Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
1 JANUARY 2011 BOM Pictures. >

1 JANUARY 2011 BOM Pictures.

1 JANUARY 2011 BOM Pictures.

Old 01-20-2011, 02:29 PM

k, here is my church, my first paper piece, I haven't done the embellishments yet
Attached Thumbnails attachment-164483.jpe  
Old 01-20-2011, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Short an Sweet
k, here is my church, my first paper piece, I haven't done the embellishments yet
It looks great! This is my first time too with PP.
Old 01-20-2011, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by hheelleenn
Tearing off the paper was such a stressful procedure.
Sometimes if you just mist the paper, it will pull away easier. Another tip: print your pattern out on freezer paper (you can buy a roll at the grocery store or get sheets of it from fabric shops) then the "wrong" side will adhere to your fabric with just a touch of your iron in the middle of the piece. Eliminates pins. Might be a little harder to pull away, but is worth it for me, as the fabric stays put while sewing.

I really like the tulip strip on the bottom of your Church and the windows are very cheery.
Old 01-20-2011, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Short an Sweet
VERY NICE job!! Your seams are so straight. I like the dark blue for the sky also. Good Job! I'm glad you tried PP. It is a technique that takes getting used to.
Old 01-20-2011, 03:25 PM

Wow, not only creative but you repurpose things too! Love it.

Originally Posted by hheelleenn Is the strip of flowers fabric or is it ribbon? The embellishments you added show how creative you are.
I look forward to seeing more of your work in the future. I haven't even started mine yet, hopefully in a few days, but unless my DD camera is working I won't be able to show it.
Hmmm....I do have a scanner, would that work?[/quote

Well, I tried the scanner. Didn't show the material well. The first pics I did were also not to my liking.. I took the block outside and photographed it. No the flowers were fussy cut from a bigger print and sewed into a ribbon .Then it was added it on the bottom of the "hedges" Hedges was a strip of ruffles I cut off a (stained) placemat. The "stones were salvaged from an old blouse.
Old 01-20-2011, 03:28 PM

shortandsweet I love your windows. They look like they are really stained glass! Very nice.
Old 01-20-2011, 04:48 PM
mim

Before you even start -- fold and crease the paper on the sewing lines several times. This weakens the paper so it will tear off easily and not leave edges. Also if you tear toward the sewing line it tears off evenly. I learned this from a class with Carol Doaks

Mim

Tearing off the paper was such a stressful procedure.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:24 PM

This is the first time PP for me. It was difficult for me because I have 1 usable hand (my left). With lots of tape and pins I managed to do it. I had to resolve to do it. I never felt so disabled. But I was determind to complete it. After each try went into the garbage I swore I would not do this. But I did. I've posted it before but I did not get a lot of feedback. Yeah, there are some problems. My disability is out of my control, but within my control is my imagination.
You have done really well with your paper piecing and good on you, your church is lovely! :D
Old 01-20-2011, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by Laura F
Here is my third block for this month. My DH picked out the fabrics and told me where he wanted them. I think it turned out pretty nice and he loves it. The colors look much nicer in person. The windows are a green/blue color. Now to finish my daughter's apron (long time coming) before the 1st of February. :-P
Your hubby has a good eye for color -
Old 01-20-2011, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Qbee
OK..I'm SO glad I asked! I was about to take the paper off. OK ya'll cross your fingers...next time you see me on here...I'll have a pic of my church!! :D
it is not like laying out pattern pieces on a large piece of fabric, then cutting out the front , back, sleeves etc. The smaller paper pieces stay as one large unit, sewing the fabric in numerical order to that large paper piece. When you have sewn all the little pieces to that one large paper, then you remove the one large piece of paper, which comes off in many little pieces...clear as mud yet?