Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
#13 Mystery Quilt Train Ride >

#13 Mystery Quilt Train Ride

#13 Mystery Quilt Train Ride

Old 09-07-2016, 01:16 PM

Too funny..
Old 09-07-2016, 01:24 PM

Ok, thanks. I never read Harry Potter books. Didn't have a clue!
Old 09-07-2016, 02:09 PM

DH and I love Fried Mush for breakfast, although I make slightly different. I home can pork ribs and it is used mostly for fried mush. I open a quart jar and remove all the bones. Cut all the meat into small pieces. Mix all purpose cornmeal, broth from the canned pork, salt and milk. Cook slightly and then add meat and cook until thick. Spread into a loaf pan and chill until the next morning. Slice thin, roll in all purpose flour and fry slow until brown and crisp. Serve right out of the skillet or with maple syrup. Yum good country cooking

I thought I heard a train whistle this afternoon. Magic train? Around the world Saturday? Well I can't miss this one. Did someone say Cookies? I'll make the sweet tea and coffee---I like mine strong
Old 09-07-2016, 03:22 PM
Power Poster

Oh my cookies from Judy Claus!!!! It really is this Saturday right. I'm not ahead of schedule again am I ? Jan I never read Harry Potter either, I thought I was the only one. lol.
Old 09-07-2016, 03:37 PM

If you did not see the first movie you may not know that the 'suitcase' he had from the under the stairs room..the one he packed when he left.....was a SINGER 301A sewing machine case....no wonder his Aunt was furious ! It, along with several thousand other pieces used in the movie are on display here in Burbank in the display area near the sound stages.

see you all on Saturday
Old 09-07-2016, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Redtop View Post
DH and I love Fried Mush for breakfast, although I make slightly different. I home can pork ribs and it is used mostly for fried mush. I open a quart jar and remove all the bones. Cut all the meat into small pieces. Mix all purpose cornmeal, broth from the canned pork, salt and milk. Cook slightly and then add meat and cook until thick. Spread into a loaf pan and chill until the next morning. Slice thin, roll in all purpose flour and fry slow until brown and crisp. Serve right out of the skillet or with maple syrup. Yum good country cooking

I thought I heard a train whistle this afternoon. Magic train? Around the world Saturday? Well I can't miss this one. Did someone say Cookies? I'll make the sweet tea and coffee---I like mine strong
What you make is Scrapple. Its from an old PA Dutch recipe made of pork, milk, cornmeal and pepper. It can be made using any kind of leftover meat, but sausage is most often used.. When I was a kid my dad always preferred pork,too,when he made Scrapple. Mom just made plain mush when she made it. Fried Mush is made using just cornmeal, water and salt. Funny the things you remember 60+ years later! Makes one aware that kids are always watching, even when adults don't give it a second thought! I made some mush this morning to fry for breakfast tomorrow, so maybe I'll fry up some sausage patties with it! Sounds so good! Glad you posted this.

Last edited by Just Jan; 09-07-2016 at 04:12 PM.
Old 09-07-2016, 04:21 PM

Redtop I just had a thought... PA Dutch recipe for Sauerkraut and Pork calls for adding chopped apples. (I always add beer, too, which gives it a real home made kraut taste. The alcohol cooks out but the yeast taste stays and makes it so yummy. Anyway, I'm getting off topic. I was thinking of how you make your Scrapple with your home canned pork, and was thinking I bet it would be good to add some finely chopped apples to it just before putting it in the frig. over night; or serve it with chunky apple sauce. If you can foods, you know about good home canned chunky apple sauce!

Last edited by Just Jan; 09-07-2016 at 04:23 PM.
Old 09-08-2016, 06:36 AM

Jan and Mary, add me to the list. I haven't read the books nor seen the movies, and doubt I ever will. I think our numbers are few.

And Jan - when we lived in upstate NY, the apple capital of the US, or at least it used to be when I lived there, I bought apples by the bushel and canned chunky apple sauce. I don't like the smooth stuff they sell now, so still make my chunky. But ends up being more expensive than the commercial sauce, wonder what a bushel of apples would sell for now. LOL

Also still make apple butter every year. Love it and well worth the work.

And by the way, to clear this up, my middle name is Claus, I married the tooth fairy's brother Jack O'Lantern - so you can see, our family is busy pretty much all year round.

Saturday is just around the corner. I'm so excited! Like a kid at Christmas.
Old 09-08-2016, 07:43 AM

too funny PMJ, also I only like home made apple sauce. The commercial stuff is lifeless goo with too much sugar, you lose the taste of the apples.
Old 09-08-2016, 09:50 AM

I like to make my home made applesauce using brown sugar! The flavor is so much better!