Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011 >

[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011

[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011

Old 01-05-2011, 06:22 PM

Phwhew! I was afraid that this great bunch might dissolve. Can't let that happen.

Elle, it's ok that you don't want to do AOTH. You can do anything you want - just let us see!!! You got me thinking about using a creamy background and make 2. The black is going to be roughly the same size as the book, but I was thinking about a larger one. The colors would get to be darker and bolder somewhat. I was even thinking about maroon, green & gold - a Christmas quilt. I don't have but one wall hanging & a Celtic table runner. Oh and 4 placemats, but nothing for the bed! Might make a few changes to it, too, like holly leaves and some stars. Gonna have to give this one some thought! Elle, this is all your fault!!!! Cream background! Love you & thanks for the idea! :thumbup:
Old 01-05-2011, 06:26 PM

Patti, I did the long strip & marked the scallops. When I get out there, I'll quilt it and then trim it after the binding is in place. I'll try to get a pic of what I did. I did a very gentle curve instead of a sharp angle at the base of each scallop. I also rounded the corner without the small bump at the very corner. I don't remember how far out the scallops are from the tris. I'll go take that pic now!
Old 01-05-2011, 06:42 PM

Here are the pics. I don't know what happened to the pics!
Old 01-05-2011, 06:45 PM

Let's see if this works! I hope you can see the pencil lines for the scallops. They're rather faint, but I can see them. of course, I know they're there!

Corner Detail
[ATTACH=CONFIG]154251[/ATTACH]

View of a scallop
[ATTACH=CONFIG]154252[/ATTACH]

Sample of Quilting
[ATTACH=CONFIG]154253[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-154246.jpe   attachment-154247.jpe   attachment-154248.jpe  
Old 01-05-2011, 07:13 PM

Meredith, I am machine appliqueing mine. I learned a really nifty way from a quilter here in New Mexico - J. Michelle Watts. She uses an "open " satin stitch in matching thread. It's narrower than the regular satin stitch and more like a close, but not too close, regular zig-zag. I like it so much better than the button hole stitch (or blanket stitch) or a satin stitch. It just sort of lies there, holding everything down nicely and not shouting, "Hey, look at me!"
Old 01-05-2011, 07:22 PM
Power Poster

Yes, I did do my scallops as seperate pieces, because that's what was on my software, and I could enlarge them a bit to fit my slightly larger inbetween tris (cos of my wider sashing).

Meredith, if you do your AOTH blocks at 10in finished, the applique pieces will be easier to get round. I enlarged the patterns in the book by 142% and they look eminently doable by machine, though I do intend to needleturn them myself, because I like having some hand sewing to do in the evenings.

If you want us to move off here, please feel free to reconvene at my PDA for AOTH discussions.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:29 PM

Did you QAYG Kathy? Your quilting is great and it's looking so good!!!
Old 01-06-2011, 04:14 AM

Thanks!

No, it is done the old-fashioned way. Sewed the center together, added the triangle borders & then the strips for the scallops. The whole thing is hand done.

I began quilting (all by hand) back in 1974. Machines were only accetpable for sewing the first step in putting the binding on. Gradually, machine use became accepted more & more, until we are where we are today!
Old 01-06-2011, 05:07 AM

It is getting a little confusing thinking you are reading about the aoth but then it is the DJ and vice versa. Luckily, I am doing them both :roll: Peope are getting me confused with being Elle in some comments. Love your pics QuiltingwithConvicts! Can't wait until I can get that far along! Fantastic job!
Old 01-06-2011, 05:54 AM
Power Poster

First off...I do think we need to take the AOTH discussion elsewhere..its too confusing for people who come here to see discussion on Jane...so either we need to start a thread for it...or re-convene at Lesley's PDA as she suggested...don't ya'll agree?

Then...Kathe, I think your Jane is looking great! I must admit that your stitching looks much much more consistant in size than mine does, so I have a little bit of stitch envy. :wink: I was thinking about doing the scallop as a strip because I might do them a little longer depending on how it looks on my bed. Are you guys going to do a quilting design in the scallop itself? I hope to get at least 3 more rows sewn together today and a few more tris quilted...we'll see...farm chores are calling today though.