Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
18th Mystery Quilt Train Ride >

18th Mystery Quilt Train Ride

18th Mystery Quilt Train Ride

Old 02-06-2018, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Donnamarie View Post
I have tons of scraps and want to start the mystery quilt but where do you get the directions? I've searched and can't find them
Go to Post #111 for the first clue which was posted Saturday Morning. Then look for the next clues every Saturday morning until the quilt top is finished. I hope that helps.
Old 02-06-2018, 04:52 PM

Watson, your black is perfect!!! Love the look of this.

oh peewa I wish I had your drive to keep up with the scraps. With all I have cut, I still had one of those legal cardboard file boxes stuffed full of assorted scrapes. And that box never seems to go down at all! Bad judy! Good peewa!
Old 02-06-2018, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Siodach View Post
Hey slow the train til I get on!! Nearly missed it. I've had to time-travel for a week to get to the next station lol.

I've got a fabby set of Judy Niemeyer charms, 100 darks and medium darks, that I'm gonna use for the 4-patches, and I'm hoping that there'll be more 2.5 inch squares in our future so I can keep using these fabrics throughout.

Also have batiks charms in dark green and dark brown that I may use for my constant, a lovely gift from a dear friend, and about time I used them lol.

For the sweet-toothed I have put some Scottish tablet in the caboose - if I'd caught the train last week you could have joined me in haggis, neeps and tattles for Burns Supper!

Clickety-clack, clickety-clack, clickety-clack..........

To let you and others know, you are done with the 2.5" squares so don't over cut at this time. Glad you caught the train, I wondered where you were hiding.
Old 02-06-2018, 05:14 PM
Suz

I have a question. For 7-1/2 years I was involved with QOVs and have found a small collection of 4 patches in navys/turkey reds/tan prints from these projects. I also have 4 patches in just navy/red. There is a lot of variety in within these colors. Could these be used for these 4 patches or should I put some of them aside the introduce more colors? Just trying to use the units that are already made, however, I also have a collection of scraps like many of you. Opinions please. -- Also, this is my first mystery quilt.
Old 02-06-2018, 05:15 PM

Thank you, Judy! I'll put the 2 1/2 squares away toward a scrappy pattern I was saving them for. Very cool! Excited about next clue and praying that it is not a gazillion flying geese...lol!

Watson....love the black background. I debated doing this too but thought, since this is my first mystery, I'll take advantage of Judy's creativity since I don't trust my own yet...ha!

welcome Suz!!

Last edited by Teen; 02-06-2018 at 05:17 PM.
Old 02-06-2018, 06:29 PM
Power Poster

Has anyone else done this?
I am sewing away and realize that even though the blocks are only 2.5 inches I don't like some of the fabrics! At first I thought it wouldn't matter but I changed my mind. I'm not going to use the uglies. Nope!
Old 02-06-2018, 06:50 PM

Lol...yes, I threw out the truly uglies....but these are scraps that I've spent time with in their original form eons ago and I'm sick of them anyway. Lol.. After spending a week or so while making a quilt, the fabric loses its allure to me. I think I'm turning into a fabric snob.
Old 02-06-2018, 07:30 PM
Power Poster

Teen, that's precisely why I don't save scraps! By the time I'm done with a project I'm usually sick to death of the fabrics! lol
Old 02-06-2018, 07:38 PM

Oh good...I'm not the only one who experiences this. Phew! I usually make a donation quilt with the scrap fabrics if enough following the 1st quilt. Sometimes, I just can't face it, though. Lol..especially, if fabrics colors are not colorful and bright, which I prefer. See? I'm a snob..
Old 02-06-2018, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by paintmejudy View Post
Watson, your black is perfect!!! Love the look of this.
A very kind QB member suggested it to me.

Watson