Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
#12 Mystery Quilt Train Ride >

#12 Mystery Quilt Train Ride

#12 Mystery Quilt Train Ride

Old 03-27-2016, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by thimblebug6000 View Post
Wow.... just jan.... what a beautiful machine, have you treadled before?

Thanks paintmejudy.... I'm still working on my blocks... thank goodness DD is hosting dinner tonight so didn't have to take my Featherweight off the dining room table. [ATTACH=CONFIG]546209[/ATTACH]
I'll be 72 tomorrow and I learned to sew as a child on my mother's treadle. I guess I was probably about 12 when she got her electric machine and I haven't treadled since. I'm anxious to start again.
I love all your pretty quilting items on the table. (And love your furniture.) I got "burned out" on making those spiral table runners for Christmas gifts. You just reminded me I have the top of a blue and purple one that I need to finish for me! I also haven't used my Featherweight yet. Got it several months ago but so far haven't made anything with it. Been sewing for friends and now its "me time" so I can keep what I make on them. ;o)
Old 03-27-2016, 03:58 PM
Power Poster

Oh my God JustJan... I love it. Looks like new. I bought a redeye at a auction and it needs cleaned up. It had no table I got it for $17. Needs a really good cleaning.Usually the Amish around here get all the treadles even when it is just the head.There weren't any there when this one came up for sale. I have a treadle table I'm refinishing (for the last year) to mount it to. I can't wait to use it. Yours is so pretty. Have fun with it.
Old 03-27-2016, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by lawsonmugs View Post
Oh my God JustJan... I love it. Looks like new. I bought a redeye at a auction and it needs cleaned up. It had no table I got it for $17. Needs a really good cleaning.Usually the Amish around here get all the treadles even when it is just the head.There weren't any there when this one came up for sale. I have a treadle table I'm refinishing (for the last year) to mount it to. I can't wait to use it. Yours is so pretty. Have fun with it.
Sounds like you got a really good deal. I had an oak chair out on the back porch because it didn't match anything, so had no real home. I cleaned it up and brought it inside this evening and its a perfect match to the style and color of treadle cabinet. I have sort of a chair fetish and rescued it from some thrift store long ago, just because I liked it! Now its like getting a free chair to match. My plan is to sand and urethane it then make a quilted cushion for it. Does this quilting addiction ever stop? LOL
Old 03-27-2016, 05:19 PM

Jan, that is a beautiful sewing machine!
Old 03-27-2016, 08:46 PM

That is one beautiful machine. My mother has a Singer and it is the only machine that she uses. She is 86 and both her and her machine have been together since 1951. I learnt to sew on the machine when I was around 8 years old.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]546238[/ATTACH]

Mum still makes all her clothes on that machine today.
Attached Thumbnails imgp3164-2-.jpg  
Old 03-28-2016, 08:19 AM

Busy Fingers, thanks for the pix. Your mom's machine looks brand new, too. You go, Mom!
Old 03-28-2016, 08:36 AM
Power Poster

Gorgeous machine Karen. Glad to hear your mom is doing well enough to keep sewing. Bless her heart.
Old 03-28-2016, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by whitepine View Post
Quilterbunny & Dairybarn. I really like your squares without a border. How do you do the edge and have it look so nice?
Sandwich the back, top, batting with right sides together, sew, leaving space to turn and then turn and stitch closed. Not real easy to keep the batting from showing! Then stitch along the edge to hold.
Old 03-28-2016, 09:11 AM

Love all the blocks! So much fun to see how different they look 😃😃
Old 03-28-2016, 09:20 AM

Thanks Quilterbunny. I wondered if that's what you did.