Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: The Farmer's Wife Quilt-Along week 13 Photo Page -Blocks 25 & 26

I haven't worked on this project since October. I have a lot of catching up to do and slowly, but surely, I will. Here are my #25 and #26.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by sew cornie
    I haven't worked on this project since October. I have a lot of catching up to do and slowly, but surely, I will. Here are my #25 and #26.
    Those are spectacular Sew Cornie - just love the fabric!

Wowser! Sew cornie, Those are Beautiful!!

Sew Cornie

Welcome back! You know, slow and steady wins the race! At least I hope so, because I'm behind by over ten blocks!

Love your blocks and the colors!

QN, you can always be counted on for a word of encouragement! Thank you! The encouragement of others is much of what makes this quilt-along fun to be part of and keeps the motivation up to continue even when I'm so far behind.

And a big thanks also to all of you who recommended pressing the seams open on #26. Boy, what a help that was!

Quote Originally Posted by Quilting Nonnie
    Sew Cornie

Welcome back! You know, slow and steady wins the race! At least I hope so, because I'm behind by over ten blocks!

Love your blocks and the colors!

I thought I would share my disapointment!!!!! #25 still needs to be fixed. I tried so hard to be careful on these blocks. I even decided against a nightcap last night so these would turn out right. Tonight I think I'll have the drink because I least then it won't be as upsetting when I get something like this!!!! Hee hee it is all part of the process, that is why they sell seam rippers and why I own 5 of them :)

I think your blocks look great Fryguy! Love the colors you are using.

So I remade #25. I probably should have started from scratch because the geese so rather distorted when I ripped them out.

Quote Originally Posted by fryguymoore
    So I remade #25. I probably should have started from scratch because the geese so rather distorted when I ripped them out.
    Your block turned out great! I have several blocks I'm working on and in my haste to get them done..HST's going in the wrong direction...I discovered that spraying with starch or water ...letting them sit for a few minutes...pat them into their original shapes... then pressing them works for me...that's if they aren't destroyed after ripping them out :-) Anne

#25 -- Cups and Saucers
    and
    #26 Cut Glass Dish

And now ........... I'm off to post my first 25 in the grouping thread!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!

Blog Entries
    Just looked at all the blocks. You gals have done a fantastic job! So interesting to see how the designs look different because of different fabric choices.
    JanRN, in regards to eye for color. It comes with practice and this is a great way to practice. Another way is to take scraps and make up several combinations of the same block. A wonderful way to create a "color study".
    QE, love the green background with these two. The blue looks so "electric" in the C&S.
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    I donate quilts to the AAQI.

Blog Entries
    Here's my two blocks. I have done the Cups and Saucers in a 4" size for my DIL and the 6" size was definitely easier!!
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho

Gladie, 4" size! Both are beauties, too! Are you making a mini quilt with the little ones? Do you make your own smaller patterns? N.
    jillnjo

As always, nicely done ther OKSGlad!!!

Oh how that 4" Cup and Saucer must have been quite a challenge! Although I guess that seems huge for you, compared do doing your true Minis!
    I think I'm going to have to start calling you MissMinnie? or MinnieMouse? or perhaps MinniePearl?

Glad you found time for some sewing therapy today!!!!!

Blog Entries
    I made the 4" for a spring table runner done in aqua and dark peach. No pic sorry. I've had these done for a while just got around to taking pics.Glad you found us jillnjo. Cat's out of the bag--she's been working on these and now we want to see her pics, right?
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho

Yup and Yup!!!

Odd that you anticipated our asking for a photo!
    *hint* I bet DIL would take a picture *hint*!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, I'll come out of hiding and post my photos of the 63 blocks I completed in 2011. I'd love to finish in a hurry, but that rarely happens! I have a stash of CW prints big enough to make......well, way more than one!! Hehe. What color of sashing looks right to you? I haven't bought any, but can't seem to imagine beyond brown.Name:  Late 2011-Early 2012 037 (Small).jpg
Views: 76
Size:  100.6 KBName:  Late 2011-Early 2012 036 (Small).jpg
Views: 72
Size:  98.4 KBName:  Late 2011-Early 2012 035 (Small).jpg
Views: 77
Size:  101.1 KB
    Last edited by jillnjo; 01-03-2012 at 09:43 AM.
    jillnjo

JillNJo ... WOW! Why so shy and in the closet til now?
    You've done a wonderful job and they look oh so nice together.

Sashing? .... you know what? I kind of like what you have there already! It looks so soft and light, more feminine like. Yes, it's carpet, but what about a neutral in a similar grey or maybe a little bit darker? A tone on tone? Or a nothing print that reads as solid or tone on tone?

