thread do you use and also the make. I need to order some.

also I will be quilting the vast majority on black and my eyes being the way they are, would a varigated thread be a good idea or not, I just canīt see me quilting in black. As my fabrics are asian my thought was varigated but can you get this in a quilting thread?

Thanks in advance for all you advice.

Elle
Old 06-04-2010, 10:23 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Butterflyspain
I have a question please.

When doing your quilting which I will be doing by hand (she says hopefully) what weight thread do you use and also the make. I need to order some.

also I will be quilting the vast majority on black and my eyes being the way they are, would a varigated thread be a good idea or not, I just canīt see me quilting in black. As my fabrics are asian my thought was varigated but can you get this in a quilting thread?

Thanks in advance for all you advice.

Elle
Sulky make varigated cotton, but it's not specifically sold for quilting as far as I know. I have used it for machine quilting, and I liked it for that, so can't see why hand quilting would be any harder. I like it particularly because the colours change in a relatively short length it comes in two weights, and it's the 30 you need for machine/hand sewing. Hancocks of Paducah have it, and will send you a catalogue (be prepared to want to order everything in it though). I have used Gutermann thread for mine because I had plenty of it.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:40 AM

Thanks Lesley, I have some Gutterman which my Brother machine doesnīt like and found out it was it was wound differently, donīt ask me, I am only the messenger.

I would like to try that out on my black material, thanks for the tips.

Elle
Old 06-04-2010, 01:51 PM

An easy way to see if the thread is going to work on your piece or not (either to match the quilt or for ease of eye strain) unwind a couple feet of it and let the thread drop onto the fabric in a pile. Basically you are simply unspooling a bit of the thread and allowing it to pile on the fabric. Sometimes how the thread looks on the spool is different from how it looks on the quilt and this easy test will let you know if you want to use the thread you've chosen or pick another color.

I've quilted with all sorts of different thread. Aurofil quilts nicely, but I've also used the thread that comes from Connecting Threads, Gutterman, Presentia (from Spain), and Y-?? something or other. I really haven't had a problem with any of them.
Old 06-04-2010, 01:58 PM
Power Poster

Elle...I've been told that you can hand quilt with any of the machine quilting threads. It just depends on your preference. I do like the varigated that change color rather quickly otherwise they tend to disappear for stretches in my opinion. But thats just my opinion.

Here is a pic of the fabrics I got yesterday. The pic with the blocks and tris is more the actual color. The close up is way too light.

blocks on the sashing/floral is the back
[ATTACH=CONFIG]79372[/ATTACH]

Color is WAY off here...tooo light
[ATTACH=CONFIG]79373[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-79367.jpe   attachment-79368.jpe