Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 19 ... LastLast

Thread: Bonnie Hunter "Easy Street" thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Belfrybat View Post
    Thank you. For those still looking, the link is: http://quiltville.blogspot.com/
    Thanks Belfrybat, I couldn't get step 3 to show either. Now I have it printed and I'm off to cut cut cut, sew sew sew!!
    SheriR~

~If you can't turn the corners of your mouth up...let the middle sag!~

"Be not afraid, only believe."

Thank you Belfrybat, Part 3 is not listed on the front page of her site, therefore I thought it was not up yet...Happy I check QB before signing off... Happy Piecing..

Judy in Phx, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by SheriR View Post
    Thanks Belfrybat, I couldn't get step 3 to show either. Now I have it printed and I'm off to cut cut cut, sew sew sew!!

I have everything cut. Now to service my machine, change thread and sew. I can't believe how much I look forward to Friday mornings now. I did control myself and had breakfast with DH before I peeked at this weeks clue. It's fun to use more colors.

Quote Originally Posted by gardnergal970 View Post
    I have everything cut. Now to service my machine, change thread and sew. I can't believe how much I look forward to Friday mornings now. I did control myself and had breakfast with DH before I peeked at this weeks clue. It's fun to use more colors.
    Oh yes, it is something to look forward every Friday for a few more weeks!
    "You have enough quilts made when your soul is filled, your creativity satisfied and your fingers just won't work anymore."

Blog Entries
    My step three is all cut and ready to go. I am starting to see why Bonnie keeps so many 2"strips. It would speed the process to open a drawer and go. It still almost gives me the hives to cut down larger pieces just to have strips on hand. Mybe by the time we are done with this mystery, I'll be ok to start strip bins.

NDQuilts - I don't cut down any of my larger pieces of fabric. The only thing that goes into my 2" strip bin is fabric left over from other projects, that is smaller than a fat quarter. I even fold some of those and put with my smaller pieces. I just finished working on The Farmer's Wife Sampler Quilt and the Farmer's Wife Pony Club Quilt with others here on the board. As we were working on 6" blocks with the sampler, and 8" blocks with the Pony Club I used a lot of very small pieces in those blocks. Those small pieces came in very handy.

I got the purple squares cut and the strips cut for the turquoise triangles. We are heading out of town to watch our team play basketball, so I'm done for the night!
    "You have enough quilts made when your soul is filled, your creativity satisfied and your fingers just won't work anymore."

Me, too, NDQuilts! I'm just convinced that as soon as I cut a lot of 2" strips I'll need 2-1/4" strips. I don't think there are any patterns out there that call for 2-1/4" strips, but you know what I mean!

Yeah, have 16 blocks from Part 3 made today, they came out at 3-1/2 square. I used the easy angle to make these. I also used the two rulers for Part II and trim the flying geese with the "Quilt in a Day" flying geese ruler to trim made it really easy to center the goose. Now to make more 4 patch units.

Have a great weekend

Judy in Phx, AZ

I'm going to shock everyone, but I'm not going to do step #3 her way. I own those rulers, but just can do things her way (maybe she is right brained and I am left brained). That's my excuse and I'm sticking with it

I'm going to do HST's (half square triangles), so mine will end up being a 4 patch. Top row will be a square on the left and a HST on the right. Bottom row will be a HST on the left and a square on the right.

I'm NOT using scraps, so all my fabrics for the blue would be the same, the background the same, etc. I have the "Triangulations" software, so will just print out the HST size I need and sew them that way. It is so speedy and the exact size you need always happens. To me, personally, this is the quickest and most precise way for me to do this step.

Thought I'd share in case anyone else just wants to turn their heads away from this project because of those rulers.

Suzanne in VT

Suzanne-could you post picture of your way..or the end result. I'm intrigued. I'm still on step 1....

Could someone explain the spinning of the seam/pinwheeling the seam. I read the explanations and I just don't understand what she means. I am sewing tithe same every time with the dark fabric leading....
    The Potomac Quilter
    Innova 26 with Lightning Stitch and Autopilot

Once you get the 4 patch made and before you do any pressing, go to the back and take out about 2 stitches of the seams that you crossed with the last seam when you joined the two. After those two stitches are removed, lay the 4 patch flat face down and that last seam will almost effortlessly go opposite ways and you will see the cute little checker pattern where the seams meet. If it doesn't go flat, there might be another stitch that needs to be removed. Now press with half of the seam going north and half of the seam going south. I didn't understand this well for awhile either but now that I finally figured it out, I like the finish I get with that extra step.
    BTW...I have step three completed except for pressing about half of the blocks. Loved working with another color and can't wait to see what we do with the green.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanne in VT View Post
    I'm going to shock everyone, but I'm not going to do step #3 her way. I own those rulers, but just can do things her way (maybe she is right brained and I am left brained). That's my excuse and I'm sticking with it
    I'm going to do HST's (half square triangles), so mine will end up being a 4 patch. Top row will be a square on the left and a HST on the right. Bottom row will be a HST on the left and a square on the right.
    Suzanne in VT
    No shock here -- but I would like to see in-the-works pics. I don't have her rulers but do a have flying geese one I used for the last step but still ended up with a bunch of wonky geese (about 1 in 6).

