Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011 >

[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011

[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011

Old 01-09-2011, 07:57 AM

RE: last pic - how did what happen? I can't see anything wrong. It looks great to me!
Old 01-09-2011, 08:10 AM

Kathy....thanks so much for the pic of the chart you made. Going to give it a try. I might not have any of the same fabric that I made the blocks with a few years ago. But thinking I can use a marker close to the same color or make a copy of the block and snip a piece of the fabric in the pic!

Sandpat your DJ quilt is beautiful!! Wish I was that far along! Some day! Thank you so much for sharing your pics! Loved seeing them!
Old 01-09-2011, 08:16 AM

Question Sandpat....do you have a piece of muslin cut a little larger than the tri blocks that is underneath the block for some reason? I am going to start my FIRST tri block soon. I don't see any tutorial or hints on the DJ site or in the book? Maybe that is two questions ;0)
Old 01-09-2011, 09:24 AM

Oooh Patti thats looks so beautiful, its an heirloom for sure.çç
Elle
Old 01-09-2011, 01:31 PM
Power Poster

Patti, it looks really great - well done for getting the middle together, and at least now, you can see what is left to do.

Blinky, as far as I remember, the inbetween tris are the same size as the pieced ones, providing you stick to half inch sashings with that little quarter inch strip round the centre blocks. It is only me who had to do things different. Because I wanted my quilt to be a little larger, I used three quarter inch sashings in between blocks, and round the edge, so my in between tris had to be a bit bigger. I should have made them all a little bigger, but I had already made some of the pieced ones before I decided on wider sashings, plus I had the ruler.

So I just made the in between ones bigger to compensate. I think you can see how that worked on the last pics I posted here a few pages back. In reality, they should finish at a point but mine are about a quarter of an inch wide at that point.
Old 01-09-2011, 02:00 PM
Power Poster

OK ladies...another problem...I did another test on the "between" tri today doing trapunto on it. I should learn my lesson about pre-cutting things. When I did the trapunto, I used wash-away...so had to wet it..then of course it is smaller than it should be!! Yikes!! I think I like it...I might like it better if I just go ahead and machine do it though. Can you make out how much smaller it is than the ruler??

Oh..and on the what happened labeled pic...2 tris side by side with the identical 2 fabs on each- and I didn't even use that fabric that many times in the whole quilt!

So..what do ya'll think...just forget it or keep thinking or just add a strip at the bottom to make it bigger..I could then just slide the tri a little bit and trim it to the correct size.

too small :(
[ATTACH=CONFIG]156781[/ATTACH]

think I like ti though..
[ATTACH=CONFIG]156782[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-156776.jpe   attachment-156777.jpe  
Old 01-09-2011, 02:11 PM
Power Poster

Blinky....I don't have muslin underneath, what you see is batting. I quilted the individual blocks prior to sewing them together. Lesley taught us how to do that...see page 214 of this thread.

Also..there may be some great information on the tris..they will be in each week's threads for the particular tri that you are working on. We did have conversation on several of them..if you look and have questions..just ask on that particular thread and it will pop back up for us and we'll give you any additional tips that we can think of.
Old 01-09-2011, 02:17 PM

Oh wow Sandpat ( do they call you Pat on here?) thank you for the info on tri blocks! I will go to pg 214 and check it out! You are going to probably get tired of me saying thank you :roll: but you have been such a big help!
Old 01-09-2011, 02:20 PM

Looks good Patti. I like it too

Elle
Old 01-09-2011, 02:49 PM
Power Poster

Yeah, Patti, I think your trapunto looks good, but I can see it definitely has shrunk. Did you pre wash the fabric? (Before you started, I mean, if so, it shouldn't have shrunk so much just for the trapunto bit, should it?)

I'm not sure whether you would be happy with a seam across the bottom so that you can retrim - your design will appear to be higher up towards the top of the tri then - will you like that? Might be better to cut your losses with this one, after all, you called it a practice one, didn't you?

Next thought - do you need to wash out the thread at this time? If you are planning on washing the whole quilt at the end, can't you leave it until that point. At least then your fabric will all shrink an even amount.