[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011 >

[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011

[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011

Old 05-19-2010, 10:10 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Butterflyspain
Originally Posted by sandpat
Elle...Lesley starts talking about how she will quilt this one on page 210 of this thread...really good explanations.
Thanks Patti, off to have a read.

Elle
Thanks Lesley and Patti, for pointing me in the right direction to do this, I will get myself some batting, donīt know what we use at the club, but they have a huge bale of it and its cheap so next tuesday will start doing my hand quilting as Lesley is doing. I canīt see that it matters that much if the quilting doesnīt show on the back as long as it is attached through all three layers to hold it in place, just my 10 cents worth or una Euro as we say here.

I am dreading taking all that paper off though, any good tips out there, I have got myself an eyebrow plucker to get the little bits off, any other suggestions, I did think about soaking it off and I thought yuck there will be a mess of paper then and I will have to iron them all again.

By the way I have one more block to do and I have finished week 10.
Elle
Sorry long time no getting back, Elle - I've been doing the hated skirt extension.
I posted some pics of how I am quilting my Jane on:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-28063-214.htm so that you can see how I have been quilting/joining my blocks. After the last pic I posted, I trimmed the batting behind the sashing so that the edges butted agains other, and I've just hand stitched the two edges together. So when all my rows are done, and then joined vertically, my top will look like a regular top from the front, and the back will look like a (more or less) complete sheet of batting.
Finally I am going to sandwich my top/batting with the backing, and then QID around each block to hold everything together. I pondered long and hard about how to do this. I haven't ever seen it anywhere else, but that doesn't mean it hasn't been. I have done quilt as you go before, but that entailed a lot of hand sewing on the back. Not too bad when you have 12in blocks, and need to line up the joins, but I didn't want to have to do that with all the small blocks. What I did want to do was get started on the quilting fairly soon - I didn't want to leave it right to the end and have to start at the beginning. Once I had done most of the applique, I began the quilting so that I had something to do in the evenings when I was too tired to do any machining.

When I got to the end of making my blocks, I only had the four corners to quilt, as I had caught up on all the rest, so for me, at least, my plan worked. I am also half way done with the plain, outer triangles, so it won't be long before I can get on with assembly.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:09 PM

Wow I started a Dear Jane quilt about 3 years agoand still don't have all the block done. You guys have inspired me.
Old 05-19-2010, 01:08 PM

Trying something out to see if its updated on my Profile. A friend sent me this lovely thought and I wanted to share it with you.

Elle
Old 05-19-2010, 02:59 PM

Trying something out to see if its updated on my Profile. A friend sent me this lovely thought and I wanted to share it with you.

Elle
Elle...that is such a lovely, deep emotional phrase, on your signature message.
Old 05-19-2010, 04:27 PM

It is lovely, that is why I wanted to share it with you all. One of my DHs friends wife is S. American and those were her wordsīand they sent me this beautiful email which really made me think that there is something else to make life make sense to me at the moment. I am still traumatised by what has happened but this really helped me and maybe it will help others in this situation.

Elle
Old 05-19-2010, 05:06 PM
Power Poster

Well, you'll be jumping right back in Elle...thats great. I've been leaving all my paper on and just started thinking that its probably a bad idea...I should take it off as I go. But I think I'll leave it until I make my decision on the sashing and back. I'll take all my made blocks with me to the LQS and lay them out to "test" fabrics...I don't want to handle them too much without the paper...I can always find ways to screw stuff up and I'm sure I could get them all out of shape pretty easily.

But the best way to take it off??? I haven't found a good way yet other than to find a stupid friend and invite them over "to chat"...hand them a big pile of them :lol: ......

whats that??? You are inviting me over?? Why I'll be right there!! :lol: :D
Old 05-20-2010, 06:12 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by shaysmema
Wow I started a Dear Jane quilt about 3 years agoand still don't have all the block done. You guys have inspired me.
Well, it would be nice if you felt able to join us now, and get yours completed at the same time. You would be very welcome.
Old 05-20-2010, 06:16 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sandpat
Well, you'll be jumping right back in Elle...thats great. I've been leaving all my paper on and just started thinking that its probably a bad idea...I should take it off as I go. But I think I'll leave it until I make my decision on the sashing and back. I'll take all my made blocks with me to the LQS and lay them out to "test" fabrics...I don't want to handle them too much without the paper...I can always find ways to screw stuff up and I'm sure I could get them all out of shape pretty easily.

But the best way to take it off??? I haven't found a good way yet other than to find a stupid friend and invite them over "to chat"...hand them a big pile of them :lol: ......

whats that??? You are inviting me over?? Why I'll be right there!! :lol: :D
I did mine as I went, but gave each block a hefty dose of Best Press after I have removed the paper. Then I trimmed them up, and, of course, as soon as I could, I quilted them. That stops them going out of shape. If you are going to leave removing all the papers until nearly the end, I suggest you have a Jane shower, and invite ALL your friends to a removing party.
Old 05-20-2010, 01:47 PM

OMG - I wouldn't let anyone else loose on my papers, I would want to know that they have been done properly! I could just imagine all the little stitches that were snipped to get the paper out. Yikes!!!
Old 05-20-2010, 02:31 PM

Well every one I finally got caught up on this read, I fell behind by making my blocks and getting caught up with all of you. I am taking this week off to do some of my other comittments. I am making my baby out of all my scraps and so far can not see a dip in them. lol Les your work os so beutiful I sure dont want any of my blocks next to them. I sure thank you for the guidance and all of you for encouraging me to keep on and learning the pp. My blocks are improving I hope. I am really enjoying making the Jane with you all. My son had to to to the VA hospital in Dallas Tx today. His spleen is so enlarged that He is having some breathing restrictions and not being able to eat much it is taking up so much room. He is very tall and skinny,29 in waist lol. Prayers requested. Jolo