Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 8 of 111 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 18 58 108 ... LastLast

Thread: 50 Fab Paper-Pieced Stars

Blog Entries
    I have decided to make my quilt into a beach quilt with tans, blues, browns, etc. I have a stack of fat quarters that I bought for that purpose, but was going to use a different pattern...I think the stars will work perfectly!
    Ronda

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by klgreene View Post
    I started mine yesterday. And I didn't paper piece like Carol Doak, but there sure isn't a lot of waste her way. But my first section is in te garbage. Had to rethink. I'll probably get the block done today.
    LOL. My first one may go in the same direction. I think I'll finish it and post but am definitely rethinking colors. I decided to do batiks but I'm thinking there is too much color variation and all the little pieces aren't going to show up. Once we start posting maybe I'll get some opinions and other ideas.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rwquilts View Post
    I have decided to make my quilt into a beach quilt with tans, blues, browns, etc. I have a stack of fat quarters that I bought for that purpose, but was going to use a different pattern...I think the stars will work perfectly!
    Sounds beautiful, I love those colors.

KL and Whitepine, just curious, what do you mean " piecing like Carol Doak". Are you referring to the fact that she gives the size to cut each piece?

I too am giving a lot of thought to the fabrics. I really want to go scrappy, but it will all have to look good together at the end. I have so much stash that I don't really want to buy anything for this.

Mines done and ready to post on Sunday, ran off the papers for the next block, but I'm involved with a couple different BOM and BOW's so I have to try to keep them in order.
    "Impossible is an opinion, not a fact" Cameron Clapp

http://signatures.mylivesignature.co...47687D2C18.png

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nickylsf View Post
    KL and Whitepine, just curious, what do you mean " piecing like Carol Doak". Are you referring to the fact that she gives the size to cut each piece?

I too am giving a lot of thought to the fabrics. I really want to go scrappy, but it will all have to look good together at the end. I have so much stash that I don't really want to buy anything for this.
    I was talking more about colors in my post but it's true, I have never precut the pieces like she does. I would just lay the pattern on a bigger piece and use what I needed. Like on the Buildings BOM, there were no two pieces the same. The "one piece at a time" takes a lot longer but may save some fabric. But her patterns have so many pieces the same size that it is really nice to have the pieces all cut. The stars go together really fast.

I would think scrappy will work on these stars. Maybe the same background to tie it together. IMHO Carol's examples are a little too busy with her patterned background. What do I know , I'm a newcomer to quilting.

I'm referring to cutting the size of fabric, I always use scraps, I like this better, less waste. And less mess. Also she folds on the next line to sew on and cuts the 1/4". I had sewn the two together then cut the 1/4", this is less fabric to cut at one time, so easier on the hands. However, I just finished a 27x27 Christmas Cactus and it gave the amount of fabric needed, but not what size cuts, so I'll be doing PP both ways. With all the pieces in my CC I would never have taken the time to figure out what size cut pieces I needed. So on any non-Carol Doak patterns, I'll still be singing, "back to back" and "front to front".

I precut all mine but I measure my own. I don't use her measurements. I like to cut them a little larger. I also trim to slightly less than 1/4" before I add the next piece.

Can't wait to see all the stars. Sunday will be a fun day.

Blog Entries
    Pokerdiva, Are we going to have a new thread each week for posting pictures, or will they be on this thread? Just wondering what to look for.

We are staying right here. I don't want to lose anyone. All pics to be posted here.

Quote Originally Posted by whitepine View Post
    Pokerdiva, Are we going to have a new thread each week for posting pictures, or will they be on this thread? Just wondering what to look for.

Blog Entries
    I have finished Alabama and will work on Alaska soon. I was also in my EQ designing my quilt so I know how many blocks I want to make. Glad we'll be on one thread PokerDiva...keeps things simple!
    Ronda

Yes, much easier to stay on the same thread. I forget when I have to look all over the place. I was thinking also about how many blocks to make. If you make 50 it doesn't quite work for a quilt. 7 accross and 7 down is 49. I don't want to leave any out so I thought if I made 6 of the combination blocks when I have time as I go then I would have 7 across and 8 down. That seems reasonable to me and I think I can stick 6 more blocks in along the way. Anyone else have a thought on that?

