Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011 >

[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011

[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011

Old 01-06-2011, 06:40 AM

I agree Sandpat! Having separate forums for the aoth and the dj would make it less confusing :roll:
Old 01-06-2011, 06:49 AM
Power Poster

I don't think they wanted us to start a AOTH thread just yet, which is what the problem is, so please feel free to come over to my PDA as I suggested, until we are allowed to start a BOM thread.

Re DJ scallops, I made mine quite a bit deeper. The actual scallop is about the same as on the software, but I have at least an inch between the deepest part of the scallop and the main body of the quilt.

I did one row of quilting near the seam by the blocks, to stabilise the three layers, then I thought I could get away with perhaps one row of quilting in the scallop itself, but I just kept going and ended up doing three.

The binding was machined on, and hand sewn to the back, and I also stitched down each little pleat in the dip in the scallop - I tried just making a pleat by stroking it with my needle, but they wouldn't 'sit' nicely without some stitches in them. It took me four evenings to get that binding done, but it isn't going anywhere in a hurry now, and I am really pleased that I bothered to take the trouble, 'cos I have a sense of pride that I did it the right way.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-154822.jpe   attachment-154823.jpe   attachment-154824.jpe   attachment-154825.jpe   attachment-154826.jpe  

Old 01-06-2011, 06:53 AM
Power Poster

I had forgotten that part about how you did them Lesely! Thats a great idea even if I do them as a strip! On second thought, I think they would be easier for me to piece together as a strip, especially if I did that part deeper. They look like you had to do a "y" type seam to get them together that way.

I like how you quilted the scallops though, I hadn't paid much attention to that before....another great idea! (Can you see why I love you being ahead and being the guinea pig Lesley?? Heeheheh!)
Old 01-06-2011, 07:04 AM

Leslie! I love your quilt! Your hand quilting is so neat ! When I grow up I want to hand quilt like you do! I am still not consistent with my stitches.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:05 AM

Ok how do I go to PDA (not sure what that is) for the aoth forum?
Old 01-06-2011, 07:11 AM
Power Poster

LOL, oink, oink, oink. No Y seams, they are just like rectangles, except one long side has a curve on it. I just sewed them end to end, backed with a long strip of batting, and machined them on to the edge of the block centre. The backing just extended out behind them, and once I had done the first row of quilting all round, to hold them together just the other side of the quarter inch turnings inside, I then tacked all round the scalloped edge and trimmed away the backing. I suppose I should have perhaps just roughly trimmed rather than right up to the edge, but I didn't.

I know it might be more work doing seperate pieces for the scallops, but at least you don't have to fiddle around with saucers or tea plates, and I felt it was a better option for me. You do have to add on a little square on each corner to get that extra tiny scallop, but if you just want rounded corners, them make the first and last section a wider curve (you could make them rectangles, and trim afterwards).
Old 01-06-2011, 07:12 AM
Power Poster

To find a PDA, go to the top of the page and click on Home, then scroll down until you find the Personal Diaries section, but here is a link:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/s-12-1.htm
Old 01-06-2011, 07:14 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Blinky
Leslie! I love your quilt! Your hand quilting is so neat ! When I grow up I want to hand quilt like you do! I am still not consistent with my stitches.
It might look good on the front, Blinky, but it isn't as good on the back, sadly - my stitches end up being tiny on the back, rather than the same as on the front. I would really love to have a lesson with someone who knows what they are doing - I am just self taught. At least I get even ones on the front now, but not dozens to the inch, like great quilters do.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:16 AM

I love the way you quilted the edges of your scallops Lesley, really nice and the lovelydesign on every other tri.

I have decided that the really plain blocks (there is not many) I will put a design in the quilting on those make them a bit more exciting. Enjoying the quilting process very relaxing this one is. I didnīt enjoy the first one I quilted for some reason.

Elle
Old 01-06-2011, 09:34 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Butterflyspain
I love the way you quilted the edges of your scallops Lesley, really nice and the lovelydesign on every other tri.

I have decided that the really plain blocks (there is not many) I will put a design in the quilting on those make them a bit more exciting. Enjoying the quilting process very relaxing this one is. I didnīt enjoy the first one I quilted for some reason.

Elle
I noticed that a lot of the time, if there was a reasonable space in one of the blocks, Jane often resorted to diagonal rows of quilting, about half an inch apart. I cut a strip of card that width (actually I cut three different width ones) and used those as a guide. If you have a set of bias bars, they would also be good to use.

With the scallops, I just eyeballed it. The inbetween tris, I made a template from the cover of a cheap plastic ring binder, and then drew round it with a sewline pencil.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-154923.jpe