Quote Originally Posted by Xtgirl View Post
    Suzanne-could you post picture of your way..or the end result. I'm intrigued. I'm still on step 1....

Could someone explain the spinning of the seam/pinwheeling the seam. I read the explanations and I just don't understand what she means. I am sewing tithe same every time with the dark fabric leading....
    It took me a while to understand it. But if you gentle pull on the center of the block where the seams meet, and then twist it a bit, it begins to form the pinwheel. It only works one way, and it took me a bit to figure that out. But once I did it was easy and I like the fact the center lays flat.

I was on the quiltville yahoo group this morning and saw that someone is doing their step 3 differently from bonnie. If you don't have the special rulers this would be an easy way to go. I might do this anyways as I wouldn't have to worry about the bias this way as much either.
    www.stitchingcircle.com/?p=1270
    Brooke

Thanks, Brookmarie. I've never seen this technique and I can't wait to try it. I've already cut Step 3, but maybe she'll do the same block with the green fabric.

Quote Originally Posted by brookemarie19 View Post
    I was on the quiltville yahoo group this morning and saw that someone is doing their step 3 differently from bonnie. If you don't have the special rulers this would be an easy way to go. I might do this anyways as I wouldn't have to worry about the bias this way as much either.
    That looks really easy.

I would love your measurements. You make it sound easy.

THAT being said...I cut step 2 and step 3 WITH Bonnie's rulers. Last year they drove me nutty, but for some reason, this year I get Her. I like zero waste and IF I cut accurately, my geese turned out great. Last night I HAD to see how my red played with my purple. Everything was cut so I quickly sewed a few up. I must say, I'm excited!! Below are pictures for step 1 complete and the start of step 2
    Attached Images Attached Images

SheriR~

Blog Entries
    Sheri, your colors are great!

Blog Entries
    SheriR that's gonna be really pretty! I wasn't brave enough to pick my own colors for my first mystery. It takes alot of bravery for me to let Bonnie pick my pattern and colors! He He
    Fraew

"I don't buy vintage quilts. By the time I finish the quilts I've started they've already become antiques." ~ Mark Lipinski
    Link to my albums: http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...85-albums.html

Every year at valentines day, when I shop at my Macy's they decorate in red and purple. I just have fallen in love with the colors! I hope they end up happy together!
    SheriR~

Thanks, that makes a lot more sense than the blog..now I can try it. I'm still in the middle of sewing step 1 so it may still be a while.

Once you get the 4 patch made and before you do any pressing, go to the back and take out about 2 stitches of the seams that you crossed with the last seam when you joined the two. After those two stitches are removed, lay the 4 patch flat face down and that last seam will almost effortlessly go opposite ways and you will see the cute little checker pattern where the seams meet. If it doesn't go flat, there might be another stitch that needs to be removed. Now press with half of the seam going north and half of the seam going south. I didn't understand this well for awhile either but now that I finally figured it out, I like the finish I get with that extra step.
    BTW...I have step three completed except for pressing about half of the blocks. Loved working with another color and can't wait to see what we do with the green.
    The Potomac Quilter
    Innova 26 with Lightning Stitch and Autopilot

I am still finishing up step 1. I had to stop to do a square for the boom8 and to make my Doll Quilt. Then I had wonderful company stop by. My Grt niece and her two little girls. So not much sewing. BUT today looks like it might be a Jammy day and i will sew all day. (as soon as my daughter downstairs wakes up). Got to catch up. I love step 3. The colors that is.
    Dreaming of New England while being stuck in So. Calif.(the asphalt jungle of the world.) But hey the Happiest Place on Earth is here.

Quote Originally Posted by Fraew View Post
    SheriR that's gonna be really pretty! I wasn't brave enough to pick my own colors for my first mystery. It takes alot of bravery for me to let Bonnie pick my pattern and colors! He He
    I'm with you Fraew! This is my 3rd Mystery with Bonnie, and I feel no way qualified to pick colors for a quilt I don't know what it will look like!

You don't have to take out those stitches gardnergal! I just flip that block over, and hold the right side of the last stitching line down, and the left side just flip it up. That will make what looks like a tiny four patch in the middle. It only takes a second when you get the hang of it.

I'm NOT using scraps, so all my fabrics for the blue would be the same, the background the same, etc. I have the "Triangulations" software, so will just print out the HST size I need and sew them that way. It is so speedy and the exact size you need always happens. To me, personally, this is the quickest and most precise way for me to do this step.

Thought I'd share in case anyone else just wants to turn their heads away from this project because of those rulers.

Suzanne in VT
    I used the Triangulations software last year when we had a lot of half square triangles to do. It does work great, and the triangles come out perfect. I printed it on newsprint (which I also use for paper piecing) as it comes off so easily. For those that don't know Triangulations is a software program that prints on paper, then you line up 8 1/2 x 11 pieces of fabric with front sides facing, place the paper one top and just sew on the lines that are printed. When you finish sewing on the lines, then there are other lines that you rotary cut and you get perfect half square triangles. This software has all different sizes of quarter square and half square triangles.

Quote Originally Posted by brookemarie19 View Post
    THANK YOU! That looks like a much easier method for me to follow.

Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 19 ... LastLast