Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 13 ... LastLast

Thread: 20th Mystery Quilt Train Ride

Quote Originally Posted by m-fay View Post
    Judy I'm doing this one queen size for my sister who wants it 1colour. So 8 yards of 3 contrasting shades of green should be ok? Thanks.

do you mean all different greens? Should be OK but I didn't do the math. If all different greens, you should be able to buy a bit more if needed.
    And to answer the next question, I would use a solid neutral. If it is all green, the pattern will get lost.
    When life gives you scraps, make a colorful happy quilt.

Craftyjulz welcome! So glad you have joined us. And no worry about keeping up, take your time and work at your own pace. The clues will always be on the QB, they don't get taken down when the last clue is given.

Actually what you need right now are two groups - one a light neutral and the other would be a mix of medium to dark scraps. If you don't have a lot of neutral scraps, you can use yardage of a small to medium print, or solid, or tone on tone, or mottle. Something to contrast with your darker scraps.

Later on, you will need more darks. And that too could be yardage if you use up all your dark scraps in the clues to come.

Don't hesitate to ask any questions you have.

Judy I miss Jan too. If you hadn't PM'd me I would have missed the ride too. I will post a reminder in the threads I'm active in. Maybe more will show up. Seems alot are away too.
    Mary

Blog Entries
    Hello, all! I missed the last ride because of my arthritis, but I am going to try doing this one. I just have to limit my cutting time (sewing is no problem ). As you've noted, scraps seem to multiply without any help. Thanks again, Judy, for doing this.
    "I keep my end tables full of needlework and quilting so I don't have to dust them." ~ Author Unknown but I agree!

Judy, I’m not sure I have enough scraps & especially ones of the right sizes. What’s the smallest sizes my scraps should be that will be usable for this quilt? For example, are there cuts that go down to only 2” wide in places or maybe I need enough for a 3” square at the least? I such a newbie huh? Lol. I may just go with regular yardage still but I thought I’d at least ask.

I'm not clear on the non-scrappy option.

Your pictures show 5 fabrics for each option that you've shown, but mention only needing 2 yards of each of the three colours, light, medium and dark....what am I missing?

Watson

Quote Originally Posted by Watson View Post
    I'm not clear on the non-scrappy option.

Your pictures show 5 fabrics for each option that you've shown, but mention only needing 2 yards of each of the three colours, light, medium and dark....what am I missing?

Watson
    I’m confused with this as well.

Well, I guess I'll just hop on this bandwagon or should I say train ride, but I"m with craftyjulz and Watson. What did we all miss?
    Carol

Quote Originally Posted by craftyjulz View Post
    Judy, I’m not sure I have enough scraps & especially ones of the right sizes. What’s the smallest sizes my scraps should be that will be usable for this quilt? For example, are there cuts that go down to only 2” wide in places or maybe I need enough for a 3” square at the least? I such a newbie huh? Lol. I may just go with regular yardage still but I thought I’d at least ask.
    I think you will have to go with the non scrappy. Save your scraps, they multiply quickly in the dark of the night, and before you know it, you will have a big bin full of scraps.

craftyjuls, Watson and WANNABEE -- I should have known better when I gave shots of ideas for using three colors. I guess it was a case of, pick three you like together that have a lot of contrast. Sorry for any confusion.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 09-18-2018 at 01:59 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps

Huh, still confused.

I just joined this board because I saw a quilt posted somewhere else that was made from your last mystery and just loved it. I hope I can follow this thread since this format I new too me. I am thinking of doing red. blue and gold with white as the neutral since I am not confident choosing values for a totally scrappy look. This way it will be a QOV quilt.

Susan (Mason's Nana)

Sorry, that should have been "new to me" in my previous posting.

Quote Originally Posted by WANNABEE View Post
    Huh, still confused.
    I think Judy is saying simply to choose three contrasting colors, dark, medium, light, about 2 yards of each. And about 2 yards of neutral too. This isn't what I'm using, as I'll be going full out scrappy I think, but here is an example of what I believe Judy is saying. Please correct me if I'm wrong!

Judy, I don't want to jump in and certainly don't want to offend you, just want to help!

Name:  P1000285.jpg
Views: 497
Size:  144.2 KB
    Last edited by NZquilter; 09-17-2018 at 03:42 PM.
    We didn't realize we were making memories, we just knew we were having fun. ~ Winnie the Pooh ~

1912 World's Rotary Treadle (White Company), 1942 Singer 66-16, 1952 Pfaff 130-6, 1954 Singer 15-91, 1956 Singer 201-2

Welcome to the Quilting Board, Susan!
    We didn't realize we were making memories, we just knew we were having fun. ~ Winnie the Pooh ~

1912 World's Rotary Treadle (White Company), 1942 Singer 66-16, 1952 Pfaff 130-6, 1954 Singer 15-91, 1956 Singer 201-2

I.m in--I,ve got toooo many scraps & need to use them. This should help some. But you are right . Those scraps seem to breed like rabbits over night.

Thanks Judy.
    "Good friends are like quilts-they age with you, yet never lose their warmth."

I have gifted each and everyone of Ms. Judy's Mysteries to someone special to me. I'm in on this one too. I always get rave reviews on the patterns chosen. Thank you Judy
    Happy Sewing, Lisa E.
    Don't Cry Because It Is Over, Smile Because it Happened, Dr. Seuss

Thank you Mary and Judy for the confirmation on my fabric choices. I miss Jan too as she was always there with good advice and she produced beautiful quilts. I learned so much from her and others on this board who give instruction and help so graciously.

Judy do you still look at #19 ? I just posted a photo and need a 2nd (or 3rd & 4th) opinion on the colour of my border. Thanks anyone

I think this would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by NZquilter View Post
    I think Judy is saying simply to choose three contrasting colors, dark, medium, light, about 2 yards of each. And about 2 yards of neutral too. This isn't what I'm using, as I'll be going full out scrappy I think, but here is an example of what I believe Judy is saying. Please correct me if I'm wrong!

Judy, I don't want to jump in and certainly don't want to offend you, just want to help!

Name:  P1000285.jpg
Views: 497
Size:  144.2 KB
    You will never hurt my feelings! I am never offended.
    Your color choices are good - nice contrast. Actually, if you are doing yardage, you will need 2 colors and a neutral for the next two steps, and a third color at the end. Make sure there is good contrast with these 2 colors.

Quote Originally Posted by m-fay View Post
    Judy do you still look at #19 ? I just posted a photo and need a 2nd (or 3rd & 4th) opinion on the colour of my border. Thanks anyone
    oh my goodness and wowser, this is beautiful. Y'all gotta go look at her top. I gave some suggestions, let me know what you think.
    Last edited by paintmejudy; 09-18-2018 at 07:29 AM.

m-fay, I just looked at your # 19 quilt and love it! Now I think I may have to make that one too. The narrow dark border would look great along with the blue. There is always good advice from this group.

thank you ladies. reckon I'll go with a 1 1/2 inch dark scrappy (same as the lattice) with the plain blue to bring it up to size.

Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 13 ... LastLast