Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
2014--50 Fabulous Paper-Pieced Stars BOW >

2014--50 Fabulous Paper-Pieced Stars BOW

2014--50 Fabulous Paper-Pieced Stars BOW

Old 12-20-2013, 01:58 PM

janRN, thanks for the pics. Definitely looks doable
Old 12-21-2013, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
I've decided on my colors, blacks whites greys plus one popper, I'm leaning toward cheddars, but red and gold are in the running.
I've already changed my mind...
looking through the blocks today it appears to me that at the 12" size they take nearly a fat quarter of background
Cut four 4.75 inch blocks (split diagonally)
and cut four 3.75 blocks (also split)
which I worked out in my math challenged mind as one strip (rounded up) 5" x20" and one 4"X16".

Translates to 50 fat quarters-ish worth using mixed neutrals?

I know the stars will take a lot of fabric because we have to factor in the seam allowances on all those thin strips.

Just thinking outloud... I like things to look forward to
Old 12-22-2013, 05:50 AM

This morning I can clearly see my error
Yes, it is basic width of fat quarter but only 9 inches of fabric. so more like 25 fat quarters worth. 6-7 yards.
Old 12-22-2013, 07:07 AM

Kalama, I do mine the way you suggested. My background is muslin and I have a pile of triangles in both sizes I pre cut. It's been awhile since I've made a star. Im ready to start again though.
Old 12-22-2013, 07:42 AM

Kalama Quilts, I am so glad math oriented quilters like you post on these boards! I am math challenged to say the least, your math makes it make sense. Looking forward to getting started.

And thank everyone who showed how they QAYG. It really does help to have photos. I think that's going to be my way to go. It does sound better than hand stitching the back to use one large back.

Last edited by toverly; 12-22-2013 at 07:44 AM.
Old 12-22-2013, 01:06 PM

Dear Quilters, I'm in! I'm patiently waiting for my book to arrive -- I thought it would be here by now so I could start over the holidays. Heading out tomorrow with no book in hand so it will be a 2014. I was too busy to do any quilting last year. I'm determined to try this year. A small block a week sounds ambitious but I'm going to try. I have never QAYG, but I'm going to try! Small paper pieced blocks are appealing to me but I may mix them up in sizes to give me some creative time on the top. I haven't decided on the colorway yet. I'm leaning towards Mardi Gras stars -- purple, greens and golds on a white background. I will have to learn how to post pictures along the way. It's time to stop lurking on the board and really join in. Thank you all for your great ideas. I love the encouragement you give one another in here. Until I get back in town, Happy Holidays everyone! -- J
Old 12-22-2013, 02:45 PM

Welcome,Ibex 94. Your purple, greens, and golds sound like a great combination. I've done other quilt alongs with some of the ladies signed on here and it's a great group. Look forward to your contributions.
Old 12-22-2013, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by janRN View Post
Welcome,Ibex 94. Your purple, greens, and golds sound like a great combination. I've done other quilt alongs with some of the ladies signed on here and it's a great group. Look forward to your contributions.
aw shucks JanRN
Old 12-23-2013, 02:36 AM

Oh Ibex, white background My favorite!! With purples, greens and golds........wow, that will be gorgeous!
Old 12-23-2013, 09:29 AM

I am thinking of using only my stash too except for the background which I will have to get. I am also thinking of making each star out of flower material as I seem to have a ton of it. It will be a flowery star quilt. LOL

I posted this on another site and I am sure they all are wondering how I was doing stars when it is a round robin idea. I probably really confused some of them. Anyways.......Flowers it will be for me.