Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011 >

Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011

Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011

Old 07-28-2011, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by quiltykitty
My son and family have left for Virginia. My GD is on the Dixie Belles state championship softball team and the World Championship is this weekend. There are 11 states (I think)competing and all are in the South. Their first opponent is Alabama. Go Texas Belles!
We love to watch the softball championships when they are on tv. Good luck to GD's team.
Old 07-28-2011, 01:58 PM

I got an email today that Joann.com was out of the kona cotton in buttercup. What a disappointment but I found a great price at fabric.com so, I should soon have the background for my DJ. I love the summer time when I don't have a lot of meetings. I can really quilt until I drop.
Old 07-28-2011, 06:33 PM

Here are 2 photos of #6 - The Devil's Spawn Block and one from Heaven - #7. Both are lacking the embroidery, but the appliqueing is done. Finished #6 last night & started #7. Finished #7 tonight & called if quits so I could come over here & play instead. I am so grateful that #6 is done. I think there may be another "bad" one, but we will just have to see.
I still don't have a clue why those 4 pieces were wrong. I threw them away before I took the pic as it was trash night Tuesday.

Edit to day, I didn't have enough room on #6 for the curlies to go in the place Aie put them, so I moved them 45º & they fit fine.

Edit #2: The purple/yellow/lime green peacock feather fabric is what I had originally bought for the inner borders, but it just didn't play well with the unit, so I went shopping & found the multi-colored batik that I did use. I bought 3 yards of it so I will have plenty to do all 3 rounds of shark teeth borders.

The Devil Block - #6
[ATTACH=CONFIG]233135[/ATTACH]

The Angel Block - #7
[ATTACH=CONFIG]233136[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-233129.jpe   attachment-233130.jpe  
Old 07-28-2011, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltswithConvicts
Here are 2 photos of #6 - The Devil's Spawn Block and one from Heaven - #7. Both are lacking the embroidery, but the appliqueing is done. Finished #6 last night & started #7. Finished #7 tonight & called if quits so I could come over here & play instead. I am so grateful that #6 is done. I think there may be another "bad" one, but we will just have to see.
I still don't have a clue why those 4 pieces were wrong. I threw them away before I took the pic as it was trash night Tuesday.

Edit to day, I didn't have enough room on #6 for the curlies to go in the place Aie put them, so I moved them 45º & they fit fine.
Havent looked at Aie's book to see what you mean ...and I am no where near the devil or angel blocks :) but yours look breathtaking to me so who cares if you moved a piece [or four]??

;-)
should we ask what you tossed?? will the rest of us run into lil' devils as well :x
Old 07-28-2011, 07:20 PM

Thanks for the compliment!

When I was getting ready to stitch the yellow scrolls down, I started to pin them in place, but they were about 1/2" too short & the curve was wrong. Didn't even get to the piece they were supposed top cover. I have no idea why they were the wrong size. This was after I had done all those teeny-tiny long tapered points & just wanted to get this finished!!! I threw away the wrong size scrolls. Don't need them for anything else & it was trash night. I just wasn't able to lay them on the block for comparison so you all could see the problem.

I have found that I don't mind the scrolls at all - it's those long tapered pieces where there is very little room to cram in the seam allowance.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:41 PM

Even as much as you hate them, you did a fabulous job on those pointy points. They look great. And I love your color combination.

I agree, #7 was a fun, easy one to do.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:43 PM

Beautiful Blocks, you did a great job again on these blocks.
You always do such nice work. Looking forward to your next blocks.
Old 07-29-2011, 12:37 AM

Kathy that is just a beautifully done block. I still have this treat to come yuk. I am finishing my corner piece that was wrong and I am on the embroidery now so will sew my first border piece on soon.
Old 07-29-2011, 12:59 AM
Power Poster

Nice blocks Kathy - and I like the colours you chose too.
Old 07-29-2011, 03:18 AM

Thank you, one & all! I have had so much fun chosing the fabrics for each block. I did them all at one time. There are a few that calm everything down a bit. They are bagged with the blow-up of the pattern & all the freezer paper pieces along with the traced background. I baste a few as I go along. I really think the freezer paper is the reason the blocks look as good as they do. I don't have to rely on my skills to get smooth edges as the paper acts like a thin template for me. When I get to a peaky spot, I just use my needle to pull it into place & stitch it down.