Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 27 of 112 FirstFirst ... 17 26 27 28 37 77 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012-2013 Dear Jane Stickle 2d Cyber Party Pictures and Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Fabric Galore View Post
    I finally went to the glass shop and I got my triangle cut from plexiglass. I notice that the blocks I paper pieced are larger than the blocks I made with templates. I used my 1/4" foot and was very careful with the seam allowance but I still had to remake about 5 of my blocks.
    They are all do pretty together. I just love them. Good work!!
    SheriR~

~If you can't turn the corners of your mouth up...let the middle sag!~

"Be not afraid, only believe."

Fabric Galore, What a great bunch of blocks. Love all the colors that you have used. Great job.
    A home is built of peace and love,
    and not of wood and stone,
    a place where happiness lives
    and memories are sewn.

Blog Entries
    Fabric Galore, i'm so glad to hear that you got your ruler... bummer about having to remake the tris . your blocks look great
    I was thinking, too, of adding the sashings as I go along, but just haven't gotten to it.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Love your blocks Losie. Great to see a few weeks together. Everybody has beautiful blocks. Look forward to viewing each day.
    What I make with my hands, I give with my heart.

Blog Entries

Wk 8 - A7, A9, A11

A7 - Back Basting Needle Turn Applique. A new technique for me. The fabric really does want to turn on the line! I didn't think it was true...melons getting better.

A9 - Paper Pieced

A11 - English Paper Pieced.
    What worked: Jeana Kimball's Foxglove Cottage size 11 Straw needle and Superior Threads Bottom Line 60wt polyester thread (both new for me but small gauge needle and fine strong thread worked great for EPP!
    I made the block without the additional border...figured more than one of my blocks may need a border when this goes together so I will address it then.

Great blocks all. Very inspiring.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Fraew; 03-07-2012 at 11:28 AM.
    Fraew

"I don't buy vintage quilts. By the time I finish the quilts I've started they've already become antiques." ~ Mark Lipinski
    Link to my albums: http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...85-albums.html

Quote Originally Posted by Fraew View Post
    A7 - Back Basting Needle Turn Applique. A new technique for me. The fabric really does want to turn on the line! I didn't think it was true...melons getting better.

A9 - Paper Pieced

A11 - English Paper Pieced.
    What worked: Jeana Kimball's Foxglove Cottage size 11 Straw needle and Superior Threads Bottom Line 60wt polyester thread (both new for me but small gauge needle and fine strong thread worked great for EPP!
    I made the block without the additional border...figured more than one of my blocks may need a border when this goes together so I will address it then.

Great blocks all. Very inspiring.
    Once again, perfect, beautiful blocks...are you sure you don't want to do mine too??? =D
    SheriR~

~If you can't turn the corners of your mouth up...let the middle sag!~

"Be not afraid, only believe."

Great blocks FabricGalore!

Fraew, beautiful colors and beautiful blocks!
    Eat, quilt, sleep, repeat

Blog Entries
    Thank you for all of your compliments on my work. Fraew, I love your blocks and your colors.

Great work everyone! Such a beautiful array of blocks/fabrics.
    I'm hoping I can post my picture of what I've done so far. I'm adamant about using the stash I have on hand & perhaps buying only wee bits if necessary. I'm trying to follow the colours/scheme in the book. I'm not fond of using all the brown tones but I'm not changing my mind now!

Thanks for looking,
    Maureen

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the compliments!

@SheriR: I'll do your pink and choc ones! Kudos to everyone doing more than one of these. The further along I get the more I think...nope, not doing that again.
    Fraew

"I don't buy vintage quilts. By the time I finish the quilts I've started they've already become antiques." ~ Mark Lipinski
    Link to my albums: http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...85-albums.html

Blog Entries
    your blocks are lovely ladies. when i did my blocks, i machine basted the block # to the RB of each sq. stayed good, and was easily removed when i was ready to set the blocks.

Blog Entries
    thanks sewNso for the tip.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Blog Entries
    xsquilter I like your blocks. Are you using the same light background fabric in all you blocks. I am using different light background colors and I am not happy with them. If I want to make a change I have to do it now.

memere..
    I have been thinking the same thing about mine...
    Several years ago I bought lots of Civ War fabrics for another Civil War Medallion quilt [that I have yet to begin] I think I have enough fabric for 3 or 4 different quilts. When I decided to do a Dear Jane I figured I should use those fabrics [although the Kaffe Fasset version on greenfairyquilts blog keeps pulling at me!!] Any rate - My first three blocks, which I posted way near the beginning, are very drab. They look like the lights were dropped into black coffee! I started this way because my dear historian friend pointed out that Civil War quilts were drab. I wasn't sure if I liked it and didnt quite understand why many if not most of the fabrics of "civil war reproductions' were not drab at all, in fact they were quite bright and cheery. So I did some research of my own and found that women used all their left overs during the Civil War and the fabrics sold just prior were very bright. Therefore quilts from that time period are very scrappy and pretty bright. Although most of the quilts you do find have prints offset with muslin so the background is pretty constant, I did vary my backgrounds as well - and I used lots of light and drab prints. Check out my posts on #605 and particularly #606. The first triangle there has that drab light. I'm not sure they look that great together either. But I figure it will just add to the scrappiness and once I have 255 of these babies [eeeek!] they will be scattered around and it won't matter. The sashing we put in between will be constant and that will tie it all together. [at least this is what I hope for both of us!!!]

