Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 111 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 13 53 103 ... LastLast

Thread: 50 Fab Paper-Pieced Stars

Meanmom and Wholeheart Mom commented about the complicated stars -- but really, they only look more complicated. Only difference, really, is more pieces, but they still go together one piece at a time and will only take a bit more time. Don't shy away because you think they are too hard. If you can paper piece a simple block, you can do any of Carol Doak's stars.
    "If they give you ruled paper, write the other way."
    Juan Ramon Jimenez 1881-1958

I agree Judy. The hardest part of PP is making sure you cut your pieces big enough. Watch those angles. Think I need to buy that BIG and Bold book too. Might be a 2013 project.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmejudy View Post
    Meanmom and Wholeheart Mom commented about the complicated stars -- but really, they only look more complicated. Only difference, really, is more pieces, but they still go together one piece at a time and will only take a bit more time. Don't shy away because you think they are too hard. If you can paper piece a simple block, you can do any of Carol Doak's stars.

Quote Originally Posted by PokerDiva View Post
    Please join us in working through Caraol Doak's book "50 Fabulous Paper-Pieced Stars". Starting the first week in January we will be making one star a week, starting with Alabama and ending in December with Wyoming. If you have this book, please join us. there will be no patterns or tutorials given and there is no sign ups required. Do as few or as many as you like. We would love to see your beautiful stars so please post their picture here.
    I have this book and think one star block from it a month will be doable so will join in if no one has nay objections
    You can make the blocks to size or decrease the size so I might just do this with some of them for a different look.
    Will give me something else to play around with when I feel so inclined.

Cheers
    Maybe1day
    Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
    - John Lennon

Blog Entries
    I'm in! I just found this thread. I have had the book for several years and have made many of the blocks for different projects, but not all 50. This will be fun! I love paper piecing!
    Ronda

Quote Originally Posted by paintmejudy View Post
    Had to laugh at the two board names.... Meanmom and Wholeheart Mom!

Anyway, thanks for the encouragement. I get intimidated easy by the complicated looking blocks, and I am glad to know that they aren't as difficult as they seem. I'll give it a shot!
    I am a homeschool mom to four little ladies, a prayerful wonderer and marveller, a spirit-filled dancer, a meek and mighty warrior, and a friend to many small creatures. Nice to meet you!

My book is ordered and on the way. I am thinking ahead to color options, and I am just curious..... is everybody going to do this project scrappy, controlled scrappy, or with a definite color theme in mind?
    I am a homeschool mom to four little ladies, a prayerful wonderer and marveller, a spirit-filled dancer, a meek and mighty warrior, and a friend to many small creatures. Nice to meet you!

I think I want a definite color theme - black background for sure but I am undecided on the color for the stars yet. My book isn't here yet so I can't decide.

Blog Entries
    Count me in, I've had that book for years and have made several of the stars. Love paper piecing!
    Laura

Quote Originally Posted by Wholeheart Mom View Post
    My book is ordered and on the way. I am thinking ahead to color options, and I am just curious..... is everybody going to do this project scrappy, controlled scrappy, or with a definite color theme in mind?
    I'm hoping to use what I have, which would make it scrappy, but I don't have the book yet, so not sure. I have so many scraps I really need to use them up. I love PPing, so this is going to be fun.
    "Impossible is an opinion, not a fact" Cameron Clapp

http://signatures.mylivesignature.co...47687D2C18.png

Blog Entries
    I went to make sure I had the book and I must really want to this as I have TWO brand new books. I also found the CD for "Foundation Factory, Special Edition" but do not know where the book is located. Anyway, I think I shall use off-white background and either batiks or scrappy.
    tomilu

Blog Entries
    Well, Duh and Duh. I thought the CD in the back of the book included the blocks. Finally figured out they are not, so ordered the companion CD so I can print the blocks. The video is informative.

Quote Originally Posted by tomilu View Post
    I think I still have the book and if so, would like to participate. Mine will be used for Quilts of Valor.
    tomilu
    Tomilu, thank you for the quilts of valor....our youngest boy left for Afghanstain last week. When he was in Iraq in 2009 I made quilts for his unit and they guys loved them! A small bit of comfort that means alot.
    Fat Quarters have fewer calories than a Hot Fudge Sundae!
    http://debsquiltsandthings.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    Well, Duh and Duh. I thought the CD in the back of the book included the blocks. Finally figured out they are not, so ordered the companion CD so I can print the blocks. The video is informative.
    yeah, I found that out too and I have several other of her books and I think the Cd's are all the same! I would much rather have the blocks. It irritates me to spend that much for the original book and then have to buy the other CD as well.

