Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
17th Mystery Quilt Train Ride Sept. 9, 2017 >

17th Mystery Quilt Train Ride Sept. 9, 2017

17th Mystery Quilt Train Ride Sept. 9, 2017

Old 09-23-2017, 02:32 PM

ooooo Karen - love love love the blocks you created. Like they say, when life gives you lemon or scraps, make .....
Your fabrics look so great together.

And yup, should have called those blocks "houses" - would have been less confusing. Will remember that, and give credit if I use them again.
Old 09-23-2017, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by frustratedquilter40 View Post
Chazzz I love your blues can not wait to see it all together!!
Originally Posted by Chasezzz View Post
Thanks for the good words on my "blues"! Just felt like sewing today and...there was the new clue. The pictures were very helpful. Today's work created a lot of leftovers from the FG and the pieces I call the "houses" . So before I cut off the triangles I sewed again a half inch away from the correct sew line and created a bunch of HSTs that I squared to 2". I need two small projects for a meeting Tuesday, so these will be made into mug rugs by then.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]581063[/ATTACH]
I just love these! I was wondering what to do with all of these pieces. What a great idea to sew the seam before cutting. I will have to remember this trick, thanks for posting your picture:-)
Old 09-23-2017, 03:41 PM

I finished today's clue on the first set of fabrics. There was a lot of ripping and cutting going on, so I think I will leave the other set of fabrics for another time. I did learn a good lesson on the choice of patterns, I will not use plaids anymore. They show every little oops and on top of that, I think that the pattern was not originally printed straight on the material.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]581071[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 20170923_182940-800x600.jpg  
Old 09-23-2017, 04:19 PM

Theresa/tcweaver these look great, good job. The grey mottle and the black print are beautiful.
Old 09-23-2017, 04:35 PM
Power Poster

tsc, we've all had to rip seams lots of times. I don't care how long ya been quilting. lol. Chasezzz Those are so pretty. They will make nice mug rugs or pot holders or zip bags,
Old 09-23-2017, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by tscweaves View Post
I finished today's clue on the first set of fabrics. There was a lot of ripping and cutting going on, so I think I will leave the other set of fabrics for another time. I did learn a good lesson on the choice of patterns, I will not use plaids anymore. They show every little oops and on top of that, I think that the pattern was not originally printed straight on the material.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]581071[/ATTACH]
Ok, your proclaimed mentor disagrees with your "lesson learned." Wait until you are done and then decide. I never worry about plaid or weaves going any particular direction in quilt blocks. It usually doesn't matter when the item is complete. Just gives it a scrappy/random look. I think if you had chosen a solid gray for this, instead of the gray weave, it would be boring! I like it as it is! Lets see if you change your mind when this runner is complete! Oh, now I will say, if you planned to use the checked fabric for a border then that would look better if it was straight. But in your blocks its lovely as it is.

The gremlins were here and took my HST from last week to play with. Pesky little varmints! I finally found them under some other fabric in my sewing room. I've cut one complete set so far. Wanted to sew one set to be sure they are right before I make my second set. After finding the HST, I'm now in the process of making the "arrow" or 4-patch blocks. Have everything cut, but still need to make my "geese" and "house" blocks. Will try to finish them and post a picture later tonight or tomorrow.
Old 09-24-2017, 07:46 AM

Finished my first set this morning. Sunglasses needed! Will probably make the second set in a few days. These sure need that fourth fabric to bring the colors together! Looking forward to the next clue.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]581085[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]581086[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails sam_0416.jpg   sam_0439.jpg  
Old 09-24-2017, 08:34 AM

Love love love your fabrics, Jan! Beautiful. No sunglasses needed, it is a ray of sunshine. LOL
Old 09-24-2017, 08:47 AM

Jan, I love your fabrics, especially the swirl one! Can't wait to see it all together.
Old 09-24-2017, 09:00 AM
Power Poster

Jan love your blocks too. Karen what a pretty quilt in your avatar. Gonna try and work on my blocks today.