Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 16 of 112 FirstFirst ... 6 15 16 17 26 66 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012-2013 Dear Jane Stickle 2d Cyber Party Pictures and Discussion

The first two posts by Patrice in the QB Help Center thread has some really helpful tips for sizing and posting pictures. I'd have been stumped without them.

SheriR, your fabric is just gorgeous. Is B1 black or navy? I'm hoping GV09's circle instructions will work as well for melons. So far, mine really stink.

Quote Originally Posted by Fabric Galore View Post
    jilliane, they have some wonderful tutes on You Tube. I have watched several of them and it really helped.
    Jillaine, pick an easy block and use the freezer paper piecing tutorial on ThatQuilt blog - you'll find a link on the right sidebar. It makes pp so fun. The freezer paper really stabilizes the fabric so even bias edges are easier to work with and there's no tearing off paper in the end. I have used this technique on over 100 DJ blocks and can't imagine doing it any other way.

Quote Originally Posted by katybob View Post
    SheriR, your fabric is just gorgeous. Is B1 black or navy? I'm hoping GV09's circle instructions will work as well for melons. So far, mine really stink.
    Thank you Katy. My A1's main color is indeed black. I started collecting my 1800 prints in September when I saw cre8tiv's thread about starting a DearJane. In December I sorted everything I collect into color stacks. I planned on doing an AroundTheWorld so whatever color fit the number I needed.....that's where it went on my graph. I had 4 black prints....so it was my lucky corner color. I'm pleased with my chart and excited to use my prints. So far mostly cream, navy and green has come up. (I've pulled all my colors until break.)
    SheriR~

~If you can't turn the corners of your mouth up...let the middle sag!~

"Be not afraid, only believe."

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hex nut View Post
    Hello again.

I've been plugging away at my blocks...

A little info on EPP (English Paper Piecing) :

Basically, I print out the block, cut out individual pieces and baste the fabric to these pieces.
    Then they are whip-stitched together.

Attachment 309104 the back of a-6

I use regular Guttermann thread - and a size 12 between needle (I need the smallest
    needle so I only pick up a few threads on the whip stitching)

Traditionally, EPP is used on convex shapes with straight edges (no indents)
    like hexagons and diamonds. This is the first time I've tried with curves.
    The concave curves need to be clipped - but it has worked so far...

Attachment 309109.Attachment 309110 the backs of b-3 and b-1

The blocks are 6cm - so I think the centre blocks will finish about 36 inches.

Attachment 309120 a-6 Attachment 309121 a-8 Attachment 309122 b-4

Attachment 309123 c-1 Attachment 309124 b-13 Attachment 309125 c-3

I believe that the original b-13 was made with a single fussy-cut square -
    so I decided to re-design it since every EPP needs some hexagons
    Fantastic work, your blocks are Beautiful!

Everyone's work looks amazing

Quote Originally Posted by jillaine View Post
    okay and here's week 4 - now I'm caught up.

I have GOT to learn paper piecing! While I can normally teach myself most things, learning paper piecing by book continues to escape me. I keep waiting for our LQS to offer a class in it.

Attachment 309190
    I have been using the PP'ing shown at the "thatquilt" site. No paper to pick out, and I now really enjoy paper piecing.

made b10 just now, so that's me caught up for this week...
    just DON'T talk to me about b10!!! grrrr...
    b2 & b3 i did by 'needle turn'...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jacquie xxxxx

Quilters aren't greedy, they're just materialistic.

"Don't be pushed by your problems, be led by your dreams."
    -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jacquie View Post
    just DON'T talk to me about b10!!! grrrr...
    LMAO!!! I know exactly what you mean! But quess what? It is done, you are caught up and...it looks fabulous!
    Fraew

"I don't buy vintage quilts. By the time I finish the quilts I've started they've already become antiques." ~ Mark Lipinski
    Link to my albums: http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...85-albums.html

Blog Entries
    ha hahahahhahhahhahha ha ha
    Easy block? har har har
    While you were writing this perfectly reasonable advice, I was facing A-9 - "Cabin Fever". This block is what got me to finally break down and learn PP because there was no way in H-E-double-L that I was going to do that by normal piecing.

