Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Dear Jane Stickle 2d Cyber Block Party - January 2012

Blog Entries
    I'll join to make more progress on my Jane UFO. Not sure that I can do 3 but I am going to play along.

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltswithConvicts
    Quote Originally Posted by mhunt1717
    I am interested! Don't know about the three a week plan, but I can try!
    The first group is how I got my Baby top finished. The ladies were so encouraging & helpful. I have her in the hand quilting stage now, waiting for cooler weather to return.

It really is more fun to quilt with a group - even one as spread out as we all are.

Enjoy the journey!
    Where's your avatar Kathy?? ooops there it is - wow when I first read your post there was none - that's weird - now I can't delete my message :oops:

Quote Originally Posted by DottyD
    Hi, WOW - this is JUST what I need - ?3 a week - I will try - may be a tight squeeze - will see. I started my DJ in 2007 and then lapsed for a while. I have now done 102 blocks please see my link below - and am using Christmas fabric. I would find being given a block to do may be the push I need to get out of my comfort zone --- thank you
    WOW Dot!! I checked your link - it is awesome! Can anyone use that layout?? Do you know whether it has a copyright?

love the dancing smileys as well :lol:

What is the freezer paper "on top" method to applicate?

Blog Entries
    I am a drop out from the first group, but I have the software, the rulers and the velum paper. I do want to do this quilt, but I'm also doing AOTH right now. Not sure I want to take on two big projects at the same time, so we will see.

Dotty, I love the link you put for your blocks. Is that something people with the software can do? I have a scanner, do you scan them and put them in place?

I am very happy you are going to have a 2nd round of this! :thumbup:

Quote Originally Posted by Cre8tvlwyr
    Hi, WOW - this is JUST what I need - ?3 a week - I will try - may be a tight squeeze - will see. I started my DJ in 2007 and then lapsed for a while. I have now done 102 blocks please see my link below - and am using Christmas fabric. I would find being given a block to do may be the push I need to get out of my comfort zone --- thank you
    WOW Dot!! I checked your link - it is awesome! Can anyone use that layout?? Do you know whether it has a copyright?

love the dancing smileys as well :lol:
    Hi Cre8tvlwyr,
    Thank you so much for your kind comments, here is a link (from the DJ website) - please pm me if you need any further help - my hubby did it for me !!

Your Baby Jane on the Virtual Design Wall

This would be the place to start in achieving your own design wall.

http://www.smastbrook.net/dj/djvdw.htm

This gives you the starting point in putting your own wall on your computer
    or uploading it to your web space given to you by your provider.

Kind regards,
    DottyD.

Count me in I am working on AOTH which I started recently and am taking DJ at my LQS which session ends in January so now I can follow along here.Yippee

Quote Originally Posted by thomp116
    I am planning to start a DJ after the new year, so this would be good for me. I think I could handle 3 a week, but ??? You never know when life will get in the way. I have adopted Bonnie Hunter's attitude......"this is not a race."
    I still have to get the book, software, etc., and try to decide what colors/fabrics to use. Thought I was all set, and then I saw the chocolate DJ. Now I'm wondering.....will do more research before the new year.
    If you go to the main dearjane.com site and go to the janiac link - or better yet go directly to:

http://www.janiac.com/

you will see many different examples of DJs - there are other photos as well, but this can give you an idea of color schemes.

... here is a link (from the DJ website) - please pm me if you need any further help - my hubby did it for me !!

Your Baby Jane on the Virtual Design Wall
    This would be the place to start in achieving your own design wall.

http://www.smastbrook.net/dj/djvdw.htm

This gives you the starting point in putting your own wall on your computer
    or uploading it to your web space given to you by your provider.
    Kind regards,
    DottyD.
    Thanks, Dotty,

and to give the rest of you more info from that link - we do have permission as 'janiacs' to use the design wall with credit to
    Sharon Mastbrook:

"This page created on July 22, 1999
    October 3, 1999, added more instructions about using the Virtual Design Wall.
    October 12, 1999, added quick link to get template.
    Updated December 7, 1999
    Updated instructions with graphics to show steps on creating a dearjane directory.
    Permission is granted for use by Dear Janers to use on his/her personal computer, website, or for use in a Dear Jane teaching class. If using for a class, please give credit to me, Sharon Mastbrook, as the creator of the Virtual Design Wall."

