Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
#8 mystery quilt train ride - it's scrap-alicious! >

#8 mystery quilt train ride - it's scrap-alicious!

#8 mystery quilt train ride - it's scrap-alicious!

Old 02-07-2015, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by m-fay View Post
Moonrise...love your star border

Here's my very bright effort..Love the pattern & the stars, so now I have to make another 3 blocks to lengthen it, before I finish off the stars.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]508997[/ATTACH]
I like all the colors together & your darker yellow centers on your stars...I may have to do something like that for my stars as I don't have enough of the one fabric to make them all...so thanks, I wouldn't have thought to do this.
Old 02-07-2015, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by m-fay View Post
My block for Jolo[ATTACH=CONFIG]508998[/ATTACH]
She will love your block...I'm just finishing up mine for her...hope to get in the mail Monday.
Old 02-07-2015, 03:42 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]509215[/ATTACH]

This isn't fully sewn together yet ... blocks will end up being at least 16 1/2 x 16 1/2. I started the centers with 5" charms and will cut them all down.

It will be a 2 x 3 block on the front and back so the quilt will be reversible for our newest grand daughter still baking in the oven .

I don't know if you can see they are "I SPY" charms and triangles for the most part. The green is jungle print as they plan to do her nursery in wild animals. The sashing will be white with tiny green stars. I haven't decided what I'll do the cornerstones with or use stars.
Attached Thumbnails r-rexs-2015.jpg  
Old 02-07-2015, 04:45 PM

Very cute moonwork! Great baby quilt going there!
Old 02-07-2015, 05:23 PM

vicki M I ran out of the lighter yellow fabric & the darker yellow was the best I could find. I'll have to use the darker yellow to finish off the border stars.

Tron, Love your colours its beautiful
Old 02-07-2015, 06:33 PM

here's my top done. still thinking on how to bind it. Thanks Judy, really enjoyed working on this mystery rain and will be watching for the next one. well, guess I'll try again tomorrow, keeps saying failed.
Old 02-07-2015, 09:12 PM

Here's my block for jolo. It was fun to do! Still need to sign it.

Old 02-08-2015, 04:13 AM

Oh sunliten it is beautiful. Yes I got the blue and white on and it is beautiful too. I will use them all. I dont think I have ever seen an ugly block or quilt. lol. Love the colors in this block. I also like stars. I just love to make quilts. I am setting the #8 train ride quilt together today.Hope I can find a friend to help me post a picture.
Old 02-08-2015, 04:18 AM

Pam the block is sensational!! Love the colors and pattern. Oh my what a beautiful and one of a kind quilt I am going to make with all of these. Sounds like not just one but at least Two. I forgot when earlier I replied to one of you how many blocks I have gotten so far that I also got a twister wall hanging already put together and with a border on it and the binding strips for when I get it quilted. I am going to hand quilt it and have just the space over my bed to hang it. I have golden knotty pine walls and the color of the wall hanging will be perfect.

Last edited by jolo; 02-08-2015 at 04:23 AM. Reason: adding more.
Old 02-08-2015, 08:01 AM

On old trains there was always a carpetbagger trying to sell you something... well, I'm going to try and sell you onto another project (with Judy's gracious permission).

Here's a link to a new boomerang swap where you get to choose what kind of block you'd like to have made for you. http://www.quiltingboard.com/member-...a-t260452.html

I'm not the hostess of it, but sure would like to see some of you join up. There was a little confusion at first on the guidelines (she posted the older ones...oopps ) but all is clear now. Here's a little about it also:

You do send your f8 (11 x 18) along with your pattern to the Hostess of the swap. You can either make copies of the pattern (so you make special notes if you wish) or post what pattern you wish to have used with your fabric. If you mail copies of the pattern with your f8 you will know beyond a doubt everyone will have the correct pattern. Be sure to put your board name on the pattern in case it becomes separated from your f8. You will also need to be clear in your desires for your fabric - such as "Please use my f8 in the "xyz" portion of the pattern and please use "white or white on white" or "use any fabric that matches the colors in my f8 and have fun"...

You will then be making a block for each f8 you receive from the hostess. They should also either have the pattern enclosed along with any special notes or have the pattern posted on this thread. I'd still suggest at least putting the web location on paper to send with if you are unable to print out patterns for everyone. If you are unclear as to their requests, it's better to ask because others may also have the same question.

I haven't participated in this swap but I have participated in several boomerang swaps and love the idea of everyone creating the same pattern for me. As our hostess urgodschild2 has stated in the rules and perhaps the most scary part is being sure your block measures 12 1/2" correctly. If in doubt, to me, leave it a little bit oversize and let the receiver trim it down...easier to trim...real hard to get them to grow .

Looking forward to this swap and having more fun.

Would love to have some of you sign up -- the sign ups go through February unless it gets full before then. You'd have until mid June to complete the blocks so there isn't a lot of pressure from this. Hope you check it out.

Now back to working on my mystery blocks Thanks for reading my spiel.