Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011 >

[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011

[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011

Old 11-20-2010, 05:26 AM
Power Poster

I'm quilting with just the batting on them Lesley, but I was thinking the the quilting stitches that are too close to the edge will block me from adding the sashing correctly. Don't you attach the sashing just to the block itself? You didn't sew the batting into the seam too...did you??
Old 11-20-2010, 11:46 AM

Hey, Friends! Have any of you gone Fab Shop Hopping and stopped in at Stitchin' Heaven's site? They are the store in Texas with tons of BOMs. Anyway, starting in January is a Dear Jane BOM. $25.00 start-up fee, then $24.95 per month for 24 months. You get the materials & instructions for 10 blocks/triangles/kites per month. I did the math - that's over $625.00 before shipping & handling. However - they have a BEAUTIFUL 108" wide backing fabric to go with the traditionally colored Babies. Wish I had known about that before I started to quilt mine! They also offer all the other DJ stuff like the rulers, software ($68.95), etc. Couldn't find the shipping & Handling amount, but would guess it's at least $7.95 - that would be an additional $190.80 over the 24 months, so far that's$789.60 without the software or anything else. It does say that the instructions are included so I would assume that includes the patterns, too.

Does that seem just a little bit expensive?

Just thought you'd all like to know.
Old 11-20-2010, 11:56 AM

It does to me. I wish I would have kept track of what I spent on my Jane so far. It's kind of hard though because we use such a small piece of fabric on them. The smallest I bought was an eighth of a yard so that isn't much. That is interesting though. Thanks Kathy.
Old 11-20-2010, 02:02 PM

Hi there everyone. Had a fabulous time, really enjoyed Sevilla and I have loads of pictures to share with you all. But guess what I was clicking away and I got to the Hall where the quilts were being shown and my batteries gave out. But not to worry I have my friends sending all hers to me but you will have to wait for the quilts. We were a little disappointed with the show. There was nothing to buy there at all and the entire quilts shown took only 1/2 hr to walk round. Found a Patchwork shop and there lies another tale. Give me till tomorrow and I will show you all Sevilla fabulous City.

Elle
Old 11-20-2010, 04:32 PM
Power Poster

Can't wait Elle!!!! Get some rest for now!

Kathy, I think that sounds really expensive. I haven't added up what I spent on mine, but I don't think it is anywhere near that! I'll have to think it through though, I may have spent more than I think. I like that store though, I've done it in the shophop looking for that silly rabbit.
Old 11-20-2010, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by Butterflyspain
Hi there everyone. Had a fabulous time, really enjoyed Sevilla and I have loads of pictures to share with you all. But guess what I was clicking away and I got to the Hall where the quilts were being shown and my batteries gave out. But not to worry I have my friends sending all hers to me but you will have to wait for the quilts. We were a little disappointed with the show. There was nothing to buy there at all and the entire quilts shown took only 1/2 hr to walk round. Found a Patchwork shop and there lies another tale. Give me till tomorrow and I will show you all Sevilla fabulous City.

Elle
Hi Elle, an opportunity for you to inspire them? Looking forward to the pics. Caro
Old 11-20-2010, 04:55 PM

Patti, maybe you could show us a block or two that you have hand quilted?

Elle, love your pics, a trip from my computer, through your pics, would be fun!

I think that BOM for Dear Jane sounds expensive, although assembling packets with the fabric is labor intensive. I would imagine it would cost that much to offer a Dear Jane BOM.

I haven't tracked my spending, however I started with a fat quarter bundle, that is 40 fat quarters, and 5 yards of plain background fabric. I have purchased some additional fabric along the way, only because I was concerned I would run out and wanted to stay with my line. However, I will end up with a lot left over. There is a lot of waste with paper piecing these small patterns with multiple pieces, although I am very careful with my fabric and try to avoid waste. I would estimate around $200-$250 for final cost with the software, rulers, fabrics, thread, and batting.
Old 11-20-2010, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltswithConvicts
Hey, Friends! Have any of you gone Fab Shop Hopping and stopped in at Stitchin' Heaven's site? They are the store in Texas with tons of BOMs. Anyway, starting in January is a Dear Jane BOM. $25.00 start-up fee, then $24.95 per month for 24 months. You get the materials & instructions for 10 blocks/triangles/kites per month. I did the math - that's over $625.00 before shipping & handling. However - they have a BEAUTIFUL 108" wide backing fabric to go with the traditionally colored Babies. Wish I had known about that before I started to quilt mine! They also offer all the other DJ stuff like the rulers, software ($68.95), etc. Couldn't find the shipping & Handling amount, but would guess it's at least $7.95 - that would be an additional $190.80 over the 24 months, so far that's$789.60 without the software or anything else. It does say that the instructions are included so I would assume that includes the patterns, too.

Does that seem just a little bit expensive?

Just thought you'd all like to know.
I have that BOM beginning in January 2010. Timed to run during my bf's latest deployment. I wanted to make the world's most famous anticipatory grief quilt during a deployment and I am. When mine says "In War Time," it's the real deal.

Deployment blankets have special meaning for us. He still uses the one I sent to him in Iraq. I assumed he would burn it before homecoming but he treasures it.

Money's not an issue for me (financially and emotionally since this quilt is a "love of my life is in danger" coping mechanism). I have no complaints on that front. If you can't afford a Lexus, buy a used something or other or take the subway. Such is life.

The fabric choices are amazing. I literally could not do better myself (and I'm picky). I did see one modern print lover freak out but what did she expect? It's repros for Pete's sake.

There are no templates or ready made paper piecing (as I recall). It has numbered instructions and some suggested alterations to be closer to the actual blocks. Also some drawings to keep you from turning a paper pieced block into a Picasso. I don't follow anyone's instructions ever so my quilt will have more pieces than Jane's.

Their customer service is great. I needed their assistance once and they helped me immediately. I would sign up again. They have two other versions... future deployments, perhaps.
___
Since everyone uses Google Alerts these days and I'm sure they'll see this: bring back the Ladies of the Sea BOM for 2012! I'm so there.
___

Thanks for "listening."
Old 11-21-2010, 04:49 AM
Power Poster

Hey Pookie...I know you will be missing your sweetie and I don't blame you for selecting this as a project while he is gone. You know, I think that we can all put "in war time" on our quilts because unfortunately....we are. I sure understand your need for a coping mechanism. Thank you to your sweetie and to you as well for your sacrifices.

We'd love to see some pics of your progress! I bet the fabrics they chose are gorgeous. That is a very time consuming part of the project and the shop deserves to be paid for that time.
Old 11-21-2010, 05:06 AM

Please thank your BF for us for what he is giving up to serve & protect us. Where I work, there is a wall, as you come into the prison part, that has small plaques of all our employees who have been deployed or are currently serving over there. I was quite surprised how many there are. Most are Guard reservists.

I didn't know about the deployment quilts. That is a really neat idea! Taking a little something special with him.

How far along are you on your Baby? Please post pics as we love to see other's versions.

I also noticed that they are doing a Valentine's DJ beginning in February.

God bless you and BF. Happy stitching.