Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011 >

[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011

[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011

Old 09-02-2011, 06:37 AM
mim

I just started -- 6 blocks so far and I do have to cut out the applique ones for evenings watching TV. The PP ones will have to wait a while

Mim
Old 09-02-2011, 07:49 AM

see, and i thought the PP ones were the easiest. do you have the software? follow the #'s. wrong side of material to wrong side of pattarn. trim you seams to 1/4 in as you go.
Old 09-02-2011, 07:56 AM
mim

I love to PP but I'm doing my machine sewing on big projects right now -- The cottage just doesn't have enpugh room to make a mess -- and PP certainly is messy.
Old 09-02-2011, 08:00 AM

it sure is. and i just have to clean it up before i start each day. start out with a nice clean area.
what else are you working on? i have several going. and a couple i just need to get done for wedding presents. and haven't even started. :)
Old 09-02-2011, 09:26 AM

I am determined to get the table this weekend to get my Jane to the finally assembled and backed stage. Have been waiting weeks for DH to clear the table from his Ebay stuff, enough is enough though! Wish me luck.....
Old 09-02-2011, 11:44 AM

Way to go Karen!! We'll be watching for pics soon!!
Old 09-02-2011, 02:21 PM
KR

Originally Posted by sandpat
Congrats Karen!!! I loved doing the kites...they were a bit scarey, but fun to make.

(thanks on the kitty...she is a real cutie- currently looking for a home along with her 5 brothers/sisters...want one????)
Oh, I would love a kitty, especially one as cute as that one, but my husband's asthma just can't handle pet dander.

RE: the kites.....is it best NOT to trim them to size until the triangle borders are in place? With all those bias pieces I'm thinking it will be a real trick to get them straight to start with, and then have them come out to the length they're supposed to and leave exactly the right space for the kites.

I found backing fabric today.....so exciting!!
Old 09-02-2011, 02:41 PM

where are the ladies who have been in on this from the beginning? what did you find?
KR--that's what i thought, so i didn't. BUT it turned out that i wanted the kites the exact size of the pattarn. i even left the paper on the back and used the seam lines for sitting my tri's. do it exactly like the tute i believe suggested. For me that was the best and easiest. (kits and 3 tri's on each side sewn together and sewn lst. do those lst)
Old 09-02-2011, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by sewNso
Everything sure is quite on the jane link? is anyone working on their jane? i'm starting my 5th row of hand quilting. where is everyone else? TELL US. is your jane still an active project? LET'S GET HER DONE. how about 1 block a day ladies? and then do what ever else you have to do.
and when i get to the end, i do 2-3 tri's on each end.
I have Jane's Journey about half-way quilted. Had to stop for the spring/ summer & probably fall as it was just too hot to have that quilt spread out all over me to hand quilt it. Will probably get back to it somewhere between Thanksgving & Christmas - should be cooler by then! :-) :-) :-)
Old 09-02-2011, 07:06 PM

i know some ladies prefer to have their quilting not in a frame, etc. but have you ever considered a frame like mine? this way, it's not spread all over you. with a fan, i can do it in the summer. i did one of the 1" x the width strips today, as well as l tri and 3 blocks, as well as 4 or so strips between each block. doing a double row of quilting close to each edge. on my white.
i know the ole country ladies used to use these frames in the summer, under a tree. :)

and i had to redo the batting and material on mine this time when i started. i had given the boards to my husband for a building project one time.