Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
#8 mystery quilt train ride - it's scrap-alicious! >

#8 mystery quilt train ride - it's scrap-alicious!

#8 mystery quilt train ride - it's scrap-alicious!

Old 01-26-2015, 06:10 AM

Sadiemae: where did you read about using 2 1/2" strips???
Old 01-26-2015, 06:21 AM

There was a note to set aside 21/2 " strips. Make that a clue!!
Old 01-26-2015, 06:42 AM

right you are, Dotty. The 2-1/2" wide pieces do not need to be WOF. Mine were a mix of dark, medium and bright.

Take care, all you easterners, you are in my thoughts. I remember those January blizzards -- I was born and raised in upstate New York on Lake Ontario, right in the snow belt. It was normal to get 120 inches of snow a year.

Still not sure where all these 9" blocks are coming from, but you seem to be adapting well. Sew on, my friends.
Old 01-26-2015, 07:07 AM

My blocks were also 9" after adding the first set of triangles. Then 12.5" after adding the 7.5 " half triangles they were a little over but gave me a chance to trim them square to 12.5" without loosing any points. Perfect in my book !
Thank you Judy for creating this scrappy mystery
Old 01-26-2015, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by paintmejudy View Post
Wow, gorgeous blocks, ladies! Love the contrast with the darks and lights. Whoo hoo!

Looks like Dottie has an I Spy quilt going on, or maybe will turn it into a Where's Waldo!

As to the flannel question, I will weigh in with my humble opinion. I won't use flannel in a cotton quilt, seems as if even when preshrinking twice, my flannel squares still shrank!
Thank Judy, and everyone else with their input.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:21 AM

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...ml#post7064461
Yesterday Angelia asked to see the quilt I made from the tutorial I had posted. Thought I didn't have a picture of it, (click on above link) but came across it this morning when looking for something else. So, Angelia, and anyone else wondering how that green corner works out in a whole quilt, here it is.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:32 AM

Well, here's another 9" square that will lose some points if I trim to 12.5. I should have had a little bigger seam when sewing clue #1 to clue #2. Could go back and redo. Nope, I'll wait and see what happens with the next clue. It's kind of like driving, if I've gone past I don't want to turn around. Unless I have to.

Great squares coming out. I'm really surprised at how the lights are popping out.

Angelia, Very pretty Carolina Chain. I'm going to look for it on Bonnie's site.

CatOnAMac, Ingenious!

Judy, Thanks for the tute on string piecing. I was wondering how to do that and was going to look it up.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:47 AM

wow, that is great, Judy......going to have to try that !
We are back from "Road to California" it was unbelievable fun!
My DD sewed her clues number one,two and half of three in the hotel room on her featherweight which was tucked in her suitcase. We had a really great time and the manufacturers were amazingly generous with fabric samples....especially Sunday afternoon. We made a hand (English piecing) pieced block that will be joined with many others from other shows around the country and the finished quilt will be part of an ALS event in New York. There was a "kona" name the color guessing game at the end of which you spun a wheel for prizes. Great fun! About a month ago fabric 1/2 price coupons were sent out for this one booth at the show and when you finished shopping they gave you back the coupon and you checked the line waiting to pay and gave the coupn to the next person who did not have one, the coupons 'played' all weekend !
Old 01-26-2015, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by paintmejudy View Post
http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...ml#post7064461
Yesterday Angelia asked to see the quilt I made from the tutorial I had posted. Thought I didn't have a picture of it, (click on above link) but came across it this morning when looking for something else. So, Angelia, and anyone else wondering how that green corner works out in a whole quilt, here it is.
Thanks for posting this. I looked for other mystery tutes but couldn't find them.

I am another 9" block girl. Thanks Ladies for posting that it can work out & I don't need to trim. In between working on this quilt I am making drapes for my family room. I almost forgot to switch presser feet between projects! I bet that would have really given me some big blocks!!!
Old 01-26-2015, 09:16 AM

Thank you, Judy. I like the looks of that!