Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
18th Mystery Quilt Train Ride >

18th Mystery Quilt Train Ride

18th Mystery Quilt Train Ride

Old 02-11-2018, 08:22 AM

I'm sorry to be a train jumper or party pooper, but after sewing about 3/4 of the 4-patches I need, I'm just not liking most of my 2.5" scraps. Too dull. I find myself reaching for the brights, the happy prints, but coming up with too many browns, muddy fall colors, or calicos that do nothing for me.

I can't justify spending more time on this project. I think if I liked all my candies, it'd be a joy to continue (minus the QST making, LOL). So, lesson learned for me: don't save scraps that I don't like just because. I don't care HOW small I cut 'em, they're still blah.

I'm curious about the next mystery, though. I have charm squares already cut in my stash--bright, happy prints.

But before I disembark, I wanted to let you all know I've enjoyed the club car treats immensely, and am leaving a dozen assorted donuts and some Guatemalan coffee brewed right here in Baltimore.
Old 02-11-2018, 08:28 AM
Power Poster

Zozee- that's why I don't keep fabrics I don't like. Too many nice ones to worry about the uglies
Old 02-11-2018, 09:32 AM

got to spend some quality time with my seam ripper. I sewed the solid/neutral triangles and started on the solid/constant. Then I decided I'd rather sew with the constant to the bottom, but did not rotate my triangles. So when I went to press, discovered I had sewed them so that the solid was on the wrong side for one set.

Got them all unsewn and ready to have another go at it. At least there were only 48 of them!
Old 02-11-2018, 10:10 AM

I thought I had it, but I don't think I do....

I've got my neutral QST's cut and my contrast QST's cut (turquoise) but are the coloured QST's supposed to be dark and/or solids? You aren't supposed to use the fabrics you've already used for your 4 patches?
I'm a bit confused and I also don't have a lot of darks/solids.

Watson
Old 02-11-2018, 10:11 AM
Power Poster

Karen I'm excited for you and your move. I sure don't like moving. I been here in the sticks on this farm now for 38 yrs and I'm not moving again. Judy you know me, I hated hst's till I learned from you how to over cut them sew them ,then cut them to size. I will look for the next train with a smile. Thanks Judy.
Old 02-11-2018, 10:17 AM

zozee we will miss you, sorry you are unhappy with your squares. Please look for us mid to late March for the next one, to give everyone to finish this mystery and maybe even some of their UFOs before we go again!.
Macy don't feel bad, I did the same thing. I hate doing the froggy dance.

Watson you can use what you want for the QST pieces. I just chose to use solids because I had a lot of those scraps, but you do not have to follow my suggestions. Your quilt, your choices, use whatever fabrics you have. Do what makes you happy!

Mary yup, overcutting for me if about the only way to go. But now I have a ruler that I bought for the BH mystery last year, and I am liking this new tool. But for small HST, overcutting to me is the only way go.
Old 02-11-2018, 10:29 AM
Suz

This is how I make QST. Think "swastika" (hate the word and it meaning). Draw lines diagonally on one 6" square and then match to a second square. Stitch 1/4" to the right of a line to the cross line. Stop at the cross line, turn, take about 4 stitches on the line to the next or outside line that would complete the "X", turn and stitch 1/4" to the end. Do this again on the other part of the "X". When you look at the center, it will resemble the "ugly" word. Now, cut on the drawn lines. You will have four identical QST. Press to the dark. Mix these with others and once stitched, square to 4-1/2"

Sorry, I have still not learned to post pixs. The nice think about this technique is that you do not have to deal with the bias. And if you want four identicals pointing in the opposite direction, then start the original stitching to th left of the drawn line. ---- Hope my description is clear and helps with the frustration issue encountered w/bias edges and stretching. ----- I'll try to answer any questions.
Old 02-11-2018, 10:29 AM

yes yes yes to the scrappy monotone HSTs
thank you so much for all this fun Judy.
Old 02-11-2018, 10:43 AM

Suz sounds interesting but cannot wrap my brain around this. If anyone knows this method, could you make a sketch of what to do and post it?

BettyB woo hoo, and thank you!But it doesn't not have to be monotone, I hjust had a lot of gray to dark almost black

Klaws hope the move goes smoothly

Last edited by paintmejudy; 02-11-2018 at 10:46 AM.
Old 02-11-2018, 11:31 AM

Just changed the blade in my rotary cutter. Sure makes a big difference!