Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
17th Mystery Quilt Train Ride Sept. 9, 2017 >

17th Mystery Quilt Train Ride Sept. 9, 2017

17th Mystery Quilt Train Ride Sept. 9, 2017

Old 09-22-2017, 07:28 AM

I went to my LQS to find a red color that would go with the holly fabric. I think I found the perfect color. Let me know what you think. Also, I'm still not sure what order I should use them. Suggestions please.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]580995[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails mystery-17.jpg  
Old 09-22-2017, 07:28 AM
Power Poster

Oh Wow I just realized tomorrow is clue 2.
Old 09-22-2017, 07:30 AM
Power Poster

Karen I agree I love it. It's not to bright like regular red would be. The red in the holly is soft like the one you got. Good job girlfriend. lol
Old 09-22-2017, 08:08 AM

Loving that red with the other fabrics, klaws. Fabric C has been ID'ed as background, so I'd use the cream/white for C the green and red for A and B and the marvelous multi batik as feature fabric D.
Old 09-22-2017, 09:31 AM

Karen - great choices! Going to be a beautiful Christmas runner!
Old 09-22-2017, 04:50 PM

Aunt59, I have posted them on the UFO challenge of the month thread on this board, hosted by Janice McC. I had so many that were pieced and sewn but not completed with the quilting and binding. I had made up my mind that this summer they were going to get done and donated. Mission almost complete, I have about 4 left. Started with over 20, either quilts, runners or wall hangings.
Klaws, need to add that I love your fabric! Great choice on the red, it sure looks perfect to me...
Old 09-22-2017, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by klaws View Post
I went to my LQS to find a red color that would go with the holly fabric. I think I found the perfect color. Let me know what you think. Also, I'm still not sure what order I should use them. Suggestions please.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]580995[/ATTACH]
I vote with the group on D for the beautiful holly. And me? I'd hope I had enough for the border! That red is lovely, soft with a bit of character in it! As to the background, definately the lightest. For the A and B -- use the one you like the most for the A as it will have the most visual impact.(I vote for the red)

Ok, shutting down for tonight. Time to feed the dog, poor soul is sitting next to me, watching me. He knows when it is dinner time. See you all in the morning. Get a good night sleep, you will have a busy day.
Old 09-23-2017, 03:47 AM

Whooo whooo, clang, clang... The train is moving right along... I'm going to the club car for some breakfast and another cup of coffee. Waiting is the hardest part... I'm 2 hours behind Judy's time, so it seems like waiting takes forever!
Old 09-23-2017, 06:12 AM

Default Ready, set, cut and sew!

Today we will start by making some flying geese. Since there are lots of methods and specialty rulers for these, I am not going to tell you what to cut. You know how to do this! If you are using the standard method, your base cut is 3” by 5.5” with geese pieces cut at 3” square. Specialty rulers will tell you how to cut your fabric. So, you will make two different color combinations of geese. See the first 2 pictures. And all geese will be 3” x 5-1/2” unfinished. I apologize or not having the usual step-by-step for making geese – don’t know what happened to my pictures. I probably didn’t make them because I certainly can’t find them! But if you are unsure, Google will tell you.  Google knows all. However, when you make the second part of today’s blocks, you will see how a snowballed block is just like a geese block. Same basic method.

From A and B make 4 flying geese, and from A and C make 4 geese as shown in the first 2 pictures.
Now, Cut 8 squares of A at 5-1/2” square. Cut 16 squares of C at 3” square. You will snowball these 8 large 5-1/2” squares. I usually give my 3” pieces a hit of spray starch or Best Press. (Did you know that buying those big gallon jugs of liquid starch and a spray bottle will make a great inexpensive starch? Mix the liquid starch and water, I cup of each, and gently mix. Mix again next time you pick up the spray bottle.)

Press the C pieces into a triangle or mark a diagonal line corner to corner on the back side of your C pieces. Your choice of how you do this. I like to press them because it makes a perfect snowball (or geese), and I will show you how.

If you press a line in your fabric, it is easiest to make sure it all lines up correctly. Place the pressed triangle right sides up on the A square. See the pix where the sides don’t match perfectly? This way, is you are a bit off on the cut or the press, your block will still be perfect and you won’t have an un-square block. Make sure this imperfect side of the triangle is placed against the A fabric. Make sure the corners match. Then gently pull up the top of the C fabric, holding it in place; move the pieces under the needle; then sew just a thread away from your crease – sewing on the side of the crease toward the corner.. Lift the top of the C fabric and remove the unwanted pieces of A and C
Last part for today -- gather together to HSTs you made last week. In addition to these HST blocks, you will cut 8 pieces of B at 3” square, 4 pieces of A at 3” square, and 12 pieces of C at 3” square. Looking at the picture, assemble a 4 patch and sew together. You will have 8 of the B-C and 4 of the A-C measuring 5-1/2" square.

Next week we will cut into that beautiful piece of D you have been waiting to use, and will be finishing the runner.

I’ll be back in a couple hours. Have fun!
Attached Thumbnails week-3-.jpg   week-3-b.jpg   week-4-f.jpg   week-3-e.jpg   week-3-d.jpg  

week-3-c.jpg  
Old 09-23-2017, 06:51 AM

You might want to check the label on the starch... I believe it needs refrigerated after mixing or it will spoil. Not sure what brand I used but it soured and molded. I now use only Mary Ellen's "Best Press" starch alternative. No scorching, caking or flaking and it smells so good! Yes, its a bit pricey but I buy it when its on sale or with a coupon. I consider it one of my "be good to me" treats! lol

OK, about this week's Flying Geese. None of my Geese rulers will work for odd sizes. They either make the geese in even or in uneven sizes. I mean they use fabrics like 3 x 6 or 3 1/2 x 6 1/2, not a combination. I had the same problem with my HST last week. My ruler calls for half inch increments and we needed even increments. Will go print off the instructions and see what I read wrong or where I need to go from there. (Perhaps that is what was meant about something being off a smidgen?) This should keep me out of trouble for awhile! LOL

Last edited by Just Jan; 09-23-2017 at 07:00 AM.