OMG!! every time I look at my posts - they go on forever and ever......... sorry [I don't 'talk' that much in person!]

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cre8tvlwyr View Post
    OMG!! every time I look at my posts - they go on forever and ever......... sorry [I don't 'talk' that much in person!]
    Gus, I think we should feel flattered that you do chat that much... one tends to chat more with friends, so I take that to mean that you think of us as friends
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK

Blog Entries
    Cre8tvlwyr, I want to thank you for your reply. I have been collecting Civil War fabrics for a while, so they will be used in my DJ quilt. During the last 2 years I have completed about 15 blocks. One day I will post them. Making them during my free time. I am attempting to complete my goal - make our 8 adult Grandkids plus 1 GreatGrandDaughter (6yrs) each a quilt. So time is precious right now.

Memere, I made my first 9 quilts for my daughter, my son, and my 7 grandchildren. Then I made a 9-block crazy quilt with scraps from each quilt and embroidered their names and the year their quilt was finished in each block. The crazy quilt is hanging on my wall.

hey! don't you worry!! i enjoy reading your post's... no matter how long they are! they make for great reading!! lol...
    and i'm pretty sure everyone else will agree with me
    Quote Originally Posted by Cre8tvlwyr View Post
    Jacquie xxxxx

Quilters aren't greedy, they're just materialistic.

"Don't be pushed by your problems, be led by your dreams."
    -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Me too...I love reading all the posts....the long & short of it!
    memereof8-yes, I'm using the same cream coloured fabric throughout wherever it's called for. I hope I don't get caught not having enough! I'm really, really, trying to stick with my plans of using stash on hand.
    Maureen

I guess I should post something once in a while!

Here are some blocks from before the break

Name:  b-12-g.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  14.2 KB b-12 Name:  a-3-g.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  11.6 KB a-3

and the tri-s

Name:  br-1-g.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  9.5 KB br-1 Name:  tr-1-g.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  9.3 KB tr-1 Name:  tr-3-g.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  9.3 KB tr-3

The tri-s are wonkier than I'd like - they are EPP (English paper pieced) so I can't
    trim them - but I think they'll be better once they're whip stitched to the solid
    triangles.

The triangles are not really smaller than my blocks, that's just the way they
    were saved.
    Attached Images Attached Images

oops - I guess this weeks blocks got posted in the above message. Those are a-7, a-9, and a-11.

I'm a bit behind since I caved in and started a second set of blocks. These will be all blues -
    and many will feature fussy cuts!

Name:  a-7-b.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  16.8 KB a-7 Name:  a-9-b.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  13.8 KB a-9 Name:  a-11-b.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  11.9 KB a-11

Hi everyone! I have a big smile on my face from seeing all the blocks and reading all of your posts - the longs and the shorts - LOL! The blocks are gorgeous!

Life is in the way of me sewing. After 3 years our house finally has a "sold" sign in the front yard. I am busy packing up a 4 bedroom, 5 garage-stall house that I have lived in for 22+ years. Needless to say, there is a lot of "stuff". I will not being sewing on my DJ until we are in a new house and my machines and fabric are unpacked. I'm abandoning most of the furniture but none of my machines or fabric! :-) I am so glad to be a part of your group! I'll defin3tely play catch up when I'm all settled.

Blog Entries
    I finished the Week 7 blocks last night. The center top row was machine applique. The other top ones were hand applique. The center row were done with my new skill of paper piecing On the bottom row, the points sections were paper pieced and the remainder of the block was standard pieced. When downloading the pics from the camera, the photo software was confused about the red and white A9.. it was trying to autofix the red eyes
    Name:  Week 7  Mar 4  A7 A9 A11.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  103.4 KB
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK

Blog Entries
    You ladies are doing such great work. Haven't got to this one yet still working on those ufos. I have 20 out of 130 done so will keep tredging forward. yes, this is one on my list and I have all the fabrics ready, just no time yet.
    Life is short, live it while you still can. QuilterMomma

Page 27 of 112 FirstFirst ... 17 26 27 28 37 77 ... LastLast