Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
#14 Mystery Quilt Train Ride >

#14 Mystery Quilt Train Ride

#14 Mystery Quilt Train Ride

Old 09-24-2016, 03:17 PM

Big cheer to Judy! I have been sick, stuck inside. This project has kept me on the positive side.
Don't forget to send Judy some snow. Pm me if you are interested.
Old 09-24-2016, 03:36 PM

whispering.....some of my geese look like/ act like turkeys.....thinking of changing fabric choices
Old 09-24-2016, 03:50 PM

Sunlite--so funny. Hope they work out for you. Just finished my halloween geese, except for trimming. Ended up with 144 gems(extra 1/2 squares) from the cut offs.
Old 09-24-2016, 04:07 PM

Angelia, I don't do geese like this anymore but teach it this way because not everyone has a ruler for it, or don't like to use it. I bought one at Joann with a 40% coupon, it was under $10. I know you end up with bias, but it is so easy for me to do and much more accurante for me. And when you are sewing the blocks together, 99% of the time you are sewing to a straight grain block. I was always not making the block right, or it got cut a tiny bit off because of my astigmatism. Anyway,I know there are a couple different ones out there, this was omnigrid, and I love it.
Old 09-24-2016, 04:09 PM

Aw Dotty, still not feeling a whole lot better. So sorry, hope all is good soon.

Sunlite I love when you are on the trains, it is my entertainment for the day. You never cease to delight me.
Old 09-24-2016, 04:28 PM

Printed out the instructions but no time to sew today. Hopefully tomorrow is a day at the sewing machine. I read a little confusion on the number of squares, guess I need to go back and read from the last step or is there 1 Post that makes the correction? Would appreciate knowing ....Only 6:30 and I'm really ready for bed but been up since 2:45 a.m. I'll be glad when we leave for the winter, think I'm sooooo over thinking this, lots of short nights
Old 09-24-2016, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by jaba View Post
Printed out the instructions but no time to sew today. Hopefully tomorrow is a day at the sewing machine. I read a little confusion on the number of squares, guess I need to go back and read from the last step or is there 1 Post that makes the correction? Would appreciate knowing ....Only 6:30 and I'm really ready for bed but been up since 2:45 a.m. I'll be glad when we leave for the winter, think I'm sooooo over thinking this, lots of short nights
You're good where you are right now. I just went out to get something from my car and the air is like hot, thick, pea soup. Hopefully it will have cooled down some by the time you get here. The mystery correction is just after today's post. Just a small math error that doesn't affect our projects. We cut 12 squares of three fabrics which makes a total of 36 squares. Judy just made a typo and said we would use all 24 next week. She meant all 36 next week. Then she got upset with herself and posted a huge, red-font correction. You can't miss it! LOL So stop stressing and get some rest. Jan
Old 09-24-2016, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Chasezzz View Post
So...did the geese. We were supposed to do something with the left over corners, right? I call it purple serpents. Measures about 6" x 8" and may end up as a mug rug.
Love your geese and your mug rug. Purple Serpents is a perfect name! I might borrow your idea. Have a bunch of little HST left over from my Halloween table runner and was just playing with them this morning trying to come up with a use for them. Thanks for posting. Jan
Old 09-24-2016, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by AngeliaNR View Post
I made some geese--why do they intimidate me so? I've a bunch more to do tomorrow. Thanks, Judy, for making me stretch!
I have several Flying Geese rulers but my fav is the one by June Tailor called "Perfect Half-Square and Quarter-Square Triangles." Makes sizes 1 1/2" to 6 1/2". If you go online there is a tutorial showing how to use it. http://www.junetailor.com/halfsquaretriangles_video.htm
eBay item number:152246516515 has one for $17.79 with free shipping and usually there is no tax. I have the ones by Fons and Porter and Eleanor Burns, but this is my fav and i has all the sizes in one ruler.
Old 09-24-2016, 06:10 PM
dd

So we have 1 piece of fabric, E, that hasn't been cut yet, right? E is the dark-dark. Or did I miss something?