Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
#13 Mystery Quilt Train Ride >

#13 Mystery Quilt Train Ride

#13 Mystery Quilt Train Ride

Old 09-03-2016, 08:02 AM

Well, all righty, then, everyone is on board for the 10th. Again, sorry about the confusion, I was talking on the phone with my daughter, looked at the calendar and typed the wrong date. NEXT SATURDAY, I PROMISE, HONEST.

The bedock also sound very much like British pasties.My first mother in law was 1st generation German and she grew up learning to cook from her mother, like the bedock recipe. When I was a new bride with very limited recipe collection, my MIL was the one who taught me a lot as she lived close and my mother lived far away, and that is how she taught me a lot of the recipes my new husband wanted me to make. The chocolate cake I could never duplicate was perfect for her, mine never turned out right even after watching her make it a few times. A pinch of salt. An egg of flour? I don't think I ever got that measurement right. And I was never able to make perfect Yorkshire pudding like my grandmother taught my mother, it was one of those recipes, too.
Old 09-03-2016, 08:18 AM

No I didn't boil the ground beef. Just brown it in a pan, drain really good, add onions and cabbage and cook until they are half way done. Then put in bread dough, seal, let rise and bake until golden brown.
Sunscreen and bug spray on my long list of do not forgets
Old 09-03-2016, 08:47 AM

Judy, check your email. I am sending email that keeps coming back as undeliverable. Sent you a PM too.
Old 09-03-2016, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by jaba View Post
No I didn't boil the ground beef. Just brown it in a pan, drain really good, add onions and cabbage and cook until they are half way done. Then put in bread dough, seal, let rise and bake until golden brown.
Sunscreen and bug spray on my long list of do not forgets
Sounds similar to a Polish dish I make called Haluska. Start with bacon instead of gr beef, brown, drain, add cabbage and onions, add lid and a tiny bit of water to steam it. When almost tender add cooked Gnocchi's or substitute egg noodles. When tender and flavors are blended, serve with sour cream. Spices are up to you, but I use 'McCormics' Perfect Pinch Garlic and Herbs' and sometimes I add a little black pepper. Hey, Jaba, I just had an egg, grits and toast. When you get here see if anywhere around you serves Grits and Talapia. Best breakfast ever!
Ok enough about food. Time for me to go clean up my sewing rooms!
Old 09-03-2016, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by kwiltkrazy View Post
German pasty with cabbage, onions, long simmered roast with allspice, wrapped in a onion yeast dough, then baked, good hot or cold.
I won't forget that one now, that really does sound good, so glad you are bringing it to the train for us to try.
Old 09-03-2016, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by AnngelAnne View Post
I won't forget that one now, that really does sound good, so glad you are bringing it to the train for us to try.
Yep, and she promised us wine with it, too! Its gonna be a fun trip.
Old 09-03-2016, 10:55 AM

no you saute the beef jan. Do you put allspice in yours?
Old 09-03-2016, 12:03 PM
Power Poster

My mama had a teacup with the handle broken off. It held between a 1/2 cup and maybe 2/3 cup. She baked with that for measuring and it always turned out so nice. Her breads, biscuits cakes what ever. She didn't use a measuring cup or measuring spoons. Then came along me........ Lost without all my measuring things. lol. Have a good holiday weekend everybody.
Old 09-03-2016, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by kwiltkrazy View Post
no you saute the beef jan. Do you put allspice in yours?
Not sure if you meant this message for me. The only way I use allspice in is when I can pickled cauliflower and carrots, etc. Oh yes, have also added it to the broth for pickled eggs in beets/vinegar.
Old 09-03-2016, 08:09 PM

Bedock sounds a little like runzas which is another polish or german thing. Its a meat pie made with ground beef, cabbage, onions and whatever seasonings you want baked in a bread dough. I keep changing my recipe each time I make mine and now add ground pork and shredded cheese inside. Also changed to pie dough and use these pie pans that have separate pie shaped slices so you can put a different filling in each wedge. Comes with a special wedge cutter so once baked its a sealed pie wedge to take with you. I make a big batch and freeze them to take one or two out at a time. I like throwing them into the oven for about 10 minutes if thawed instead of the microwave as they tend to get soggy otherwise. Nebraska has Runza Hut fast food joints but no where else have I found them, not even here in Iowa right over the border.