This is a great idea & website - Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by BettyKay
    What is the freezer paper "on top" method to applicate?
    Here is a link to a tutorial from Twiddletails:

http://www.twiddletails.com/store/in...age=page&id=21

It's a great method once you get the hang of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Annlil
    I am very interested.I actually started a week ago. I am using the book and the tutorials Chay mentioned.

I will keep an eye on the blog.

Kind regards
    Anne
    Waar in Nederland woon je??

Blog Entries
    Thank you for doing this. I have collected most of my fabrics and have been wanting to get started. This is just what I have been looking for. I was hoping someone would do this. Maybe this is the kick I need to get started. It is overwhelming to me just looking at all the blocks. Can't wait to get started.

I bought the Dear Jane book awhile back, with the intentions of doing one. This would be a great way to get started. I love the fact of doing it with other people in case I hit a snag. I also like the fact of beginning it a couple of weeks after all the hectic holiday bustle. I will check back here often.

Weeeelllll, actually, I bought the book and some fabric a few months ago....intending on having it be a winter project in the evening. Sounds like fun. I need motivation on this quilt:) Keep us informed. Thanks for the invite.

Blog Entries
    Have heard of Dear Jane but need to look more into it. ;-)

I will try to join in, I have everything, book, CD, all patterns printed off, around 500 different CW reproduction fabrics, just need time to get started, but this will be a good incentive. Two blocks per week also sounds good to me.

Super Member QuiltswithConvicts's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thimble, If it makes you feel any better, I started my baby Jane in 1997 & finished the top last year about this time. I am hand-quilting it - er, will be when it gets colder & my "Affairs of the Heart" quilt is finished. After the AOTH quilt, I must make a quilt for a large wall in DH's office in the prison. It's going to be machine pieced, so I will have the evenings to quilt & the weekends to sew.

count me in, don't know about 3 a week but will try.

Super Member Sheree from Chicago's Avatar
    This is sounding tempting!

Blog Entries
    Wow! I am a beginner but really think this will be an awesome project...will have to get the software..

it is so great to see so many interested in DJ.

i have the software as well and i love it.

those who were with me the first time around know that i could not make up my mind about a color way so i am doing 2.

one is scrappy and the other is red and blue.

to date i have approximately 72 blocks and 17 triagles.

i am very excited to continue this journey with you.

Blog Entries
    I am glad to see that someone else is having the color "problem." My first instinct was to go with the Civil War fabrics. But then I saw the chocolate Jane. Scraps would be good, because that was what Jane's original was (and I have lots of scraps). But then I think, maybe more patriotic colors because I will be doing this while my boys are away again - this time Kuwait.
    I think once I get the colors in my head, I will be able to get going!
    Maybe I should ask this.......is the intent of doing a DJ to do it as a copy of the original, or are more people doing it in other colors/fabrics?
    OR, am I over-thinking this?

Quote Originally Posted by luvmortherest
    it is so great to see so many interested in DJ.

i have the software as well and i love it.

those who were with me the first time around know that i could not make up my mind about a color way so i am doing 2.

one is scrappy and the other is red and blue.

to date i have approximately 72 blocks and 17 triagles.

i am very excited to continue this journey with you.

Blog Entries
    Its great to see so many people expressing interest! Also great to see so many familiar names who started with us last year and then life got in the way...maybe you guys can pick up where you left off!

Thomp....(as Momma of Chocolate Jane), all I can tell you is that this will be YOUR quilt...do it anyway you would like! I think most in the last go round were planning to "personalize" it. You know, even if you go scrappy...it won't be a replica of Jane's. I found that being able to buy new fabric all along the way kept me interested and kept me going. I didn't even buy the "chocolate" for mine until I had probably 75 or so blocks done.

Blog Entries
    Well, since I posted that, I talked to my son, who is one of the most likely candidates for the finished quilt. He first thought was black and gold/yellow. Would love to say that he chose that because he is "classy," but he was thinking Steeler colors!
    Welcome to my family!
    I actually kind of like the idea!

Blog Entries
    Ahhh, interesting choice! Yeah...I can see that....sure can! You might need to throw some creams in there with it though

Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast