Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
20th Mystery Quilt Train Ride >

20th Mystery Quilt Train Ride

20th Mystery Quilt Train Ride

Old 10-09-2018, 02:13 PM
Power Poster

Janie, I like both fabrics- no help, right? But I really do. I think either one would be fine.
Watson, my method is to just do strips and then cut them and make the 4 patches. I do realize that in this mystery we are supposed to mix up the 4 patches so that's what I will do, although there will be some repeats if I do them the way I described. I need to try your way, thanks!
Old 10-09-2018, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by lawsonmugs View Post
I just cut out long neutral strips and sew colored strips on top of it rst. since the colors are from scraps they aren't very long and so I just chain stitch them on top of the neutral . Then sub cut them into the size I need. I make mind a touch bigger so I have wiggle room when I cut them into a square. This is a picture of some of my 4 patches with some of my hst's. I probably have at least 2/3's done. so another day and I should be done.
This is a great method, Mary. Your units look terrific. I'm going to try that with my 4-patches. Thanks!

Leslie
Old 10-10-2018, 06:26 AM
dd

Thx Judy, I will continue with white and scraps. I have been doing scrappy but I will need to buy the dark for the next clue. How much do I need to buy? I'm sure it's already here somewhere but I couldn't find it again.
Old 10-10-2018, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by dd View Post
thx judy, i will continue with white and scraps. I have been doing scrappy but i will need to buy the dark for the next clue. How much do i need to buy? I'm sure it's already here somewhere but i couldn't find it again.
if you are doing scrappy, the last clue is also scrappy. Yardage for the nonscrappy gals. But if you have to buy something, I'd wait until you see how it all goes together.
Old 10-10-2018, 08:43 PM

I've been making my 4 patches as leader and enders (Bonnie Hunter style) as I work on another project. And some like lawsonmugs. It will take a long to make them all but at least it is a start. of course another scrap quilt using strings. I had stopped cutting 2 inch strips or squares but still had a drawer full so it is good to have this to use them up in.
Old 10-11-2018, 04:55 PM

Okay, I hope RJ is on to the right track because I did the same thing, I used my sorta light teal for my “neutral” & then the same fabric scraps for both the triangles & four patches. The dark purple will be my only other yardage I’m guessing it’s for the sashing you alluded to Judy. Am I alright or do I need to do my four patches all over with different fabric(s)? Ugh that would be a lot of work again. Do you think there’s enough contrast?

Btw, you weren’t kidding when you said to be careful with sewing a scant quarter inch seem & even maybe moving your needle over. I thought I was done with my four patches & wound up having to sew almost 20 new ones. My machine is new to me so my scant quarter inch was obviously off. I would’ve rather cut the squares bigger & then cut down the four patches after they were done like you do with the HST’s. I got so upset I shut everything off & had to walk away for an hour which is totally unlike me. Oh well. Live & learn. Lol. Please tell me a few of you had to re-sew a few four patches as well to make me feel better ok?

Julz
Old 10-11-2018, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Watson View Post
What method does everyone use for the quickest four patches?
I found one I hadn't seen before where you cut the fabric 1" bigger square than you need the finished four patch. Put the fabrics together and sew down opposite sides, then cut up the middle and iron open, put back together good side to good side so they are opposite colours and sew opposite sides and cut up the middle and you end up with 4 four patches. Trim to size. Seems pretty quick once you get going.
What's your quick way to do them?

Watson
Do you have a link to that way of doing 4 patches? I’d like to try it. As my previous post says, I really had a hard time with trying to use exactly 2” wide strips to piece the 4 patches & lost 16 of them due to them not measuring out big enough in the end. I’d say I’m more of a confident beginner since, despite starting to quilt way back in 2005, I’ve had to take breaks of years & I sew really slowly because of my disabilities. I’ve only completed about a dozen quilt tops. It’s nice to report that I’ve sewed more in the last 2 months since I’ve got my “new to me” Bernina, than I have in the last couple of years all together. Anyways, I’m still learning lots of basic techniques so any advice on how to better make these 4 patches, even though I’m done for this project, would be greatly appreciated.

And if anyone could direct me to a place that shows you a formula on how to make flying geese easily I’d appreciate that too. I’m trying to make these blocks for another personal project & don’t like using triangles sewn to triangles to make flying geese because the stretch you get because of the bias cut. I’d rather use rectangles & small squares to the corners that you sew on & then cut off the outer pieces but I’m not sure how to get them to come out the size I need, 4 1/2 wide I believe.

Thanks, Julz
Old 10-11-2018, 05:41 PM

Julz -- search "no waste 4 at a time flying geese". Easiest and quickest way ever. I have a chart I keep on my desktop to refer to. If you use the 4 at a time method for a finished size of 2-1/4 x 4-1/2", the large square is 5-3/4 and the four small squares are 3-1/4. Here's a link to a tutorial: https://www.scrapish.com/no-waste-flying-geese.html
Old 10-11-2018, 05:48 PM

Hey craftyjulz, you’re not alone! I needed to trim down a few of my 4 patches and resew a couple when the seams didn’t nest properly because I was rushing so of course that slowed me down.

I like your colours. I hope that you have enough contrast because redoing them will be a ton of work.

I think this is the method that Watson was referring to.

https://www.craftsy.com/quilting/art...quilt-pattern/

I’m going to use that method next time. Thanks, Watson! I’d never heard of this way until you mentioned it.
Old 10-11-2018, 06:01 PM

CraftyJulz all of your blocks look great. Love the light teal with all your other fabrics. It works because it is all the same for all your blocks.