If you get the spine cut off the book, you can lay the page on your printer. Lots cheaper that way. I had Staples cut the spine off and put a spiral binding on it, only about $4 if I remember. But would have been just as easy to leave the binding off and the pages loose.
    Quote Originally Posted by greenini View Post
    yeah, I found that out too and I have several other of her books and I think the Cd's are all the same! I would much rather have the blocks. It irritates me to spend that much for the original book and then have to buy the other CD as well.
    "If they give you ruled paper, write the other way."
    Juan Ramon Jimenez 1881-1958

Blog Entries
    I think I shall get mine spiral bound as well. And I would much rather have the CD with the blocks come with the book. All in the name of money, I suppose.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bamamama View Post
    Tomilu, thank you for the quilts of valor....our youngest boy left for Afghanstain last week. When he was in Iraq in 2009 I made quilts for his unit and they guys loved them! A small bit of comfort that means alot.
    Thank you. I participate with a local QOV group. We have to have 400 quilts ready for a group coming home in March. My youngest daughter was in the Navy; we lost her 11/07. She is survived by her daughter, who is a blessing.

Blog Entries
    Thank you. I participate with a local QOV group. We have to have 400 quilts ready for a group coming home in March. My youngest daughter was in the Navy; we lost her 11/07. She is survived by her daughter, who is a blessing.
    So sorry about the loss of your daughter. So glad you have a granddaughter. Sending extra hugs to you this holiday season!
    Ronda

Blog Entries
    Like many others, the unopened book is on my shelf. Will join in, but go to FL for Feb. and March so must work ahead or catch up. Such a good idea.

Blog Entries
    The block I did wasn't hard, it was just the first quilt I had ever made. I think it was the Oregon star. I think I did64 blocks and made a queen sized quilt. It is still on my bed.Also the first paper piecing I had ever done. Yes like someone said the hardest part was making sure you cut the pieces for the angled pieces the right size. If I remember correctly the book tells you what size to cut your pieces, not sure. I will have to look at the book and make sure. I will try to post a picture tomorrow. I haven't tried to post a picture since the board changed. I think I will choose a background color and do the rest some sort of controlled scrappy.

Meanmom, you were real brave to start out PPing that way. Kudos to you.

I ordered my book and the cd with the patterns. So I guess I am in. I will be glad of the support of this group since I think I am out of my comfort zone. And yet I am SO excited! Now I can't wait till I get my book and January. )

I am ordering the book on amazon. It comes with a cd. I can't find another cd related to the book that has each square. Where would I order this cd?
    SheriR~

~If you can't turn the corners of your mouth up...let the middle sag!~

"Be not afraid, only believe."

Blog Entries
    You order it from www.caroldoak.com
    tomilu

Blog Entries
    I think I shall get mine spiral bound as well. And I would much rather have the CD with the blocks come with the book. All in the name of money, I suppose.
    The odd thing is that her other book 300 Paper Pieced Quilt blocks does come with the Foundation Factory CD! It was publ in 2004, our book in 2000 maybe she got some feedback. I am going to take both of the books without the CD in and get the bindings cut off, might as well get 2 done at once, tho I think I will get them bound, with my luck they'd get dropped and wind up all over the floor.....

FYI, Carol Doak's publishing co started adding a CD with printable foundations after much negative customer feedback. Lots of people bought her older publications thinking the CDs would have the patterns and complained when they did not and they had to fork over extra money for the companion CD. So now they are included with her more recent publications.

I borrowed this book from the library and have to return it this week. I did not get a chance to work out of it, as I was busy with presents, etc. So this is just the motivation I need to buy the book and join in the fray. Right now, I will put myself down as a maybe - I have to make sure I can get the book and fabric as a birthday present from my hubby. (My bday is at the very beginning of January, so I'll PM when I know for sure.)

What fun and what a great idea!!!!
    Sheila N.

When Thomas Edison invented the light bulb, he tried over 2000 experiments before he got it to work. A young reporter asked him how it felt to fail so many times. He said, "I never failed once. I invented the light bulb. It just happened to be a 2000 step process."

Page 3 of 111 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 13 53 103 ... LastLast