Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Bonnie Hunter "Easy Street" thread?

What size easy angle ruler do we need?
    Nina

Quote Originally Posted by vintage cowgirl View Post
    What size easy angle ruler do we need?
    The 6" or 6 1/2" one. I'm not home so don't know the exact size. Not the big one.
    "You have enough quilts made when your soul is filled, your creativity satisfied and your fingers just won't work anymore."

Thank you Jeanie. I have never done a mystery quilt before.
    Nina

vintage - Bonnie will explain how to use the rulers and will have photos so you can see how they are used.
    "You have enough quilts made when your soul is filled, your creativity satisfied and your fingers just won't work anymore."

You can just ignore her tool requirements, I do. She loves to use those particular tools, but I find them annoying and cumbersome. You can make these quilts she does your own way without the tools.

Thought I'd share this with you.

Suzanne

Quote Originally Posted by Elisabrat View Post
    I just checked out a couple of her others. Wow this one takes a LOT of fabric belfry. I think I will pass mostly because of the required grid tools. those things are out of my budget range. I am fortunate to have a mat, a rotary cutter, a 14 inch omni grid ruler and one 60 degree triangle. that sums up my specialty tools. The Christmas one she did was simple and pretty and certainly not only a holiday pattern.

You are correct Suzanne - she gives information on how to cut without the rulers. Personally, I find them easy to use, and the pieces are so accurate.

I too thought that it was way to much fabric but a friend who saw her during one of her webcam sessions, said that it was because of the number of seams. I just got her book Leaders and Enders and Bonnie suggests that the front would require 25% more than the back. Fourteen yards seems like more than that but I suspect some of the extra does allow for having a nice variety of fabric in each color. I think it was in the first thread mentioning Easy Street that one quilter who has done earlier mystery quilts suggested that 13 different prints in each color is ideal. I haven't gotten that many but it did make me push the envelop and get more than I had first planned. I got a new blade for my rotary cutter yesterday and am looking forward to Friday's kickoff.

I don't have nearly that much fabric. I have about 6-7 of each color. I finally got all my black on whites - I had none! I won't be home until Saturday. So will probably not get to start until Sunday or Monday. I hope Bonnie's first clue is an easy one! LOL

[QUOTE=gardnergal970;5669765 I think it was in the first thread mentioning Easy Street that one quilter who has done earlier mystery quilts suggested that 13 different prints in each color is ideal. I haven't gotten that many but it did make me push the envelop and get more than I had first planned. I got a new blade for my rotary cutter yesterday and am looking forward to Friday's kickoff.[/QUOTE]

Yikes! I only have 4 of each. Hope that will work as I can't justify spending any more money on this project. I'm making mine half size, but that was still a lot of fabric to buy as I only had the aqua and a couple of the b/w in my stash.

Blog Entries

My Easy Street fabric

I'm in on Easy Street. I did the Orca bay and am really looking forward to this one.
    I'm following Bonnies colors, will post pics on my blog as I go to link it to Bonnie's site as she had us do last time. Looking forward to seeing what everyone else is doing too!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by pjnesler; 11-20-2012 at 05:18 PM.

Name:  photo-47.JPG
Views: 506
Size:  335.8 KBHere are my fabrics for Easy Street. Using the paint chips really helped me sort through all the choices at my LQS. I need to get my cutting table cleared and ready for Friday!

Ohhhhh so pretty gardnergal! Love, love, love your fabrics!

Super Member frustratedquilter40's Avatar
    So far I love everyone's choice of fabrics and colors I have mine in a stack do not have a lot of purple so thinking about using pink in the place of purple as I have lots of pink. Still thinking and must shop the stash but oranges, purples I just do not have a lot of or white on black but I think I have enough to make that work. Can't wait have never done Bonnie's mysteries and at least she said it is easier than here others so hopefully I will finish it
    ​Christine

Blog Entries
    I am doing this mystery quilt, my first one. Got all the fabric ready except that I need a few more black on white fabrics. I can't wait to see how the whole thing turns out, excited to get started on it.

Friday can't get here soon enough!

Blog Entries
    Will try to post my fabrics after Thanksgiving. Love some of the choices posted.

Yep! I'm in too! I've changed some of the fabric colors. Guess I'm just a rebel rouser that way - - -

I hope the MODERATOR makes a seperate link for this thread.

Happy turkey day to everyone & looking forward to the big reveal!

Jane
    Jane

Step one is up: http://quiltville.com/pdf/EasyStreetPart1.pdf
    Wouldn't you know she'd start with the grey and mine isn't in yet. Ah well, I can cut the b/w strips while I wait for the grey to arrive.

Hi Belfry, I also had to order my gray, but do have 1/2 yd to get started with. We're off & running.

I am going to cut the pattern in half. I only have 5 b/w fabrics. Do you think that will be enough variety? I didn't want to buy any more fabric if I don't have to.

I'm cutting my size in half as well and I have 4 b/w. I really think that will be enough interest since these squares are so small. The same fabric will look different in each square. AND my grey fabric came in today. Yippee! I'll cut tonight and start sewing tomorrow. I'd really like to try and keep up with this one.

I need some advice as to which colors to use. Also need to know if my gray is too dark. Maybe I'm over thinking this too. The prints in the back are ones I'm considering for a border. The 4 upfront are the ones I need to narrow down. I want to use the purples but don't know which 2 of the other 3 to use. HELP I haven't done mystery quilts very often & it's hard for me to give up control. I'm trying to do this so as to broaden out in my skills but do need some advice from those of you who are the experts. ThanksName:  Quilt easy street 055.JPG
Views: 279
Size:  156.9 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by pokeyscorner; 11-23-2012 at 01:40 PM. Reason: change pic

P.S. Also are there any that don't look right in each colorway?

Love your colours -- they are so rich looking. I really like the golden yellow instead of orange. It seems to "lighten" the grey somewhat. After seeing step one, I think we can get away with a darker grey than I first thought as the squares are so small. I love your purples-wish mine were that deep. The only one I question is the second from the top. It might be the way the light hits it, but the stripes just seem to jump out against the others.

Thanks so much Belfry-- I was worried about the stripped one also. Think I will remove it. It's also directional & I'd hate to have to worry about it the whole 6 - 8 weeks. Yippee, my DH just got the mail & the rest of my gray fabric is in.
    Thanks so much for the help

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast