Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
1 December 2011 House BOM picture's. >

1 December 2011 House BOM picture's.

1 December 2011 House BOM picture's.

Old 07-27-2012, 07:07 PM

I finally finished my Houses BOM quilt top and it is at the LA quilter right now! I wanted to FMQ but didn't have the courage to do a 90" x 90." I will post a pic here as soon as I am done with the binding.

Any others finishes out there?
Old 07-27-2012, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by huntersgrammie View Post
i have to ask you where did you get the picture of your lighthouse as your avatar. i love lighthouses and am hoping that it is a block that i could possibly get a copy for. it truly is amazing. any luck. thanks rachelle
Hi Rachelle, that is one of my favorite blocks, and I also enlarged it and included it in my 2011 BOM Houses quilt. The patterns is free, from a Dutch website. I am not sure the instructions are in English for this particular pattern but if you need help, let me know. Here is the link: http://www.wilmakarels.nl/blokken.php?jaar=2004
Old 07-27-2012, 08:41 PM

thanks nicky my comp. translates from any language to english so i am lucky there. i have not done any paper piecing yet but i bought an online class and will sit and take it as soon as i am finished my cataract surgery in the next few weeks. wish me luck and thanks so much p.s. can't wait to see your quilt with it on there.
Old 07-27-2012, 08:43 PM

i am really new at all this and alot of those shortcut writings are greek to me. what does fmq mean. sorry just haven't learned all these yet lol
Old 07-27-2012, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by nickylsf View Post
I finally finished my Houses BOM quilt top and it is at the LA quilter right now! I wanted to FMQ but didn't have the courage to do a 90" x 90." I will post a pic here as soon as I am done with the binding.

Any others finishes out there?
Nicky,
I can hardly wait to see your finished house block quilt!! How many house block's did you make for your quilt? I am still working on mine & am so anxous to be able to get it put together. I am planning on making 16 house blocks for mine. I am almost there!! I will be watching patiently for your next picture posting!! I also love your lighthouse block & had to make one for my quilt too. This is way to much fun!!
Old 07-28-2012, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by SulaBug View Post
Nicky,
I can hardly wait to see your finished house block quilt!! How many house block's did you make for your quilt? I am still working on mine & am so anxous to be able to get it put together. I am planning on making 16 house blocks for mine. I am almost there!! I will be watching patiently for your next picture posting!! I also love your lighthouse block & had to make one for my quilt too. This is way to much fun!!
Hi Cheryl! I ended up with 16 twelve inch blocks, and then framed each of those with 6x6, 6x12 and 6x18 paper pieced blocks, so that the 12" blocks are somewhat offset. Hard to explain until you see it. It is quite busy but I am very pleased with it.
Old 07-28-2012, 07:21 AM

i am really new at all this and alot of those shortcut writings are greek to me. what does fmq mean. sorry just haven't learned all these yet lol
Sorry Rachelle. FMQ is free motion quilting. That is quilting done on a home machine, instead of a long arm machine. You move the fabric under the needle, instead of moving the machine over the quilt. For more information, see Leah Day's blog at http://www.freemotionquilting.blogspot.com/.
Old 07-28-2012, 07:29 AM

thanks nicky my comp. translates from any language to english so i am lucky there. i have not done any paper piecing yet but i bought an online class and will sit and take it as soon as i am finished my cataract surgery in the next few weeks. wish me luck and thanks so much p.s. can't wait to see your quilt with it on there.
Hi Rachelle, there is so much information out there. Check out www.caroldoak.com. Carole is THE paper piecing guru. She has some easy beginner blocks you can download for free. Also, some wonderful books with patterns. At the beginning of each book she gives a wonderful tutorial on her technique. She also has a Yahoo Group where she designs blocks just for the group and everyone makes and shares photos. I started off paper piecing on my own, and later learned a lot by following her suggestions.

She also has posted the tutorial right on her blog. Here is the link. Have fun!!! http://www.caroldoak.com/weblog/?p=928 .
Old 07-28-2012, 09:10 AM

nicky, thank you so much for all your help. i really appreciate it. rachelle
Old 07-29-2012, 07:05 AM

Nicky, It would be fun to see your quilt both on your computer program and then again "in person." I'm going to get mine out and take an unfinished picture. I decided to stop at a twin size but still have a border or so to go.