So I went looking on YouTube and really liked this one:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uaW26igygE

I particularly like that she figured it out herself.

but did I start with an easy block? of course not!

While doing the middle section of A-9, I kept saying to myself (outloud, of course): WHY HAVEN'T I DONE THIS EARLIER??? OMGoodness!! So if anyone has been putting off learning how to do paper piecing, put it off no longer.
    The only thing is that while the center section of A-9 was pretty easy, I followed "thatquilt.blogspot.com" on how to put the larger pieces together, and I had a heck of a time doing the "borders". I ended up NOT being able to paper piece them.

But I'm pretty pleased with the results. Look below.

Oh, and I did use freezer paper. But pulling the paper off was still a pain. I need to review "thatquilt's" paper piecing link (again), especially now that I know how to do general PP.

Thanks for your encouragement!

Quote Originally Posted by Chay View Post
    Jillaine, pick an easy block and use the freezer paper piecing tutorial on ThatQuilt blog - you'll find a link on the right sidebar. It makes pp so fun. The freezer paper really stabilizes the fabric so even bias edges are easier to work with and there's no tearing off paper in the end. I have used this technique on over 100 DJ blocks and can't imagine doing it any other way.
    Name:  dj_jss_a-9.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  143.0 KB
    jillaine

Blog Entries

Feb 5th blocks done!

Doing my best to stay on top of these things, just completed B10 today - had a mess up that I was soooo tempted to let go - but decided to fix it up or it would always haunt me.... on to next weeks blocks!

PJnesler...beautiful blocks! Love the colors and the workmanship
    Linda
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Hexnut, Are you going to be able to use EPP for the blocks with the melons on them, or will you be using applique on those?
    Linda
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Quote Originally Posted by jillaine View Post
    ha hahahahhahhahhahha ha ha
    Easy block? har har har
    While you were writing this perfectly reasonable advice, I was facing A-9 - "Cabin Fever". This block is what got me to finally break down and learn PP because there was no way in H-E-double-L that I was going to do that by normal piecing.

So I went looking on YouTube and really liked this one:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uaW26igygE

I particularly like that she figured it out herself.

but did I start with an easy block? of course not!

While doing the middle section of A-9, I kept saying to myself (outloud, of course): WHY HAVEN'T I DONE THIS EARLIER??? OMGoodness!! So if anyone has been putting off learning how to do paper piecing, put it off no longer.
    The only thing is that while the center section of A-9 was pretty easy, I followed "thatquilt.blogspot.com" on how to put the larger pieces together, and I had a heck of a time doing the "borders". I ended up NOT being able to paper piece them.

But I'm pretty pleased with the results. Look below.

Oh, and I did use freezer paper. But pulling the paper off was still a pain. I need to review "thatquilt's" paper piecing link (again), especially now that I know how to do general PP.

Thanks for your encouragement!

Name:  dj_jss_a-9.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  143.0 KB
    Jillaine, are you sewing freezer paper into the seam? I find that a pain to pull out, also. Have you tried Carol Doak's paper. It's nice to sew on and it pulls out very easily. I had to order it online, couldn't find it at Joanne's or the lqs.

Can't imagine using freezer paper to PP, but then I haven't read the tute. I use a kid's Doodle Pad, put out by Crayola Crayons, cut it from 9x12 down to 8-1/2 x 11. It is very thin, tears very easily(in fact, if your stitch length is too short it just falls off the block), and goes through your printer if you are printing the patterns off the DJ CD. Much cheaper and works just as well as Carol Doak paper. 60 sheets approximately $3.00 at Wally World.
    Just want to compliment everyone on their beautiful block. I am having problems making time for even 3 blocks a week, but I am finished with my 4th block. And I'm retired!

