Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 26 of 112 FirstFirst ... 16 25 26 27 36 76 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012-2013 Dear Jane Stickle 2d Cyber Party Pictures and Discussion

Well, it is only 3 hours from being Sunday, and since I just got the pictures onto the computer, I figure that I had better post them, before I forget how. I am so enjoying all the beautiful blocks that are being shown, and so far, I have been able to keep up, but am afraid that I may slip behind, because I am doing QAYG, and by hand, which is time consuming for me, because I have NEVER hand quilted before. But, I am having fun with it, and can already see improvements on my stitches. I love that I can finally do some hand sewing and watch a little TV at the same time.

Name:  2012-March 3-DJ block A7.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  1.07 MB
    I didn't have a single plaid in my house, so I went with stripes, and really like the look of it.

Name:  2012-March 3-DJ block A9.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  996.5 KB
    This is not the best, but it looks close, so am happy with it.

Name:  2012-March 3-DJ block A11.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  1.09 MB
    This one really has a wonky look to it, but I decided that wonky is good. And I figure once they all come together, there will be competition for wonky, and I want all of them to have a fighting chance. lol
    Last edited by spartan quilter; 03-03-2012 at 07:30 PM.
    A home is built of peace and love,
    and not of wood and stone,
    a place where happiness lives
    and memories are sewn.

Blog Entries
    @ Spartan: I like your colors and yes LOL at your wonky comment. This is really the best group ever!

I haven't started the blocks yet either. I have been consumed with UFO fever.
    Fraew

"I don't buy vintage quilts. By the time I finish the quilts I've started they've already become antiques." ~ Mark Lipinski
    Link to my albums: http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...85-albums.html

Blog Entries
    This is all I have so far. I've been spending a lot of time this week learning paper piecing. So here are the pp'd ones including the one where I got the colors wrong.
    Name:  2012 03 04_0002_edited-1.JPG
Views: 250
Size:  205.7 KB
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T – is it True? H – is it Helpful? I – is it Inspiring? N – is it Necessary? K – is it Kind?

DJ Blocks - Week 8

Here are my Week 8 blocks. I didn't notice til I took the picture that my original A-11 doesn't have a border. Apparently I used the variation that was on the CD. I like the new one better.

SpartanQuilter, this will be my first handstitching, too. Your's is beautiful and I love your bright colors. I'm waiting til I can put a few blocks together before I start so I can stitch some of the sashing, batting, and back at the same time.

QuiltnNan, you're already a pro at paperpiecing. Have you caught the pp bug?
    Name:  DJ - Week8.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  68.3 KB

Nancy - your paper piecing is perfect!! ...what time did you go to sleep this morning?? a 3:47am post - blocks are awesome!
    yours too - Spartan - I really like the looks of the stripe. I'm hoping to start QAYG sometime soon. It would being 'done' come a lot sooner You will not 'slip behind because you will always be ahead!! looking at your A9, I would add a strip of light to the top so you don't lose the points - pinch them in just a little bit [the left corner point at the seamline and the top middle point] it looks like you have enough seam at the bottom so you can adjust it by taking more from the bottom when you put it all together. I shift things around a bit myself too.

There's a real pretty sheen on the stitches - what kind of thread are you using??

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cre8tvlwyr View Post
    Nancy - your paper piecing is perfect!! ...what time did you go to sleep this morning?? a 3:47am post - blocks are awesome! ...
    Gus, That is my wake-up time. It was 5:47am here in MN.
    katybob, [and gus] thanks for the kind comments. I don't think I've caught the bug, but I am happy to know a different technique to be able to make some more difficult blocks and to make the blocks with fine points and pretty/cute pictures.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 03-04-2012 at 09:44 AM.
    Nancy in western NY
    T – is it True? H – is it Helpful? I – is it Inspiring? N – is it Necessary? K – is it Kind?

Katybob - love your blocks!! You posted while I was in the middle to typing [in between having breakfast] my last post so I didnt see it before. Your corners look perfect and it looks like you did the Y-seam YAY I also noticed your A7 seem to be a little narrower than the pattern and closer to Jane's original. I used the book pattern and think it is a little fat - I prefer yours and Janes!!

Lee--- beautiful blocks! They should look wonderful all together.
    Linda
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Quote Originally Posted by Cre8tvlwyr View Post
    Nancy - your paper piecing is perfect!! ...what time did you go to sleep this morning?? a 3:47am post - blocks are awesome!
    yours too - Spartan - I really like the looks of the stripe. I'm hoping to start QAYG sometime soon. It would being 'done' come a lot sooner You will not 'slip behind because you will always be ahead!! looking at your A9, I would add a strip of light to the top so you don't lose the points - pinch them in just a little bit [the left corner point at the seamline and the top middle point] it looks like you have enough seam at the bottom so you can adjust it by taking more from the bottom when you put it all together. I shift things around a bit myself too.

There's a real pretty sheen on the stitches - what kind of thread are you using??
    Thanks for pointing out the error on that block. I hadn't even noticed, and yes, I will add a strip of white there. For the quilting, I am using a metallic thread, thus the name for my quilt is Glitzy DJ. I have a dark gold, light gold, aqua, purple, blue and rose, so I am using what ever looks best with the material. But, a lot of gold.
    Actually, I am ahead on my blocks, almost got blocks done up to the next break. But one of these days, my new sewing room will be completed, and then I have to move stuff back in, and get things set up, so that will slow me down. I have almost all of the first row put together, and I am so impressed with it.

