Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Dear Jane Cyber Block Party D5, G10, H1, BR2 Pics >

Dear Jane Cyber Block Party D5, G10, H1, BR2 Pics

Dear Jane Cyber Block Party D5, G10, H1, BR2 Pics

Old 01-10-2010, 09:52 AM

Hi, here are my week two blocks, they are slow to arrive because I loaned my camera to DS Tom to take into town for pics of this friends etc, and have only just wrestled it back off him - another life lesson learned! I am so badly bitten by the 'Jane' bug... Roll on tomorrow! I hope this is the right place for them - I thought we were having a seperate box each week?

Oh Dear Jane - week 2
[ATTACH=CONFIG]65440[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-65435.jpe  
Old 01-10-2010, 09:53 AM
Banned

i don't cut out shapes for paper piecing mostly because i don't like the extra time it takes.

i use strips the width of the fabric to do paper piecing. i determine what height would be good for the block and i cut the strip.

i found that it did help tremendously with the waste since you cut every single section from the strip right at the 1/4 inch seam line.

this method still has some waste (its not like traditional strip piecing with zero waste) its not as wasteful as traditional paper piece where you cut out each shape with extra fabric all around the edges.
Old 01-10-2010, 09:54 AM
Banned

blue

you're blocks look beautiful. the colors are so bright and cheery.
Old 01-10-2010, 09:56 AM
Banned

WOW sarah

they look great!

you've posted them in the right location.
Old 01-10-2010, 09:57 AM
Banned

its just killing me, i love everyone's blocks/triangles.

every time i see a set, i keep saying i need to make a jane like that.

now i'm up to about 20 different styles janes i want to make.

its just killing me!
Old 01-10-2010, 09:58 AM

Klue, I have found the same thing this week, it saves ages of messing about with different sized bits. Strangely I have also found that I have to snip my machine threads with scissors because if I use the machine cutter (don't know what else to call it) where on the Bernina the threads are held there to keep them tidy, it causes the fabric to buckle if they are only little pieces, much muttering later I am getting used to using little scissors instead. Does anyone else find this?
Old 01-10-2010, 10:02 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by sarahelloyd
Klue, I have found the same thing this week, it saves ages of messing about with different sized bits. Strangely I have also found that I have to snip my machine threads with scissors because if I use the machine cutter (don't know what else to call it) where on the Bernina the threads are held there to keep them tidy, it causes the fabric to buckle if they are only little pieces, much muttering later I am getting used to using little scissors instead. Does anyone else find this?
i'm using scissors to snip the threads too instead of the machine thread cutter.

having long tails are better for paper piecing and the long tails just get trimmed off when you trim down the paper piecing units.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:07 AM

Great looking blocks Sara! I snip my threads with sissors too. Just seems to work better for me!
Old 01-10-2010, 11:09 AM

Great job on your second set of blocks Blue. Your points look great and I just love how fun the fabric is.

Sarah - Great blocks! Your finished quilt is going to be striking with those colors.

Originally Posted by sarahelloyd
Funny, I normally HATE the automatic thread snipper on my machine & use small scissors and bits of fabric "tails" instead. Yet I'm finding it actually works with the paper piecing. It might be because my paper is too heavy a weight. I'm using regular copier paper, though I've explained to hubby how I 'need' to get a lighter weight paper. (hint, hint!) ;) It may not work as well with a lightweight paper as it does the heavier sizes.
Old 01-10-2010, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by BlueChicken
And my second set is done, finally! I'll be glad to see the back end of that triangle, I swear!

Have to admit though, that it's come out a lot better than the one I made that's the wrong size, so maybe it's just as well I had to redo it. ;-)
These are great Blue! I think you've nailed that damn triangle! Yippee!!!!!!!!!!!