Quote Originally Posted by TymeToShine View Post
    Hexnut, Are you going to be able to use EPP for the blocks with the melons on them, or will you be using applique on those?
    That is the plan .... I may have to tweak some

I've got a-3 done (not scanned yet) I did use a variation with diagonal side seams.

b-12 is basted - I'm just trying to decide the order of stitching. This one I also used
    a variation in which will have seams between the melons, not the one where the
    melons are "floating" on the background.

I did manage to float the circles in b-1 - so it may be possible to float melons as well.
    I needed to use fray-check on the back of b-1, since I had to clip the background very close to the seam.

Today - I'm struggling with tr-1 - with all the vertical seams, it is turning out to be too wide,
    especially at the bottom. I'll either have to narrow a few of the bars, or remove the 2 side triangles
    near the bottom. I'll look at it again tomorrow.

Blog Entries
    Thankyou ozarkmama for the tip on the PP paper you use. I will give it a try!!!!

Here are my blocks for the week. I've been working ahead and when it came time to take pictures of the blocks I realized that I hadn't done B2. Will work on that tonite and hopefully have a decent one to post a picture of.

Blog Entries
    Well, life happened last week so got very little sewing done. Finally finished week 4 this morning. Here are my blocks
    Name:  Week 4 Feb 5.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  104.6 KB
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Blog Entries
    Three at a time? Wow! I'm impressed!
    jillaine

My compliments to all! The blocks you're showing are beautiful! I love reading about the different ways they're made. I use pp for most of the blocks, works fine for me. Curved blocks I just sew, no applique.
    Eat, quilt, sleep, repeat

[QUOTE=QuiltnNan;4951473]Well, life happened last week so got very little sewing done. Finally finished week 4 this morning. Here are my blocks
    [

Nancy! All I can say is WOW!! That red and white quilt is sure going to be striking...and I REALLY LIKE the B10 on the lower right...the colors in it are so warm and pretty!
    Linda

Quote Originally Posted by ozarkmama View Post
    Can't imagine using freezer paper to PP, but then I haven't read the tute. I use a kid's Doodle Pad, put out by Crayola Crayons, cut it from 9x12 down to 8-1/2 x 11. It is very thin, tears very easily(in fact, if your stitch length is too short it just falls off the block), and goes through your printer if you are printing the patterns off the DJ CD. Much cheaper and works just as well as Carol Doak paper. 60 sheets approximately $3.00 at Wally World....
    WONDERFUL tip!!! Thanks Ozarkmama

Nancy, your blocks are wonderful!!! ....life happenin here too - don't know when to get everything done... besides the health - there's tons of sewing besides ole' DJ - something I will share is that Brenda isn't finished with hers either! YAY - such a neat lady and talented, and it makes me extra happy to know she's totally one of us
    the quilter....'...two cars in ev'ry garage ......and 10+UFOs hiding in the closet!'
    Last edited by Cre8tvlwyr; 02-07-2012 at 08:47 AM.

Blog Entries
    Funny Cre8 !

Thanks for the nice words on my blocks, all.

Anael, I've never paper-pieced, so use the traditional piecing on most. I use the yo-yo method for circles and hand applique them with silk thread. I'm interested in seeing whether the melons will work with the yo-yo method... I'm not that good with needle turn.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 02-07-2012 at 09:00 AM.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

mim
    I will have to go and get a crayola pad. I have always used regular printer paper because it is always available. As long as I crease the lines sharply first I haven't had a problen removing it. I have to crease the lines anyways so I can see where the fabric goes. When I was doing a lot of miniature log cabin blocks I used the double sided tabs that are used for pix and scrapbooking to hold the tiny center pieces instead of pins
    Mim

Blog Entries
    your blocks are looking nice ladies. they are just beautiful. finally got my binding sewn on the scallops. now i am hand hemming it. took me several weeks of practicing, reading, and trying, before i could make it work for me. i was not happy with the points, the corners, the width of the binding and everything. janstar's tutoring finally worked. thx. and i just finally decided 'better done than perfect.' i decided to make my corners like she did. have to quilt the scallops next. hang in there ladies, wish i could join you, but need to finish up started projects.

Page 16 of 112 FirstFirst ... 6 15 16 17 26 66 ... LastLast