Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
#13 Mystery Quilt Train Ride >

#13 Mystery Quilt Train Ride

#13 Mystery Quilt Train Ride

Old 05-07-2016, 07:00 AM

dhanke - love love love this.

Please, don't anyone ask me to pick a favorite, I could never do it as they are all my favorites!
Old 05-07-2016, 07:07 AM

Default Let's get started!

Please keep in mind that you will on occasion need to cut from a fabric today that will be cut at a later date. Be as economical as you can in order to have enough left to cut next week or the week after. Sometimes you will not need the entire WOF to get the pieces you need. As always, you will be using a Ό” seam. Adjust your machine accordingly. I always seem to need a scant Ό” when I have a block with a lot of pieces.

So, today you will use your C D E fabrics. Look at my picture to see how they go together and make sure your fabrics have enough contrast. From Fabric C cut a strip 4-1/2” wide and sub-cut 2-1/2” wide, into 16 pieces that will be 4-1/2” by 2-1/2”.

From Fabric E, cut a WOF that each measure 2-1/2” wide and sub-cut 16 pieces that measure 2-1/2” square. Mark a diagonal from corner to corner on the wrong side. ( for light and medium fabrics, my new favorite marking tool is the Frixion pen, the one that disappears when you apply the least bit of heat from your iron. I wish they had a white or yellow! I don’t use the Frixion that is erasable.) Place right sides of a marked E together on a Fabric C rectangle, and, sew along the marked line. Watching the angle of the line, flip the corner up, press, and trim. Make sure these pieces of C-E look like the sample.

Make half square triangles from E and D that will measure 2-1/2” square. If you do it the way the Quilt Police tell you, you will cut blocks at 2-7/8” square. If you are like me and have trouble with the little HSTs, do what I do and cut the blocks at 3” square and trim after pressing. Cut 8 each of the D and E fabrics in the 2-7/8” or 3” size, and mark a diagonal line each side that is Ό” from the center diagonal. I use a little thingy that gets placed from corner to corner along the line and then mark each side of the thingy. Mark the wrong side of the lightest of the blocks. Put an E and a D together, and sew a fraction away from the line, because the marking line will take up a bit of space, so my sewing line is toward what would be the center diagonal. Cut down the middle, press gently so you don’t stretch the blocks. Trim to a 2-1/2” square as needed

Cut an additional 16 squares from the strip of Fabric E that measure 2-1/2” square. Do not mark these.

Please watch the direction of the diagonal when sewing these pieces together. Make your block look like the sample. Take a 2-1/2” square and place with a 2-1/2” half square triangle, sew and press. Place one each of the units you made, and sew together, matching the angles of my sample. You will have 16 of these 4-2/2” pieces. Press. These need to measure 4-1/2” square and all will look the same. My block hasn't been pressed and look a bit wonky, but was 4-1/2" square when pressed.

Not a lot to do today, but the weather is getting nice, and you need to get outside and get your Vitamin C! Can’t wait to see some of the sections from all the fabulous fabrics that have been shown this past week. I am going to go do a little gardening before it gets too warm.We are having an unseasonably cool few days. It was a high of 75 yesterday, just lovely, perfect weather here, and should be about that today. But was 102 the day before. Bit high for early May but those days will be here very soon. Ugh.
Attached Thumbnails week-2-.jpg   week-2-.jpg   week-2-b.jpg   week-2-c.jpg  
Old 05-07-2016, 07:16 AM

Looks very interesting! Will need to wait until after my walking group this morning before I get started.

Sure love the fabrics others have chosen, especially the nice bright ones! Oh well.... I'll stay with my first choice for now
Old 05-07-2016, 07:19 AM

thimble, your fabrics are great, don't stress over this.
Old 05-07-2016, 08:02 AM

Default cutting!

Originally Posted by paintmejudy View Post
thimble, your fabrics are great, don't stress over this.
So busy today, had to take a peek. Mother's Day lunch at MOM's assisted living, cleaned house for before for my kids (2) and grandkids (4) for meal and fun! Ending with dinner with Dad at his rehab nursing home. I really can only think about my fabric and will get to it tomorrow, before kids get off bus.
HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY TO ALL AND HAPPY WOMEN'S DAY FOR THOSE WITHOUT CHILDREN AT CHURCH.
Old 05-07-2016, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by paintmejudy View Post
( ... I wish they had a white or yellow! I don’t use the Frixion that is erasable.)
Judy, try Clover's White Marking Pen #517 -- it works just like the Frixion pens.

I haven't started this new mystery but am keeping up with the posts until the day I can. Hopefully I'll finish the graduation quilt I'm making within the coming week (she says with a laugh ).
Old 05-07-2016, 11:24 AM

OK, Ready for next clue! LOL Here are four of my 16 completed blocks. Strange looking little things, hope they are right! Time to head to the club car for a beverage.
Attached Thumbnails 13-mystery-001.jpg  
Old 05-07-2016, 11:35 AM

Just Jan.... they look great..... will need to wait until tomorrow before I get to sew, have to put some planters out and then heading out with DD for an early Mother's Day time. Look forward to seeing how all these fabrics are coming together!
Old 05-07-2016, 12:56 PM

Finished mine too! Will post before I head outside to clean the pond. Yard is never ending this time of the year.[ATTACH=CONFIG]549558[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 002.jpg  
Old 05-07-2016, 01:19 PM

Finals next week--turn in grades--then I can start!