Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011 >

[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011

[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011

Old 10-16-2010, 04:11 PM
Power Poster

Meredith...I would be up to doing another group project like this one as I've really enjoyed it! I was thinking that there was a quilt I saw that knocked my socks off...I need to find it though. We don't have to decide which quilt right now..do we??

Kathy..I think that Lesley used a 3/4" wide sashing for all of hers. Then she cut the between tri's larger to make it work. I looked at my printed out quilt pic from the software and it does show the 1/2" border on the outside of the quilt center. Did you make your sashing larger than 1/2" finished? (Wanna borrow my rubber room? Its great for that head bashing...)
Old 10-16-2010, 04:12 PM

Lesley, the Little Brown Bird quilt looks magnificent, but applique is not my game...I can't wait to see yours.

There is plenty of time to consider the next project, as this is a fun supportive group, it would be nice to enjoy a second round together.
Old 10-16-2010, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by sandpat
Meredith...I would be up to doing another group project like this one as I've really enjoyed it! I was thinking that there was a quilt I saw that knocked my socks off...I need to find it though. We don't have to decide which quilt right now..do we??

Kathy..I think that Lesley used a 3/4" wide sashing for all of hers. Then she cut the between tri's larger to make it work. I looked at my printed out quilt pic from the software and it does show the 1/2" border on the outside of the quilt center. Did you make your sashing larger than 1/2" finished? (Wanna borrow my rubber room? Its great for that head bashing...)
Patti, The book calls for 1/2" sashing between the blocks and a 1/4" sashing all around the outer edges. I got the bottom row of triangles on tonight - just stretched the too small edge and eased in the too large edge. However, when I got to the other end - I should have just sewed the whole thing inch by inch without matching anything as I was short what appeared to be that blasted 1/4", so had to stretch and ease in reverse! :-( Now I suppose I'll have to do that on the other 3 sides as I don't want it to look wierd because 1 side is done this way & the other 3 sides are done differently. At least, 1 side is sewn on, one side of tris is all put together and I'm stitching the 3rd side. THEN - have to sew the final border on - the one that will become the scallops. Will have to play with pencil & paper to determine how wide to make it so that there is enough to get the proper size scallop. The book leaves this information out, too. I haven't gone to dearjane.com to see if there is any info there. I figure I'm smart enough to figure it out - OR ask! :)
Old 10-17-2010, 01:20 AM

Wow you really are getting on with your Jane Meredith. So you are going to be up and moving to someplace else soon, exciting, your guys are going to miss you, there will probably be a riot.

I am on week 40 and will do a bit of it today. Just got up very late this morning so not compas mentis yet. LOL

Elle
Old 10-17-2010, 01:44 AM
Power Poster

I put three quarter inch sashing throughout, and on the edge. My tris were the regular size, because I used the ruler, and didn't think early enough that I would do the larger sashings, so that I could cut larger. I compensated with larger in between tris. I cut them a quarter inch larger on both long sides. It just meant that when sewn on, they didn't go down to a point.

When it came to adding the scollops, I also cut them deeper, so there is a seam about 1 1/4in deep (when sewn on) between each scollop. i.e. I cut them 1 3/4in deep, with the curve added on after that. Hope the pics help.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-108449.jpe   attachment-108450.jpe  
Old 10-17-2010, 04:10 AM

Lesley, does the book help with the quilting of the blocks, can you see how Jane did them?
Old 10-17-2010, 06:11 AM
Power Poster

Hmm...thinking ahead....Lesley reminded me that she sewed her scallops on as individuals and Kathy is (if I understand correctly)sewing on a long strip, then cutting the scallops. I'm so glad you guys are the guinea pigs and I don't have to figure this stuff out on my own!:lol:

Elle, I remember Lesley recommending that I get the book for that very reason...it shows how Jane quilted. I keep waffling back and forth..at this point I think I'll order one only so its one less thing I have to think about right now.
Old 10-17-2010, 06:18 AM

Yay! I was able to do two blocks this weekend. I did B-13:

[img]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4088/...818ac0cd8f.jpg[/img]

That was a really easy one. Then I did C-12:

[img]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4130/...64de08b967.jpg[/img]

Which should have been easy except I realized while doing it that my machine was not sewing a 1/4 inch seam!! Which is really really obvious in the green version for Rainbow Jane. So I used my ruler to measure a 1/4 inch from my needle and marked with painter's tape, and my second version for Ex-'Cuse Me Jane came out great!! See Jane does help your other sewing!! Now that I can sew a true 1/4 inch seam, my other quilts should be much better!!

Cheers!
Rachr
Old 10-17-2010, 06:21 AM
Power Poster

Well gee Rach...they both look great to me!
Old 10-17-2010, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by sandpat
Well gee Rach...they both look great to me!
Thanks Pat!! They were all fun to do, The green one will look off once it's sewn into the quilt because the outside squares should be about 3/4 inch now, but they are more like 1/2 inch now. LOL But I don't care, Rainbow Jane is my guinea pig quilt so most of her blocks will be a wreck!! :)

Rachel