Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 1 March 2012 BOM pattern and discussion

1 March 2012 BOM pattern and discussion

Hi everyone
    I'm Linda and I have been given the fantastic honour by Sulabug of picking the March BOM. I only hope that what I have picked will be upto the standard so far.
    As I live in Ireland and March is the month of our national holiday St Patricks Day, I decided to go with a shamrock. It is a pieced block which you can use your scraps for or if you wanted to you could use the same green fabric for all the pieces. I know that making it in green won't be for everybody so I'm looking forward to seeing it made up in different colours and fabrics.
    The pattern is from http://www.quiltingworks.com/howto/shamrock-block.htm.
    I've also made a tutorial on making the block which may make it easier. I've made one change from the original in that I used 2 1/2 inch background squares instead of 2 3/8 as it made it easier to cut them.
    Here is the link for the tutorial https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...OCgn8ZzwE/edit

Hope you enjoy making the block.
    Slan linn (goodbye everyone)
    LindaC
    Last edited by LindaC; 02-29-2012 at 12:52 PM.

Oh...this is exactly what i was hoping for as a March block! My grandmother's grandmother came from Kilkenny (spl. may be wrong) Thank you so much..also for posting early! Love it!!

a small village about 65 miles north of NYC
    Aaack! I finally have time to make my February block and I come down to the girl cave and discover that the March block is up already! I know that Linda is in Ireland so it is March 1st there already, but at this rate I may never catch up! Oh, well, I'll do my best - at least I'm the only one waiting for me to get this done!
    Last edited by MdmSew'n'Sew; 02-29-2012 at 01:59 PM.
    He who cuts his own wood is warmed twice, but she who makes her own quilt is warmed forever - SLR 11/7/2011

I love this! Thanks so much! One can never have too many shamrocks.

Thanks for the shamrock block. Good choice for March.

Blog Entries
    Thank You Linda C. for the great Shamrock block pattern for the month of March, 2012!! I can already see how many different & wonderful ways that it can be made & I am so anxious to see other blocks starting to be posted. Good Luck everyone & have fun sewing your blocks this month!!
    If you see someone without a SMILE, please give them one of yours!!

Blog Entries
    Thank You Linda C. for the great Shamrock block pattern for the month of March, 2012!! I can already see how many different & wonderful ways that it can be made & I am so anxious to see other blocks starting to be posted. Good Luck everyone & have fun sewing your blocks this month!!
    If you see someone without a SMILE, please give them one of yours!!

Blog Entries
    Thanks for a great block! I have already looked over your tutorial and you did a great job. As a beginner I am confident that I can do this one. I also see a lot of opportunity for variety even though it is a simple shape.
    Diana

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by walk-n-roll View Post
    Thanks for a great block! I have already looked over your tutorial and you did a great job. As a beginner I am confident that I can do this one. I also see a lot of opportunity for variety even though it is a simple shape.
    Not to mention the fact that you have some really neat fabric to work with. Guess I will have to buy some of that shamrock fabric after all!
    Kris

Linda, thank you for the March block. I just printed the pattern and look forward to making this block.
    Lynn

Linda, Great tute! Now to hit my stash for some greens.

Thanks Linda, perfect for March. I printed a copy of the pattern and will be working on it this weekend.

Can I just say thank you all so much for your kind comments, they are very much appreciated. As somebody who is a visual type person (can do it easier if I see it rather than read instructions) I thought that the step by step pictures would help. With all this encouragement I might just have to make a second block in scrappy fabrics now (especially as I have Friday off from work)

Blog Entries
    This block looks perfect! Thanks. Linda C. !!!
    Linda
    There may be times we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest. - Elie Wiesel

Hi Linda,

I can't seem to get the whole pattern printed.
    What am I doing wrong? Help Please!

Thanks Linda, for the block and the tutorial! Looks like a fun one and I have lots of different greens.
    Colleen
    This fabric would be just perfect for a....

Quote Originally Posted by tweety2 View Post
    Hi Linda,

I can't seem to get the whole pattern printed.
    What am I doing wrong? Help Please!
    I've pm'd you about this to see if I can help

dd
    I couldn't get it to print either. It kept coming out almost 3". I finally gave up and drew one. It's not hard. All straight lines. Maybe not in exactly the same places but close enough as long as the quilt police don't show up.hehe
    Blessed are the quilters, for they are the piecemakers.

Quote Originally Posted by dd View Post
    I couldn't get it to print either. It kept coming out almost 3". I finally gave up and drew one. It's not hard. All straight lines. Maybe not in exactly the same places but close enough as long as the quilt police don't show up.hehe
    dd it is a pieced block not "paper pieced".that is why it isn't as big as the other 2 blocks we have for Jan and Feb. Look at the tute she made it will help alot. Good luck Mary
    Mary

Linda this is a pretty block. Thanks. Can't wait to see what everyone does with it.
    Mary

can't wait to get started on it- the one shown is beautiful. hoping I have some shamrock fabric left in stash, otherwise hitting my mom up for hers (shhh don't tell).

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thomp116 View Post
    Not to mention the fact that you have some really neat fabric to work with. Guess I will have to buy some of that shamrock fabric after all!
    I will be happy to share!
    Diana

dd
    Quote Originally Posted by lawsonmugs View Post
    dd it is a pieced block not "paper pieced".that is why it isn't as big as the other 2 blocks we have for Jan and Feb. Look at the tute she made it will help alot. Good luck Mary
    Oh, um, I knew that. Oh well, guess mine will be paper pieced, now that I've drawn them and copied them, might as well use them.
    Blessed are the quilters, for they are the piecemakers.

Perfect choice Linda, this is what I was hoping for. I have all my greens ready. Here I go....
    "Impossible is an opinion, not a fact" Cameron Clapp

http://signatures.mylivesignature.co...47687D2C18.png

Quote Originally Posted by dd View Post
    Hi dd
    I think you are trying to print the drawing from the http://www.quiltingworks.com/howto/shamrock-block.htm site but this is only to show you how the blocks are laid out, if you look further down on the page you will see the size of squares that you need to cut out or if you go into the tutorial you will see it. It is a pieced block rather than paper pieced

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast