Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011 >

[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011

[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011

Old 11-22-2009, 06:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BlueChicken
That would be awesome klue... thank you! Only if it truly is spare though... you're doing so much with this swap we don't want to wear you out or bankrupt you! lol
don't worry about it, i dug around my notion box and found 2 more sheets of the gridded template material.

i typically don't have alot of the gridded sheets because i only use them when i make kaleidoscope quilts like paula nadelstern.

like i said, if you want them to be hard like an omni grid ruler just have DH cut you a triangle plexi and then glue the piece i'm sending you on top of that.
Old 11-22-2009, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by kluedesigns
That would be awesome klue... thank you! Only if it truly is spare though... you're doing so much with this swap we don't want to wear you out or bankrupt you! lol
don't worry about it, i dug around my notion box and found 2 more sheets of the gridded template material.

i typically don't have alot of the gridded sheets because i only use them when i make kaleidoscope quilts like paula nadelstern.

like i said, if you want them to be hard like an omni grid ruler just have DH cut you a triangle plexi and then glue the piece i'm sending you on top of that.
He's not confident about getting the dimensions right, the saw he uses has quite a big blade, so I think this will come in very handy.
Old 11-23-2009, 06:32 AM

He's not confident about getting the dimensions right, the saw he uses has quite a big blade, so I think this will come in very handy.
Tell him to get one of these: http://www.olfa.com/UtilityKnivesDetail.aspx?C=46&Id=58

Then he can cut any size of plexiglass/perspex you need!

Jan
Old 11-23-2009, 06:49 AM

I cannot believe how excited I am to start this with you all!

Someone said they were doing all the pieces by hand, which actually got me to wondering if I wanted to do that. I woke up this morning with my arthritis in my hands killing me. I guess that would be a no. Lol. Some of those blocks look like they might go together better by hand and I may do a few by hand. I love learning new techniques so I think I may try a bit of everything with this quilt, hand sewing, machine piecing, and paper piecing. I'm also going to have to get out the coloring pencils and play around with the color and value placements. I'm definitely using scraps, but in an organized way. I will keep my eye out for sales on flat fold fabrics at a LQS. Once they go on sale I will see what is available and make a background choice then. I'm definitely leaning toward a dark background but I think I'd like to try something other than black. I wait for the flat fold sale because then the fabric is only $1.99 a yard!! As long as I am picky I usually get some great fabric.

I'm going to send out an email to all my local quilting buddies and see if anyone in my local guild might be interested in doing this with us. If there is any interest then we can meet at my house once a week or every other week to go over the block and whatnot. Doesn't that sound like fun?
Old 11-23-2009, 08:18 AM
Power Poster

WooHoo!!! Glad you are in Tiff....getting a local group does sound like fun! I'm really leaning towards the dark background also... :lol: :lol:
Old 11-23-2009, 08:45 AM

I read that there is a link for DJ made with batiks. Somehow I missed that! Would some one post that for me?
I have the fabric (civil war) picked out for three blocks and a triangle. I will try to post a picture when or if I get them finished. LOL! Well, at least I am going to try.
Phyllis in Mo
Old 11-23-2009, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Tiffany
I cannot believe how excited I am to start this with you all!

Someone said they were doing all the pieces by hand, which actually got me to wondering if I wanted to do that. I woke up this morning with my arthritis in my hands killing me. I guess that would be a no. Lol. Some of those blocks look like they might go together better by hand and I may do a few by hand. I love learning new techniques so I think I may try a bit of everything with this quilt, hand sewing, machine piecing, and paper piecing. I'm also going to have to get out the coloring pencils and play around with the color and value placements. I'm definitely using scraps, but in an organized way. I will keep my eye out for sales on flat fold fabrics at a LQS. Once they go on sale I will see what is available and make a background choice then. I'm definitely leaning toward a dark background but I think I'd like to try something other than black. I wait for the flat fold sale because then the fabric is only $1.99 a yard!! As long as I am picky I usually get some great fabric.

I'm going to send out an email to all my local quilting buddies and see if anyone in my local guild might be interested in doing this with us. If there is any interest then we can meet at my house once a week or every other week to go over the block and whatnot. Doesn't that sound like fun?
I'm so glad you're joining us. You have been missed. A dark background sounds great. I have already bought light fabric for my background so I am lock into that.

That would be great fun getting together with friends. So far my quilting buddys think I'm nuts to do this quilt. They will be green with envy though when it is done. :lol:
Old 11-23-2009, 10:05 AM
Banned

i know of this one which is batik and fossil fern

http://www.uncleleona.net/dearjane/
Old 11-24-2009, 05:42 AM

Are there any picture of Jane herself? I haven't been able to find one, I thought it would be nice to see a pic of her.
Old 11-24-2009, 06:03 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by bearpaw
Are there any picture of Jane herself? I haven't been able to find one, I thought it would be nice to see a pic of her.
no, i don't believe anyone has found one yet.

very little is actually known about jane.

she married but never had children but some records indicate that from time to time children stayed in their home.

during the civil war she lived alone, her husband wasn't fighting in the war - the records show that her husband lived with the brother.

according to later census records the husband did return to live with her but only after living away for around 10 years.

they weren't together for very long after he return, around 7 years. they ended up losing everything they owned and they were extremely poor. they lost all their property and were living as boarders in some one else's home.

she wasn't buried next to her husband or his family instead she was buried with her extended family.