I have finished Alabama and will work on Alaska soon. I was also in my EQ designing my quilt so I know how many blocks I want to make. Glad we'll be on one thread PokerDiva...keeps things simple!

Blog Entries
    Well, the flag has 50 stars so maybe that's a pattern.

I'm glad too that we're staying on this thread. The "view first unread" feature is a nice one and makes it so easy to go right where you left off reading.

But on the flag aren't the stars staggered?

Well, the flag has 50 stars so maybe that's a pattern.

I'm glad too that we're staying on this thread. The "view first unread" feature is a nice one and makes it so easy to go right where you left off reading.

Quote Originally Posted by PokerDiva View Post
    Yes, much easier to stay on the same thread. I forget when I have to look all over the place. I was thinking also about how many blocks to make. If you make 50 it doesn't quite work for a quilt. 7 accross and 7 down is 49. I don't want to leave any out so I thought if I made 6 of the combination blocks when I have time as I go then I would have 7 across and 8 down. That seems reasonable to me and I think I can stick 6 more blocks in along the way. Anyone else have a thought on that?
    Here is an idea for #50: Leave it in four pieces and use it for cornerstones! You can also get to 50 by putting them on point and adding half square triangles on the edges.
    Last edited by nickylsf; 12-30-2011 at 05:17 PM.

Blog Entries
    I am making my quilt 6 blocks x 7 blocks for a total of 42 blocks with 3" strips and two 3" borders...it will end up to be 93" x 108" doing that. I figured that I would make the 50 state star blocks and it will give me some throw pillows or pillowcases or both. Better too many than not enough for me! LOL! I might even take some and make a mini wall quilt to match.

Quote Originally Posted by PokerDiva View Post
    Last edited by rwquilts; 12-30-2011 at 05:27 PM.
    Ronda

Good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by nickylsf View Post
    Here is an idea for #50: Leave it in four pieces and use it for cornerstones! You can also get to 50 by putting them on point and adding half square triangles on the edges.

Another good idea!!!

I am making my quilt 6 blocks x 7 blocks for a total of 42 blocks with 3" strips and two 3" borders...it will end up to be 93" x 108" doing that. I figured that I would make the 50 state star blocks and it will give me some throw pillows or pillowcases or both. Better too many than not enough for me! LOL!

Hey girls, I've just finished #1, I'm not going to worry about the end until I get a bunch done. You are way ahead of me. LOL

I am planning on doing this, but am having trouble picking fabrics. Should I do it in Christmas fabrics? Scrappy? Christmas Scrappy? Oh, the decisions. LOL
    Fabaddict

Why don't you wait to see what some of the other peoples blocks look like. It may help you decide.

Quote Originally Posted by Fabaddict View Post
    I am planning on doing this, but am having trouble picking fabrics. Should I do it in Christmas fabrics? Scrappy? Christmas Scrappy? Oh, the decisions. LOL

Where do I find this "view first unread" feature?

Quote Originally Posted by iwillquilt View Post
    Where do I find this "view first unread" feature?
    Go to the HOME page...click on "settings"...scroll to "my account".... click on "general settings"...scroll to "thread display mode".... click on "newest first".

Blog Entries
    The "view first unread" appears at the top of every page, right next to the "thread tools." It is in blue. I have never done a setting, this has just always been there on my subscribed threads. It takes me right to where I left off the last time I was here. If it doesn't appear on your page I am at a loss.

Honchey's idea to reverse the order of the thread so that the newest posts are first, is also a way to keep track of where you are.

Blog Entries
    I am going to do it out of my stash. I went to buy background fabric today. I was undecided when I walked into the LQS. I was going back and forth between a light batik almost white and various dark batiks. I was going to buy a dark pink, dk blue, dk purple , dk green and vary the backgrounds. I found a really pretty dark bluish purple batik with a little bit of other colors sprinkled in. It is and island batik. Exactly what I was looking for. Cant wait to start. Maybe tonight.

Page 8 of 111 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 18 58 108 ... LastLast