Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
#14 Mystery Quilt Train Ride >

#14 Mystery Quilt Train Ride

#14 Mystery Quilt Train Ride

Old 10-01-2016, 06:36 AM

KwiltKrazy- You posted at 10:21 and I got the notice at 10:35. I just checked my mail settings and it was set to notify me every 5 minutes. I changed the setting to instantly. But even with the 5 minute delay it shouldn't have taken 14 minutes. Lets hope this change helps.

Last edited by Just Jan; 10-01-2016 at 06:44 AM.
Old 10-01-2016, 06:46 AM

wow that is really slow. don't know your time because I was doing something else, but caught it at 7:46
Old 10-01-2016, 06:47 AM

Default Week 4 - we've reached the last stop in the train ride

Good morning to all. Hope you will enjoy your Saturday, if nothing planned, you will be able to finish your runner! Woo hoo!

So, I had said I’d tell you about the history behind #14 mystery quilt. My friend Jan asked me if I would like to do a little mystery, that I never got to do one, and she wanted me to be able to have some fun with a mystery block. She said that she found this block, it is an old one, and we could do a mystery. She gave directions for one part, I sent her a pix of what I made and she’d send me another part of the block. We spent a fun-filled Saturday afternoon, and I really enjoyed myself. So, Jan, thank you again for the wonderful mystery you made for me, my own personal mystery block! I’ve asked Jan to post the block she made that Saturday afternoon. She embellished on the block pattern, and it is beautiful.

Now, on to finish your quilt. Perhaps you were frustrated wondering how all these pieces would come together. Part of it is due to the fact that this is a 14-1/2” unfinished block, not 12-1/2”.

I neglected to take a picture of the layout the blocks in a 9 patch before sewing it all together. But I know you can tell how to put it together if you look at the large single block, it was copied from the full 3 block runner and has sashing. As you see, after the assembly of the blocks, it is a simple 9-patch.

Snowball; Make 3 snowball blocks. From A and a piece that should measures about 6-1/2” by 19”, to give yourself a bit of squaring up space, cut 3 blocks that measure 6-1/2” square. From C use the 12 blocks that measure 2-1/2” square, they were cut previously.

On the reverse side of your C mark a line corner to corner. Sew just inside the line so you have a scant seam. Bring the corner of the C to meet the corner of the A and press. Trim the excess fabric on the back. See pictures for clarification.

Corner square -- Assemble with the squares and HSTs. Each 4-1/2” block will have 2 HST in C/D and one each of a 2-1/2” square of A and C. See picture. You will have 12 of this unit. All will look alike. Watch alignment of pieces.

Assemble the geese and C strips. See picture. You will have 12 of this unit.

Assemble the three blocks – a simple 9-patch.

Sashing from E, fabric is your choice, cut four 1-1/2” WOF strips. To be the most economical, using 2 of the strips, attach a strip to each of the short ends. Trim and press. Attach one cut-off piece to each remaining WOF and sew on to the long sides of the runner. Press.

Borders I used B because I had enough, use whatever you have or add a different fabric. Cut 4 pieces at 2-1/2” WOF. You may need 5 strips if your fabric isn’t wide enough. Attach the borders using the same directions as given for the sashing.

Sandwich with backing and batting and quilt as desired. Trim and bind. And you have a beautiful runner. Or some will have nice sized lap quilts. I can’t wait to see what will comes out of your sewing rooms on this mystery.

AND NOW – Ta dah! - I have a little surprise for you, a bonus mystery. Starting on Oct. 15, giving you 2 weeks to take a breath, I am going to do #15 Mystery Quilt EXPRESS train ride. It will coincidentally start on the 15th, and be done on the 19th. Three clues will give you enough time, as you will begin cutting on the 15th. It’s a small, fun, fast, versatile project that you can use as you wish – after you do this one block, you will know how many to make for whatever you plan on making. King Size? No problem! Please hop on board for this fast scrappy block, same time, same thread -- Block of the Week and Month section. New title will be #15 Mystery Quilt Express Train Ride. I love this block!
Attached Thumbnails week-4-.jpg   week-4-b-press-snowball.jpg   week-4-c-snowball.jpg   week-4-d-assemble-corner-block.jpg   week-4-e-assemble-geese-unit.jpg  

week-4-f-assemble-block.jpg   week-4-g-assemble-blocks-quilt.jpg   week-4-h-final-project.jpg  
Old 10-01-2016, 06:48 AM

OMG that is beautiful. I"ll be there for #15.
Old 10-01-2016, 07:02 AM

Oh my! Judy, that is gorgeous!! Thank you!
Old 10-01-2016, 07:14 AM

this is a beautiful quilt i've copied the pattern will sew later when i get out this slump i've been in all year need to make chrismas gifts thanks Judy for these mysterys.
Old 10-01-2016, 07:15 AM

Once again, a lovely pattern. Thank you very much, Judy, for all 14 of your wonderful mysteries. I won't be in town for the #15 Express, but I'll pick it up after I get back home. And I love scrappies, so looking forward to it.
Old 10-01-2016, 07:27 AM

What a great pattern, Judy. You said it was an old pattern but it looks so sophisticated in the batiks. It's so much fun when we make all the guesses and aren't even close. Can't wait to see some final blocks.

I'm heading for the NYC breakfast and going straight for the minosas. Coffee just isn't doing it for me this morning.

Last edited by whitepine; 10-01-2016 at 07:35 AM.
Old 10-01-2016, 07:30 AM

Ok, Judy has exposed me for the farce I am! LOL Yes, I knew what her mystery was... but I did make three more so I could sew along with you all. I will post those three as soon as I finish them. But for now, here is Judy's mystery and one of my little toppers I made using another block pattern. These little toppers are addictive. To figure the size of the corner squares you just use the same size as the corner triangles for a quilt that is set on point. Here is a wonderful chart from Bonnie K Hunter. www.quiltville.com/onpointmath.shtml [ATTACH=CONFIG]559336[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]559337[/ATTACH] The first pix is a 12" block with a border added and the second one is Judy's Personal Mystery block. They end up being about 24" square.
Attached Thumbnails table-topper.jpg   sam_0012.jpg  
Old 10-01-2016, 07:40 AM

Judy your table runner is gorgeous! Very beautiful! I haven't made a runner using this pattern, but after seeing yours with sashing and all, I just might! Your fabric choices are perfect! I'm looking forward to the next mystery, which will really be a mystery to me. LOL This has been a fun ride.