Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011 >

[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011

[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011

Old 12-29-2010, 06:45 AM
Power Poster

Sometimes I don't explain things very well Elle. Don't worry about what I said about the 13 row...I should have said column anyway. But here is my question.

I almost have all the square blocks quilted and the sashing put on them. That will complete the inner portion of the quilt -not to include the tri border. So...you will notice on the pattern that there is a 1/2" border (I called it sashing in my original question) between the big section of square blocks and the tri border. So...should I sew this onto the square block section? Or sew it to the tri border section prior to putting the 2 sections together? Come to think of it...should I sew it on as 1 long strip or cut it into block size sections?
Old 12-29-2010, 07:03 AM

Now I understand what you mean, personally for me I think I would take of the sashing on the last column and put the triīs directly on to the blocks, however whether to sew them first in a line and then do it is difficult, maybe they might not fit right and you would have to cut to size to fit.

I wonīt have that problem (no Tris) but I think you will have to pin them all together and then try up against the blocks to see if they fit. Maybe Lesley could tell you

Hope that helps
Elle
Old 12-29-2010, 07:19 AM
Power Poster

Yes..I think that Lesley cut her skinny border into sections, but I can't remember whether she sewed that onto the tris or the center section. I'm just not sure which is gonna be the easiest (most accurate) way to make it work. I think Kathy struggles with getting hers to fit just right...hmmmm....decisions..decisions....:lol:
Old 12-29-2010, 08:18 AM

Yes, think perhaps better to pin it in place first Patti. Donīt know what do you think?
Old 12-29-2010, 03:04 PM
Power Poster

OK, I am here now. Firstly, I think from memory, that the original last border/sashing round all the blocks was only a quarter inch, finished, not the half inch finished that is in between all the blocks.

That isn't what I did. I put three quarter inch sashing (with cornerstones) between my blocks, and all round them too. I assembled all of them, plus that final border round them as one complete section. I also put cornerstones on the final (what should have been narrower) border too.

I had already begun to trim my pieced tris with the ruler before I ever decided on trying to make the quilt a little larger, so they had to stay the same size, just as the blocks did. So to compensate, I made in inbetween tris a little wider - which meant that they didn't go down to a point any more, they ended up with a quarter inch across their tops. Then I tried to centre that quarter inch blunt top in the middle of my cornerstones. Some were a little off, but by that time, I was past caring.

I'm going to look for a pic for you so you can see what I mean,

I think this one will show the blunt ended in between tri.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]149740[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-149735.jpe  
Old 12-29-2010, 04:29 PM
Power Poster

I remember you showing that before Lesley. I think that at this point I will piece together the center square block section and then sew the skinny border to that. I had already decided that I didn't want the light cornerstones on that border...so then I'll put the tri border together and cross my fingers that they fit onto the center section properly (well..easily).

I made another kite today...3 square blocks left to quilt. :thumbup:
Old 12-29-2010, 05:02 PM

[quote=sandpat]luv, those look fantastic! I don't think people realize that you are doing yours by hand...makes it that much more special to me! I still can't believe you are doing 2 at once.

thank you for the kind words.

i think you may have missunderstood, i am doing the applique by hand but all the rest are being done by machine.

my problem has been:
1 tornado back in the spring, power was out for almost 2 weeks.
2 a second power outage (can't even remember what that was all about) lasted close to a week.
3 DH had a couple of hospital stay (1 week each) and then it seemed that he had 2 doctor's appointments a week for awhile.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:27 PM

Luv - very pretty blocks!!! :D

Patti, I found a discussion about sashings around the blocks. I liked the one from Sandy in Oregon, I am following her suggestions. These do not include the cornerstones, as they are cut 1" square and the bottom sashings are 1"x5" also... Sorry, I don't remember exactly where this was...

BTW, I am on break again, from my Baby Jane, and have not even started the corners!!!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-149822.jpe  
Old 12-29-2010, 10:01 PM

thank you Meredith
Old 12-30-2010, 12:48 AM

Lots of great info here, thanks everyone

Elle