Thank you so much, Cre8tvlwyr, for starting this thread.

and memories are sewn.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Anael View Post
    Gladys, happy belated birthday! I hope you had a great day and will hear from the Dear Jane site about your CD. Some great gifts! The EQ software is quite expensive, I have EQ5 but don't use it enough to upgrade to 7.
    Thank you very much, Anael!
    A big hug!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TymeToShine View Post
    .... Gladys! Happy birthday and so glad you got the EQ7. I got one and have a blast playing with it. Have started a quilt that I designed in it and it is a special feeling to know it is kind of "your own" design. It is also great for trying different fabrics in to see how you want to use your colors. Things that sounded good in my mind's eye...did not look as good on EQ and that was a great time saver to be able to look before sewing. My DMIL passed away last March and we kept her cotton shirts to make 2 quilts out of...one for my husband and one for his brother. I have used the EQ to design a quilt for each of them...they both wanted 2 totally different looks and it was great to be able to show them what it will look like. I am eager to get started on those quilts...but am waiting for my sewing room to get finished. We moved into a new house last June and I will be getting the bonus room upstairs which was unfinished when we bought the house. After 40 years of sewing on the kitchen table this will be a real treat! Have run into many delays in getting the room finished so for now a lot of my sewing stuff is in boxes and stuffed into closets here and there. But I do have access to my sewing machine until I get my room. I hope you house repairs are coming along well. You can learn EQ while you wait!I don't know how well you can follow a book written in english, but the book by Patti Anderson EQ6 pieced drawing which the EQ site had on sale has been a great help to me in learning how to use all the functions to draw blocks. I also got the book by her for applique drawing and they both really help. There are lots of pictures of what you are supposed to see on your screen in the book so it might be a good book to get.
    Linda, Thank you very much!
    I really appreciate this advice!
    I will try to see to locate the book you recommended me!
    My English is almost null. The translator, helps me so that the book will be difficult.
    But if there are photos and diagrams, I can follow them. In addition it is to "trial and error", truth?
    Like everything else in life! Hahaha!
    I know the order of EQ7 is already underway, only 20 days remaining!
    Dear Jean site I have news, I'll wait news!
    And also to see each of your work give me more desire that my works will end soon, but still lack a long month!
    Then I have run far to reach them!
    It is a pleasure to deal with each person in this group!
    They have a great week!
    A strong hug!

Blog Entries
    This week your blocks and colors are amazing!
    Congrats, Ladies!
    Have a nice week!
    A big hug!

What a great show of beautiful quilt blocks! I have to find mine and post a pic!
    Eat, quilt, sleep, repeat

Here are my blocks of this week.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spartan Quilter - FUN fabrics!! Love the stripes.

QuiltnNan - I can't believe you're just learning to pp. They look perfect! I didn't even notice where you got the colors "wrong." Beautiful.

Name:  A-9 Cabin Fever.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  213.4 KBI know my seam allowance is a little short on that bottom edge. I'll watch that when I start assembling the rows. This one took a long time but I was sure glad to have the thinner thread in the machine with those tiny seams. I've prepped the applique block and will work on it while I watch t.v. after work this week. Love everyone else's blocks from this week.

Here's my blocks for this week. I think I'm going to redo my A11 its a bit wonky after I figured out how to do it. Did not do Y seams.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    CindyA and echoemb, your blocks look great.
    echoemb, is that reverse applique? did you trim back the seam allowances or sew them at that depth? they look so narrow.
    Nancy in western NY

yes, it is reverse, probably the first one I did. I trimmed them after I sewed them. I'm still not happy with that one as my other ones are getting better as I've never done reverse applique before.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by echoemb View Post
    yes, it is reverse, probably the first one I did. I trimmed them after I sewed them. I'm still not happy with that one as my other ones are getting better as I've never done reverse applique before.
    thanks for the reply. this is another technique i'll have to learn, i guess. but not this time
    Nancy in western NY

Week 8

Posting my blocks for this week.Name:  IMG_1589.JPG
Views: 223
Size:  272.7 KB
    What I make with my hands, I give with my heart.

CindyA~~Love the graduating colors in your blocks. That is an awesome idea, I may borrow it.

echoemb~~great job on your blocks, and the reverse applique, looks great

aneal~~love your colors, especially the A9

ann clare~~just love the boldness of your blocks, especially the A9

And to any I missed, a lot I am sure, I am just loving all the colors that are being used, can't wait to see all the finished tops. Wow, it will be awesome.

and memories are sewn.

Yaaaaaay for me! I did 3 blocks today.....so where does that put me? about 5 wks behind?! No matter, I'm now getting into the swing of it. I was too tuckered out to post pictures but I will try tomorrow.
    Everyone is doing great work here. I love all the variations.....isn't it just great eye candy?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Maureen

Lovely blocks ann clare, I love the batiks you used!

xsquilter, congrats on the 3 blocks Looking forward to pictures!

Blog Entries

I finished the first 6 weeks

I finally went to the glass shop and I got my triangle cut from plexiglass. I notice that the blocks I paper pieced are larger than the blocks I made with templates. I used my 1/4" foot and was very careful with the seam allowance but I still had to remake about 5 of my blocks.
    This is a picture of Row A:
    Name:  Row A MOPM.JPG
Views: 221
Size:  102.0 KB

This is a picture of my first 6 weeks:
    Name:  6 weeks.JPG
Views: 203
Size:  108.5 KB

This is Row B

Name:  Row B MOPM.JPG
Views: 228
Size:  96.9 KB