19th Mystery Quilt Train Ride

19th Mystery Quilt Train Ride

Old 05-04-2018, 05:39 PM
Power Poster

Whitepine beautiful rainbow colors.
Old 05-05-2018, 06:27 AM

Yay for clue day!
Old 05-05-2018, 07:00 AM

Are you all ready and chomping at the bit? Only a bit more sewing to do and then on to the finish line. But I know you guys, you all will look at the pictures instead of working along on the finishing blocks. Oh well, I would do the same. LOL

Do the rest of the snowball corners on the 4-1/2” block you made in week 2, using the medium and light 2-1/2” squares you cut on week 3. This is where you need to look at your pinwheel blocks. I make my pinwheels identical. When I put the light and dark pieces to snowball the other half of the 4-1/2”” block from week 2, the light from the pinwheel and light from the snowball will fall together, as will the mediums of the pinwheel and snowball. If you made you pinwheels to orient a different way, just watch the way you place the bottom snowballed areas. The photo shows how the lights will match up, and the mediums will match up. Or if you don’t want them to match up, do however you’d like to have them be placed.

Now, gather the 36 medium/background HSTs and the 36 dark/background squares – these are the 2-1/2” squares you made on week 3. I apologize that I forgot to take a photo of these two segments but you can see how they end up in the picture. There is an error in the drawing - I labeled the HST as light and it is medium. All 36 of these 4-1/2” square blocks must look the same. The drawing is in case you are not sure of what I need you to do. Make 36 of these units. I pressed the seam open. Then sew this new unit to the unit previously made. I also pressed open these seams on the 2-1/2” by 4-1/2” section.

Sew this unit with the unit made last week from the dark/background fabrics as shown in the drawing. I also pressed open this seam, to eliminate a lot of bulk where that middle spot came together.

Look at the picture that shows the layout of the block. You will make 9 blocks like this, if you made what this pattern called for, and then lay them out in three rows of three blocks in each row. I love the way the dark HSTs form a scrappy box around the pinwheels.

Add sash and border of your choice.

I had planned on doing this as a square table topper for my daughter. She picked out the yellow and chose the gray and blacks from my scrap. I was going to do a fancy border to finish it off. But she came over as I was starting to assemble the blocks, and she disliked it. Ok, her loss, a gain for a child at AZBlankets4Kids who will be the winner. I made another 3 blocks and assembled it as you can see, with 3 blocks wide by 4 blocks long and added black sash and gray border.

So, this was my big surprise, the dark of the HSTs to make a visual statement and also become a border for the surprise pinwheel. I hope you are happy with the result. I have to admit that I used a pattern from Quilters Cache, but cannot remember its name. She used two colors, a red and a rose, and a background of a neutral and her colors seemed too close to each other, not exciting enough for my tastes. But figured there would be more drama using 3 colors, the light, medium and dark, with the dark becoming a focal point, and I was happy with the way it turned out.
Hope you like your project, and would love to hear both positive and negative comments. Can’t wait to see how your topper or runner or quilt will turn out. I’ll be back in a little while to see how things are looking.
Attached Thumbnails week-4-.jpg   week-4-b.jpg   week-4-c.jpg   week-4-d.jpg   week-4-e.jpg  

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 05-10-2018 at 11:57 AM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps
Old 05-05-2018, 07:08 AM

Wow!

seeing the end result is getting me motivated to get working on it!

Thank you Judy!
Old 05-05-2018, 07:29 AM

Ditto, wow! What fun! I'm definitely going to lay this out before stitching begins and before my brain turns into a pinwheel. This will be so much fun to work on.
Old 05-05-2018, 07:42 AM

Awesome! I love the diagonal look to it without needing to make the side and setting triangles! Another winner, Judy!

I can’t wait to get started but I need to get a few tasks done first.
Old 05-05-2018, 07:53 AM

Macy and whitepine - thank you

retired - that is what attracted me to this block, so much easier to do than setting on point, with almost the same result.
Old 05-05-2018, 08:42 AM

Love it! Mine is also in grays and yellow. Can't wait to finish this project. Thank you for another great train ride!!
Old 05-05-2018, 08:46 AM

What a cool pattern! My fabric choices didn't pan out well, so I stopped after week 2, but this looks like such fun that I think I'll finish and see what it looks like. Thanks, Judy!
Old 05-05-2018, 08:55 AM
Power Poster

Wow Judy !!!! you did it again. Sooo pretty. I love it. I'm gonna do my runner then do a small quilt. Yours is just gorgeous. I love the colors.