Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
August 1, 2008 - Silver Maple - Photos >

August 1, 2008 - Silver Maple - Photos

August 1, 2008 - Silver Maple - Photos

Old 12-23-2008, 06:08 AM

I like ths one! Your blocks are wonderful. I can see this block as a fill-in in a Christmas table runner or placemats since the leaves look like candle sticks! Or how about in a circle as a candle mat? Very versatile pattern.
Old 12-23-2008, 07:09 AM

Oh! I am so glad this thread got bumped to the top!! I evidently missed this one and the moment I saw it I knew I had to make it. I love how striking it is and I'm thinking it might make a really good boy's quilt. I have already printed the instructions and I think I will disappear downstairs soon and see how easily this block goes together.

There is just one thing I do differently from the instructions. When I draw the sewing line on the back of the 2.5-inch square, I then draw a second line a half inch away that mirrors that line. Then, when I am sewing, I sew down this second line as well as the main one and this gives me a second, smaller half quare triangle. I save these up and either use them in the project (as sashing, along borders, on the back, or in the label) or I add them to a growing pile I have and I will make a quilt out of them someday, when I have enough of them. I thought I would share this trick since it doesn't take much time to do. Hopefully someone will enjoy it as much as I do.
Piece ~ Tiffany
Old 12-23-2008, 10:50 AM

I really like this block even more now that I have made one. It's such an easy, no thinking block, which is exactly what I need right now! I think it would be a great quilt for my grandson, done in red and blues.
Piece ~ Tiffany
Attached Thumbnails attachment-34526.jpe  
Old 03-17-2009, 01:16 PM

I guess that paper piecing really refers to what we call foundation piecing
Old 03-17-2009, 02:00 PM
Administrator

they are almost exactly the same.

foundation piecing usually involves sewing the patches to a piece of fabric on which you've drawn or printed the pattern. the patches are permanently attached to the foundation fabric. it becomes part of the quilt.

in paper piecing, you use paper as your "foundation" and pattern guide and then tear it away when it's all done so you're left with only the patches sewn together.