Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Bonnie Hunter "Easy Street" thread?

Wish I'd seen the Lauder video BEFORE I cut all my strips 2"
    Oh, well I'll get more "accuracy in cutting" practice making those 4 patches. I'm 1/3 done.

Blog Entries
    I am in this year. I have watched previous years and always kicked myself for not trying one of her patterns. I decided to do a Christmas theme, so my colors are red, green, gold with a gingerbread brown "constant" and cream background. I hope this works well. So far I have my step one cut and halfway sewn. Just need time to finish the twosies. I was glad to see an easy step to start the process.

Someone commented on the estimated yardage - if I remember correctly, the estimate had a quarter yard "fudge factor" per color. This will be a big quilt, so the yardage seemed about right, especially if she uses any quick corners because those eat up yardage. Also consider what is in the seam allowances. The smaller the pieces, more ends up on the back. Ie 1/2" finished strip will have as much showing on the front as is in the seam allowance.

I am finally home. These are my fabrics - now to find time to get started!

Attached Images Attached Images
    "You have enough quilts made when your soul is filled, your creativity satisfied and your fingers just won't work anymore."

Blog Entries
    Jeanie, great job getting your fabrics together. Still gathering mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Belfrybat View Post
    I'm taking her suggestion and doing half the amount. When she does the reveal I can decide how to put it together then. I only do lap sized quilts. As to the special tools, I understand she also gives directions for those of us who are tool challenged. After getting burned on buying a flying geese ruler, I've decided no special tools for me unless I see them up close and personal beforehand.
    They sell them at JoAnn's for just a few dollars. I bought them yrs ago, never used them. Now I have a reason to pull them out. lol
    p.s. I LOVE my flying geese ruler.
    have been happily divorced from the same guy for 39 years now! Yay!

Blog Entries
    Washed, ironed and ready to go. Just waiting for the grey to arrive.

I never prewash, but found some $1 fat quarters at Joann's this weekend to add to the stash. I decided to wash everything so that they would play nice together. Joann's also has the suggested rulers on sale for 50% off. I think the prices are good through the weekend.

Fraew

"I don't buy vintage quilts. By the time I finish the quilts I've started they've already become antiques." ~ Mark Lipinski
    Link to my albums: http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...85-albums.html

JeanieG I love your fabrics, wish I was joining you on this one but sadly I have to pass, just too too much to finish.
    Karen

Fraew-I like your grey. I'm afraid to wash those fat quarters as I worry I'll lose too much material with fraying. Anyone have some suggestions? I'll take a pic of mine soon.
    The Potomac Quilter
    Innova 26 with Lightning Stitch and Autopilot

Jeanie & Fraew...what beautiful colors. Last week I was dreaming about cutting into the bright colors to see how they would play against each other. I'm still dreaming...quite literally. Last night dreamt that the next step was to....no I better not say or someone will get mixed up and do it that way instead of the real way.
    xtgirl...if you really want to wash, you can do them by hand in the sink. That would be gentle enough to avoid most fraying. I've also heard that putting them in a pillowcase in the regular wash helps. I've never done either.

Bonnie is having a Quilt cam for those of you who watch them today at 2pm Eastern time. I will be working on my Step 1 while watching her this afternoon.
    Brooke

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Xtgirl View Post
    Fraew-I like your grey. I'm afraid to wash those fat quarters as I worry I'll lose too much material with fraying. Anyone have some suggestions? I'll take a pic of mine soon.
    Thanks. I had a nice sized ball of thread after washing but they were almost all fat quarters. I even washed some layer cake pieces...glad I did because they shrunk to 9.25 x 9.75!!!!

I would also like to hear some tricks to minimize fraying; delicates netted bag didn't work any better for me.
    Fraew

"I don't buy vintage quilts. By the time I finish the quilts I've started they've already become antiques." ~ Mark Lipinski
    Link to my albums: http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...85-albums.html

My fabric

This is not the best picture. Here are my fabrics. I am making half the size since this is my first myster quilt. The greens didn't turn out the true colors.

These are my color choices. Some of my purples are quite blue..hope that ends up working. I think I'm going to start by making half to hope that I can stick with it. When will part 2 go up so I can give myself a deadline?
    The Potomac Quilter

Wow, what beautiful color choices everyone. Xtgirl - she will post the updates on Friday mornings.
    "You have enough quilts made when your soul is filled, your creativity satisfied and your fingers just won't work anymore."

Blog Entries
    Yes, gorgeous choices Xtgirl

So, did you use all your black and whites and grey? Trying to figure out if I should have some left after this step...
    The Potomac Quilter

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Xtgirl View Post
    So, did you use all your black and whites and grey? Trying to figure out if I should have some left after this step...
    There will be leftover. I used just over a yard of my constant (grey) on this step.

Blog Entries

Step 1 blocks all cut for Easy Street

The blocks are all cut, now to get them ironed! I did get a few set up to show for now, hope to have them all ironed by tomorrow. This is just what I needed to get back in the swing of things again.

Well I have cut all the white/black and grey and cut and sewn the twosies. Now to make them into four patches over the next few nights ready for clue 2 on Friday (Saturday here in Australia) There are some gorgeous colours posted. I have gone with Bonnie's choices but in yardages. I think I've got 3 or 4 of different prints per colour except the purple I have about six. I found the turquoise the hardest to get? This is so much fun.
    Everyday is a good day for Quilting!

JeanieG....can oddball 2" squares of appropiate colors be used in this....I have alot of small bits and would like to use them in this..... my photo shows some of what I'll be using if I decide to continue...I keep on adding projects....I'll be busy for the next couple of years at the rate I'm going!!!!

Honchey...I love your fabric!

My parents were visiting for the long Thanksgiving weekend. I told Mom about the mystery and she decided to participate as well. We worked together to make 384 (plus a few extras) cute little grey and assorted white-on-white 4-patches. We also did a little bit of fabric shopping over the weekend as well...oops!

We are now ready for the next clue!

I'll try to post pictures later of my 4-patches and fabric choices.
    Laurlyn
    Innova 26" w/LS

Honchey, wow - pretty fabric! Bonnie says use your scraps, so if she has another clue that uses 2" squares, you won't have to cut any. I have a lot of 2" squares in a bin that I could use as well.

I think this new mystery from Bonnie just might get me sewing again! I've had health challenges this past year and just stopped sewing - nothing interested me - but hopefully this will do the trick. Have to add some black on whites to my stash but I'm excited for the first time in a long time.

I love everyone's choices. I got about half the four patches made up but haven't pressed yet, so no pics. My grey is lighter than what I'm seeing on here but the closest Lowes is 70 miles away so was working off a printed copy of the chips. But I figure however it ends up, it will be fine.

Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 14 ... LastLast