Dear Jane I9, K9, M8, & TR5 pics

Dear Jane I9, K9, M8, & TR5 pics

Old 01-05-2010, 11:22 AM

beeeeeaaaauuutiful
Old 01-05-2010, 11:26 AM
Banned

wow marine they look great! love the lace table cloth
Old 01-05-2010, 11:37 AM

Those are beautiful Marinemom!!!!!! Amazing work. I am secretly envious that your Jane will be all hand-pieced!! hehe But I know I wouldn't have the stamina to complete the project if I tried. :) I really look forward to yours progressing along!
Old 01-05-2010, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by cheriffic
here are my four for the first week YaHoooo! mine are bigger I am doing 6 in blocks. I have noticed that the sizes vary by a 16th (small) here and there I guess I will have to take that into account when doing the sashings. I think I may follow Blue and do them as I go as well for just that reason. Not sure why it does it I am sewing directly on the lines :?:

Anyone know the pros and cons o cotton thread? I am using 100% cotton thread thought I heard it was not a good idea.
Well anyhoo here they night all work in the AM :thumbdown:
100% cotton thread is the recommended way to go when using 100% cotton fabric. That said, the polyester threads that are made today are not as damaging to cotton fabrics as they used to be, though if you talk to someone working at a thread factory they will tell you not to mix them. Me, I mainly use pure cotton threads when piecing but I tend to mix my threads when quilting. As you'll see by the responses you get, everyone does things differently. If it works for you and last over the long term, then go with it. Just don't use the cheap thread and you should be fine. :wink: Your blocks are gorgeous!! I love how the white just pops right out.

Originally Posted by BlueChicken
I'm surprised at just how hard it is to move out of my comfort zone. It's really been bugging me.

Now I'm determined to do it just to prove to myself I can! lol
Blue, try an organized scrappy. That's what I'm planning, once my software gets here. (Should be here tomorrow, yay!!!!!) I want my quilt to have the color graduate from one to another, but I'm using the scraps from my scrap pile. (Darn pile is bigger than I am! If I get lost, someone come dig me out.) Once you decide how you want your colors to go, then dig through your scraps and find what matches. Or, if you want to be completely scrappy, put all your scraps in a bag and without peeking, reach in and pick out a scrap for the next block. :thumbup:

Marinemom - those are great blocks! I love that you are hand piecing them and I wish I could do it too, but my hands would simply not hold up. Not to mention the fact that I've already got a quilt or two I need to hand piece, plus applique I'm trying to get done. ...Never enough time and too many projects! :lol:
Old 01-05-2010, 12:08 PM

All the blocks are gorgeous and so different, there are going to be some stunning quilts.
Old 01-05-2010, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Marinemom2J
Here are my blocks for this week. Having the software to print off the templates is making this sooo much easier to hand piece!
You're hand piecing?!? WOW! They look awesome, well done!
Old 01-05-2010, 01:17 PM

Thanks everyone.
Well I am glad about the thread. It is the good stuff Thimbleberries 100% cotton. So I should be fine. I think I saw it on an antique quilt restore show or something. I am gonna just worry about the finish for now the after I am gone can be my kids prob lol

Marinemom wow very nice blocks and HP'd God luv ya.
Cher
Old 01-05-2010, 02:02 PM

Location: keeping the home fire burning and waiting for my son's safe return

Thank you everyone for your kind words. I love my husband to death, but his response of "uh huh" when I proudly showed him my finished blocks was a bit of a let down. :)
Old 01-05-2010, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Marinemom2J
Thank you everyone for your kind words. I love my husband to death, but his response of "uh huh" when I proudly showed him my finished blocks was a bit of a let down. :)
I know that feeling! :-)

I sat hubby down a while ago and told him he needed to listen, that I was embarking on this massive project and he'd better pay attention because I was not going to explain it over and over during the next year or so. Then I outlined Jane and the quilt and told him about the cyber sew. To his credit, he took it all in and now when I hold up a block he'll say "is that for Jane's quilt" and offer the appropriate praise! LOL
Old 01-05-2010, 02:22 PM
Banned

my DH is a DJ expert now. he could give lectures to guilds on the subject at this point.