Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011 >

[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011

[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011

Old 08-27-2011, 10:15 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sewNso
do quilts usually get washed before being placed in a show? i would think not. because the appearance usually changes somewhat. doesn't it?
I don't know the answer to that either, these two competitions I entered (about two weeks apart) are the first I have done. Both said that quilts had to be 'recent' and I asked at the second one what exactly that meant.

I was told they had to put that in, because they had a quilt entered once that looked as if it had been on a bed for at least 5 years and was covered in animal hair. They also had one that was still wet from the washing machine! So to summarise, she said really that it had to be in new condition. I would like to stress that these competitions were both in Agricultural Shows that had small craft sections and I have no idea who judged them either. I would think that Quilt Shows would be entirely different stories, especially in the US. You would have to read carefully the rules for entry, and/or ask questions beforehand.
Old 08-27-2011, 05:48 PM
Power Poster

I've just read Karen McTavish's book on preparing your quilt for show. She totally wets her quilts and blocks them prior to putting on the binding....so seems she wants the effect of washing. Really, if you mark your quilt, you almost have to wash it to insure that all the markings are gone. You know the blue pens tend to come back unless it is soaked through to the back side of the fabric- in other words- misting doesn't usually do the job.
Old 08-27-2011, 06:17 PM

thank you. i have never entered anything for compition. i have always just said my quilts were for use, rather than show. and i know my jane has mistakes, and it is not perfect, because i do not know 'the show methods', etc. but i have thought, that sometimes i should just enter. to show 'my style'. a lot of things, i do do. i miter corners, i 90 degree my binding seams, i hand stitch my binding to the backing , and i try to snap every knot when i a'm hand quilting. i try and press my seams open on the back. try to press towards the dark color when putting my blocks together. what else have i forgotton? for those, like me that are considering starting to exhibit? i guess there are books out there. are there?
Old 08-27-2011, 06:29 PM
Power Poster

I'm like you sew...I've never entered either...however..I would like to hear some feedback on my quilts from someone who can look at them up close and personal. I'd like to get some constructive criticism so that I can improve. I'm in the process of looking for the right place to show my Jane quilt. I don't have good enough photos to send them in to a juried show...I guess I could try taking it somewhere to get it professionally photographed though..thats a thought. My camera just isn't good enough anymore, nor do I have a good place to take the pics.
Old 08-27-2011, 06:32 PM

i was reading some of the threads here on the board. i search 'entering quilt shows' i think. interesting reading.

one yr, i thought all our county fair entries were were trying to have the most complicated entricate quilts, and then this yr, there weren't too many entries, and there were more 'everyday' quilts.
Old 08-27-2011, 06:43 PM
Power Poster

Our fairs here don't have any protection for the quilts...they don't display them well either. There is no written feedback that I'm aware of either. So...I'm thinking of going a different direction. I'll do a search here...I just haven't taken the time to really look into it.
Old 08-27-2011, 06:46 PM

i noticed they had someone sitting and keeping an eye on the quilting, handiwork area. i had forgotton they do that, but remembered it from 20 yrs ago when my kids used to take their steers and horses, and all the 4-H stuff. just so happened the pie and coffee diner was right next to the quilt section. :)
Old 08-27-2011, 07:03 PM
Power Poster

Oh, that would be good....a few years ago, we went to one of the larger fairs close to us specifically to see the quilts...I was appalled!...at the display and that there was no one around! We could have walked off with anything we wanted!
Old 08-27-2011, 08:20 PM

That's exactly why I'm not taking her to the fair Patti! I know they watch all the quilts at the show. At our quilt show everyone who attends the show gets a page of entries, as in size and technige [sp] and a pencil and as they walk around looking they can vote for the ones they like. Then the judges tally the results up and hand out hand made quilted ribbons to the various winners. So it's more or less people's choice. I'm entering two other quilts along with DJ and if I win anything I'll post a picture of the handmade prizes. They are made by the ladies in the guild and are mostly PP and about 3 to 4 inches square with the blue, red and white ribbons hanging on the bottom. No money is involved. I've never been to a really judged show. I probably would be afraid to! LOL!! Patti and Lesley, I think your work would definately pass any judging. So would a lot of other ladies but not mine!
Old 08-28-2011, 05:07 AM

our county fair has a lot of the displays behind glass. anything that has been sewed or crocheted, etc is locked up. then the antiques are. i do believe art work on canvas. can't think what else. we went to see willie nelson this yr. and i had to see the quilts. and my husband had to have supper with fair food. and then after i looked at all the quilts we had time to spare, and he had pie.
so jane would have been safe at our fair.