Or if you want darker and maybe a bit more dramatic, what about the brick red you've used in the quilt? or the burgundy?
    I considered a bright navy for mine, before deciding on the green. That might be nice too ... or the steely mid blue?

Try auditioning with different fabrics from your stash or pack up your blocks and head off to your LQS to try some there.

I think the sashing can make or break our work to look better or destroy it. I'm quite happy with my green, though not totally convinced all is right when I start adding in the cornerstones and setting triangles.

Glad to have you along with us for FWS. Are you going to start the PC too?

Blog Entries
    Oh so nicely done, N! And beautifully pieced as well, I know your work. I'm laughing as I don't see any of my CW prints in yours. Like you I have lots of them to work with. We should see how many quilts we can get out of the scraps once we are done with this one! How many different CW prints are out there????

Like QE I like the muted gray/beige of your carpet, then thought a green might be the ticket to balance the few greens you have. Your reds/pinks and blues really vary in intensity and might be hard to find just the right color to set off these lovely blocks. I like to audition colors for sashing first, too.

I better get sewing to catch up with you!
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho

You know, just thinking about what you both have said really helps me see the possibilities for sashing. I like the idea of the grey tone and also the red tone. I pretty much know that when I have all 111 blocks made that the quilt will look about the same as it does now because I will keep using more of the same tones, ect. I try to even out all the different colors as I add more blocks. I like that brighter blue, somehow it pleases me! I just quickly laid the blocks down and to take the time to distribute the color better will balance it more. I don't plan on making the PC blocks now, anyway. I have dreams of aquiring skills in needle-turn applique! Okay, I admitted it! I imagine myself hovering over my Baltimore Album quilt and pointing to all the intricate details! To say it almost terrifies me, because I doubt myself, even if I had the skill, would I like to do it? Anyway, I'll enjoy the remaining blocks in the FWQ. How do you plan to quilt your quilts? By hand? N.
    jillnjo

I want to thank you for your compliments on my blocks! I look at my pile of CW fabrics and can't imagine using them all-EVER!! Lots and lots of mini's! So, QE, when are you going to be my partner in the Doll Quilt swap?!
    jillnjo

Awwwww ... so you like the grey and red? Then you could have the sashing and cornerstones figured out. Try them both ways. Or how about the grey and blue? Try spacing them out on your carpet the width the sashing would be and put in some blue/red squares. Then reverse it to audition blue/red for sashing possibilities. Is there anything in your stash that's possible?

As for a doll quilt ... I haven't followed the swaps at this point. Let me get the FWS done, and then I'll only have about a thousand PhDs and no doubt will be ready to start more new things! And yes, I'm sticking to my guns, no new projects til FWS is done. Are you already in the land of minis and doll quilts?

Quilting ... I don't quilt! Well, I am learning machine quilting. However, I am far from good enough at it to want to risk ruining my FWS. So mine will be heading off to my LAQ, and my thoughts for now will be I will turn her loose on custom quilting. I totally trust her! PC ... maybe I'll be ready to tackle it when the time comes?

Blog Entries
    So, QE, when are you going to be my partner in the Doll Quilt swap?! Believe me you won't be disappointed when you get a DQ from jnj, QE. I can guarantee that you want mine! I'm still in awe over it! jnj is way too modest; her quilting skills are top notch. So you just better get that giddiup a goin and get this done so you can join us in the DQS!
    Going to go post 4 more blocks (16 + 17) (21 +22). Won't be long and I'll show my first 25--about time, right?
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho

Quote Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
    So, QE, when are you going to be my partner in the Doll Quilt swap?! Believe me you won't be disappointed when you get a DQ from jnj, QE. I can guarantee that you want mine! I'm still in awe over it! jnj is way too modest; her quilting skills are top notch. So you just better get that giddiup a goin and get this done so you can join us in the DQS!
    Going to go post 4 more blocks (16 + 17) (21 +22). Won't be long and I'll show my first 25--about time, right?

Yessssssss!! more blocks coming from you!! And soon at the quarter century mark!
    Do you pick your partners for these DQS'? Or is it a lucky draw?
    And .... do I have to learn to handquilt for these doll quilts? Ain't.Gonna.Happen!!!!!

Tonight ... I'm trotting into Pony Club land!

Oh, yes, the Doll Quilt Swap is only for HAND QUILTERS!!! Not really QE, it's for everyone and any skill level! You can whip one up pretty quickly and yes, it's always a lucky draw! ( And everyone is always lucky).
    jillnjo

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast