Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Block of the Month - 1st of each month 2012. >

Block of the Month - 1st of each month 2012.

Block of the Month - 1st of each month 2012.

Old 12-27-2011, 09:14 PM

I think I'd like to try to follow along this year. I've always wanted to have a calendar quilt. Question: is their a reminder about the new block each month OR where do we look to find the next block? I used to get notifications of new responses on threads that I had sent in a reply, but I don't think this is being done with the new format....or I haven't gotten any notifiations. I look forward to this new challenge.
Old 12-28-2011, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by rwquilts View Post
I'm assuming that's exactly what calendar means! Each block representing that given month, to be determined specifically by whomever is in charge of the block for that month...could be paper pieced, traditional applique, etc. Won't this be soooo much fun??? Can't wait! Thanks SulaBug!!!
You are so right!! I am choosing the block for January & it will represent what I think fits that month. When February gets here, that block sould be realted to hearts or Valentine's Day & so on & so on. They will be regular pieced, appliqued, paper pieced or whatever method the person chooses her pattern to be. It's suppose to be fun & a little bit of a challange too. I love the idea of venturing out & learning something new once & awhile & I hope you will too!!
Old 12-28-2011, 06:36 AM

I am a new quilter ( I have only done 3 projects and they were squares basically so I won't be doing any suggesting but I would like to follow along and see what each block is and learn from doing a block a month. I think I could accomplish it! However, I don't want to be held responsible for getting anything done or posting anything for any one else. Does that sound mean? I just dont want another obligation as I take care of my Dad who has Alzheimers and lives with us, I work full time and have a family so I dont want to commit to anything. I do however, want to try to make a block each month to learn different processes. Will the blocks be able to be done by beginners? Can I still participate by getting the block choice and the pattern? Can you send me COMPLETE, Quilt Board for Dummies directions on how to access them, post the pics of completion etc? Do I have to use certain colors or is it my choice? Can you tell I haven't done this before? teeehee Any light you can shed will be appreciated.
Old 12-28-2011, 07:25 AM

Ok, so how do we bookmark this. Still "trying" to learn the new site. Starting to get alittle more them simply frustrated.

Originally Posted by SulaBug View Post
Hello Everyone,

I hope this finds everyone having had a Wonderful Holiday & ready to start the 2012 BOM's new theme: the Calandar Year!! We are so excited to make this announcment for everyone to see. I think we are going to have a wonderful year, ending up with a lovely Calandar theme quilt, when we are done. There are many free quilt block pattern's on quilterscache.com & other sites on the internet. We are looking for a finish quilt block measuring 12 1/2" square. Not all patterns will be that exact size so please add to them, so they make up that size. This is where you can personalize your own blocks if you like. Please feel free to have fun with them & remember to share all of your pictures each month.

I will be starting with January & will post the block I have choosen on, 1 January 2012. Lets get ready to have some FUN!!

To volunteer to chose a month's pattern for this year, just send me a PM.

Remember....you don't have to sign up for this, anyone who wants to make the blocks can play along.

Here's a reminder of the way our Blocks of the Month work.

Rules are a buzzkill, we know. BUT there are a few things we all need to know and understand ahead of time so we can have as much fun as possible when we quilt along with our BOM buddies. So ... here they are.

1. All registered and active members of the board are eligible to request a spot on a "pickers' list".

2. Pickers will be responsible for either a link to existing directions for a block, or for providing directions for the block they've chosen. We all have different skill levels and technique preferences.

When choosing a block, please check copyrights and terms of use set forth by the authors of the instructions. Pickers are strongly encouraged to pick only blocks from the Public Domain and instructions that do not place strict or severe limits on what we can do with the blocks we make using those instructions.

As individual quilters, WE are responsible for making sure we read, understand, and comply with those copyright/terms of use statements.

3. Anyone who sees the list and likes the blocks is invited to make them. However, only registered members of the board will be able to post pictures of the blocks they've made.

4. Pick and make any blocks you like from any lists you like. No matter how long ago a block was picked, you are still invited to post pictures when you make one. Just make sure to post your pics in the pictures thread for that block.

5. There will be two threads for each block. Both of them will be in the BOM section of the board. One thread for directions and discussion, and the other thread for pictures of the finished blocks. For the sake of keeping things sane all other threads will be moved or deleted.

When posting a new BOM, please make sure to use the appropriate titles, such as:
"1 January 2012 - (name of your pattern) - Directions & Discussion"
and
"1 January 2012 - (name of your pattern) - Photos5.

If a posted block doesn't interest you, feel free to skip it.

6. Again - You don't have to be a registered member or on the lists to play along. The lists simply tell us which registered members have volunteered to take a turn selecting a block. Any registered board member can volunteer for a turn. Simply send a PM to Sulabug, who will update the list.

7. Our Block of the Month activities are NOT swaps.

Thank you again for your patience in reading this lengthy information.

Sew Happy,
Sulabug
Old 12-28-2011, 07:36 AM

Ok, I am going to try the BOM this year. One block a month should be do-able. This sounds so fun!!

Linda58
Old 12-28-2011, 07:49 AM

I was thinking of doing this on my blog, but went a different direction instead. Count me in.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:35 AM

I would love to try this.
Old 12-28-2011, 09:29 AM

I have never participated in this before. Let me see if i understand. The blocks will be posted and we can pick which ones we want to do. Is this correct. Can we do more then one block pattern each month. Im not slow just new
Old 12-28-2011, 09:30 AM

I'm in. I didn't get all of the houses done, but sure love the ones I finished. Love to learn new techniques, though never did get the paper piecing down very well.
Old 12-28-2011, 09:32 AM

To subscribe to the thread, you must use the "Thread Tools" icon above, it has a down arrow. Select it and then go to subscribe threads. It will ask you how you want them. I do daily on most, but some I like each time someone posts. Then select to be 'subscribed" and then you will get updates in your email if that is what you selected. Hope that helps. There is a help section on here that is under the home button and then at bottom saying something like learning new board. It helps.
Welcome aboard.[
QUOTE=mona202;4817608]I am a new quilter ( I have only done 3 projects and they were squares basically so I won't be doing any suggesting but I would like to follow along and see what each block is and learn from doing a block a month. I think I could accomplish it! However, I don't want to be held responsible for getting anything done or posting anything for any one else. Does that sound mean? I just dont want another obligation as I take care of my Dad who has Alzheimers and lives with us, I work full time and have a family so I dont want to commit to anything. I do however, want to try to make a block each month to learn different processes. Will the blocks be able to be done by beginners? Can I still participate by getting the block choice and the pattern? Can you send me COMPLETE, Quilt Board for Dummies directions on how to access them, post the pics of completion etc? Do I have to use certain colors or is it my choice? Can you tell I haven't done this before? teeehee Any light you can shed will be appreciated.[/QUOTE]