Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
#13 Mystery Quilt Train Ride >

#13 Mystery Quilt Train Ride

#13 Mystery Quilt Train Ride

Old 09-03-2016, 09:37 PM

Jan-I meant the first part for you and the second part for Jaba
Old 09-04-2016, 06:08 AM

I've never used allspice in mine. Just garlic salt and pepper.
Love tilapia but not sure about grits
Old 09-04-2016, 08:06 AM

SNOOZE297 Please tell me more about that pie pan. I would love to have one. What is it called? Is there a website where I can see one?
Old 09-04-2016, 11:54 AM

oooo jaba, grits are good stuff! I'm not Southern. I was born in the way up North, but love 'em. Never had them growing up, it was my late DH that first made me aware of grits and how to cook them. I love them when I throw in a handful of grated cheese as soon as they are cooked so the cheese gets all melted. Oh my, I do have a little grated cheese in the frig, do believe that is going to be my lunch!
Old 09-04-2016, 02:05 PM

When I went to Brazil, I was looking for a favorite dish my Grandmother called pasteis. It had ground beef, hard boiled egg, a cooked shrimp & an olive. In Brazil, I learned pasteis means pastry... duh! Many kinds, many fillings. My
Grandmother came to Brazil when she was 7, from Austria, and later came to Brooklyn, NY in 1927. Her baking was international, buttery, and wonderful. Imagine my sorrow, when I visited her from college. She had discovered cake mix...!
I will bake for the train, butter, no cake mix!
Old 09-04-2016, 04:37 PM

Will have to try those grits again, maybe I just had some that weren't cooked right. It has been awhile but do remember thinking they were awful. One more shot, I promise
Old 09-04-2016, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by jaba View Post
Will have to try those grits again, maybe I just had some that weren't cooked right. It has been awhile but do remember thinking they were awful. One more shot, I promise
If you like corn or corn bread you will like grits. I sometimes buy the box with individual envelopes and just neuk it with water and when its done add a chunk of butter and/or shredded cheese. You can also make it from scratch and pour it into a buttered loaf pan and refrigerate overnight. Next morning slice, roll in flour and fry for breakfast. (Fried Mush) Serve with syrup for a change from pancakes. But the little envelopes that come like instant oatmeal also come as plain grits or cheese grits. I love them with toast for a fast meal when I'm quilting! What you had before may have been just plain grits, in a restaurant. Those aren't good until you add butter! As a kid up north we ate them as hot cereal with milk and sugar. In the south they are more of a side dish.

Last edited by Just Jan; 09-04-2016 at 08:07 PM.
Old 09-05-2016, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by Snooze2978 View Post
Bedock sounds a little like runzas which is another polish or german thing. Its a meat pie made with ground beef, cabbage, onions and whatever seasonings you want baked in a bread dough. I keep changing my recipe each time I make mine and now add ground pork and shredded cheese inside. Also changed to pie dough and use these pie pans that have separate pie shaped slices so you can put a different filling in each wedge. Comes with a special wedge cutter so once baked its a sealed pie wedge to take with you. I make a big batch and freeze them to take one or two out at a time. I like throwing them into the oven for about 10 minutes if thawed instead of the microwave as they tend to get soggy otherwise. Nebraska has Runza Hut fast food joints but no where else have I found them, not even here in Iowa right over the border.
Thanks for the PM about the pan. I just purchased one on ebay. I love making things ahead to freeze. May have to buy a second pan. I wonder is I could wrap them up like Pigs in a Blanket and bake them in my over sized cup cake pans. I was also wondering if they could be reheated in a toaster oven instead of heating up the regular oven. hmmm
Old 09-05-2016, 11:53 AM

I'm cleaning up my UFOs in anticipation of the upcoming train--so excited!
Old 09-05-2016, 12:13 PM
Power Poster

Good girl AngeliaNR. Now show us some pictures while we're waiting for Saturday. lol